Gen 1 Dashboard repair/replacement

Spike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It had to happen sooner or later. Some of the "soft touch" grey paint on my '93 dash got scratched off and now I am faced with the dilemma of repairing or replacing the dash/console/door handle surrounds. I have heard that this paint is very difficult to obtain or costly. My question is, what has everyone else with an early model car done if this has happened to you. What kind of cost issues am I looking at for replacing it or getting it repainted? Thanks in advance.

Scott "Spike" Keeton

Rich Detert

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As far as replacement, I've heard the main dash costs about $350-$400.

What I did was paint mine (I went with textured black paint). It wasn't too hard to do.

If you want I can e-mail you some pics of my dash, and tell you what it took to paint it (What kind and color of paint).

Just let me know. [email protected]

Reaction score
I bought a new one (I thought it was ~$250, but who knows) in black. It doesn't scratch, looks better, easy to install and cleans up with zaino or windex

Rich Detert

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's a pic of my dash painted black and what it took to do it.

Time wise figure a weekend (or about 3 evenings) to prep and paint the dash. I painted it myself (but I was a bodyman & painter before I went to Chrysler).

Preparation is the key to having it hold up and not flake off. I washed it down with wax & grease remover, then with Castrol Super Clean, rinsed it.

Then wet sanded it with #500 grit wet or dry sandpaper, then washed it again with dishwashing detergent & water. Used an air hose to blow it dry, then let it air dry overnight.

The next day, blow it off with an air hose to remove any dust. Then primed it with plastic primer, let that flash off (5-10 min dry), then primed it with black epoxy primer. Let that dry 1-2 hours, sand out any dust nubs, Then paint with Organasl Black Lacquer (it's the textured black used on old Mopar Musclecars). I can get you the paint code (got some in the garage).

Let it dry (preferably overnight, but 3-4 hours will do), then reinstall dash.

I painted it last January and it seems to be holding up fine.
(And if anyone wonders why I didn't paint my own stripes, PRICE! They did it WAY cheaper than I would even consider doing it for.)
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images