Gen 1 headlamp switch melted...again

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, this is getting annoying. 2 years ago, my headlamp switch melted, causing the lights to flicker at times. I posted on here and found out that the switch was part of a Ram diesel recall (why not for Vipers as well?????? :mad:), so I purchased the recall part from Dodge and had it installed. I noticed my last 2 times of night driving that I thought I saw my headlights flickering again. So, I dropped that lower panel under the steering wheel today and as soon as I climbed under there, I see a green wire noticeably burnt/melted coming from the switch :mad: I know car manufacturers will have problems and need to recall some parts, but damn can't they at least get the recall parts right???? I know the switch itself is available in the aftermarket world (Napa, Advance Auto, etc), but doesn't come with any of the wires. The Dodge recall part comes with the switch and wires. My question is, should I buy another recall switch from Dodge and hope it doesn't melt again or just go aftermarket and buy new wire as well?

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can't say what you should do here Chad, but if you do get an aftermarket switch could you post the part # and where you bought. I am pretty sure I need to replace my headlight switch also, since I can't get the highbeams to stay on by themselves.

DJ'sviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you sure the dealer just didn't give you a switch off the shelf instead of the recall switch?

CamanoViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't leave your dash lights dimmed just slightly. Either drive with them full on or 50% or more dimmed. It's when they are just slightly dim that the most current passes through the switch and it overheats. This is a problem with all switches that have resistor dimmers, just some are better at handling and/or dissipating the heat than others.

OP
OP
V

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't leave your dash lights dimmed just slightly. Either drive with them full on or 50% or more dimmed. It's when they are just slightly dim that the most current passes through the switch and it overheats. This is a problem with all switches that have resistor dimmers, just some are better at handling and/or dissipating the heat than others.

Thanks for the info. When I drive with the lights on, my dashlights are either 100% on or dimmed way down (like 90% dimmed), so I don't think thats my problem either. I think its just a crappy switch design, much like Gen 1 headgaskets and a couple other crappy parts Vipers are known for (power steering bracket, pulley and cap come to mind). Dodge better be glad I love the Viper or I may be ready to buy a hairpiece, wind breaker and start Z06 shopping :lmao:

I'm going to call Chuck in a little bit and see what the weak part is....is it the switch overheating the wire or is the wire just too small and melting as a result? If its the switch, I'm hoping to find the recall switch in stock and find an aftermarket switch at Napa or somewhere. That way, I can get the colorcoded wire from the recall kit and use the aftermarket switch. If its the wire, I'll buy the recall kit and use the switch and buy better wire from somewhere else. I'll post what happens later today.

Scorch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you running aftermarket headlamp bulbs? Many are rated at higher wattages than the factory wiring and switch would be designed for.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you running aftermarket headlamp bulbs? Many are rated at higher wattages than the factory wiring and switch would be designed for.

Do the headlights run through a relay? Therefore meaning the choice of lamps puts the burden on the relay contacts, not the headlamp switch contacts?

OP
OP
V

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm running stock bulbs...Chuck said these switch have been a problem even before the Viper came out (they were used in a van as well and were bad about melting). He suggested I buy the recall kit so I get everything I need vs. just a switch if I bought aftermarket. I think I'll buy the recall kit to get the wires and everything else and use an aftermarket switch sense the OEM switch seems to be the weak link

OP
OP
V

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy rip-me-a-new-butthole Batman! The recall switch kit that was $45 a year ago now lists for $118! I called Chuck to confirm the price and that my dealer wasn't ripping me off. Nice of Chrysler to almost triple the cost of a recall part for a switch that has been KNOWN defective since BEFORE 1992 (on at least 3 different vehicles...vans, Ram diesels and Vipers). I woke up this morning to see if I needed to wear a turtleneck to work, but didn't see any hickey marks, so obviously Chrysler didn't even kiss me after this one. Come to think of it, I do have one bodypart they can kiss!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a lot of wing sauce and Bud Light that won't be consumed now. I'll mail you some emergency funds Chad. I'd hate to have ******* file a missing persons report for lack of your whereabouts.

Dave's Big Brakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Chad,

Hmmmmmm:omg: it's not the switch:nono: it's those ****** girls sitting on the switch melting it:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:Way too many amps and BTU's:usa:

But keep the pictures coming:2tu: and a good supply of switches:D

Big Brake Dave:drive:

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you just run the switch to some relays and keep from the current from going through the switch itself?

It's a common mod for the 79-93 mustangs. The lights would actually be brighter after the relay mod as they were getting the full 12v+. Running through the switch they would only get about 11v.

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chad,

I had the same issue with my 95. After replacing it once with the older style switch and it melting I called Chuck the Wizard and he informed me that the old part # had been superseded by a new part #. The new switch now has a relay on it. I received the new part from Chuck complete with relay, new plug, shrink wrap, connectors and switch. This was 3 years ago and I have not had any issues. So my answer to you is to call Chuck and get the new part.

Hope this helps,
Ed

IL96RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My headlight switch in my 96 rt 10 melted last August and it cost me $545 to have it replaced it was ridiculous. Hope they used a newer one on mine b/c It would really piss me off if it melts again.

OP
OP
V

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chad,

I had the same issue with my 95. After replacing it once with the older style switch and it melting I called Chuck the Wizard and he informed me that the old part # had been superseded by a new part #. The new switch now has a relay on it. I received the new part from Chuck complete with relay, new plug, shrink wrap, connectors and switch. This was 3 years ago and I have not had any issues. So my answer to you is to call Chuck and get the new part.

Hope this helps,
Ed

I replaced mine 2 years ago, so I should have received the new kit as well. I ordered the recall kit part # that Jay Herbert told me to order. He had recently replaced the switch in his Gen 1. If it had been superceded to a new #, I doubt the dealer could even order the old part #. I think I'll double check with Chuck just to be sure I got the new updated part # this time though, just for peace of mind. But even if I got the old part #, its too late now. Its already been installed and I'm not gonna pay the labor again to rip it out and install a newer new switch. I'll just hope this one doesn't melt. I prob just got a bad recall part 2 years ago...thats my luck. Thanks for the info though!

My headlight switch in my 96 rt 10 melted last August and it cost me $545 to have it replaced it was ridiculous. Hope they used a newer one on mine b/c It would really piss me off if it melts again.

$545? Geezus! Ok, I'll quit ******** about the $180 it cost me. Why so much??? The guy who installed mine has been a friend for many years and is the same guy who installed switch #1. It took him 2+ hours this time (I thought he did it quicker the 1st time), but he only charged me 1 hour labor ($76). When he finished, he called me at work and said "this damn thing better last you forever this time, it kicked my @$$"

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
V10SpeedLuvr;2523070[COLOR=red said:
]....Holy rip-me-a-new-butthole Batman! The recall switch kit that was $45 a year ago now lists for $118! I called Chuck to confirm the price and that my dealer wasn't ripping me off. [/color].....

This well-documented issue goes back to early Rams, gas or diesel, vans too. Parts Bin Parts in Vipers.

Chad, et al, I just dont understand the thought process here. Maybe Im just too old. Chad, I like you and would help you any way I could, as you have helped me.... but I DON'T GET THIS:

-We just spent a bloodletting battle to ensure TATOR Dodge would be around for a while.
-Chad is/was a VCA prez, and VCA Website Prize coordinator.
-Chad describes how he calls and picks Tator's brain (again) for VALUABLE switch intelligence WHICH COULD SAVE HIS CAR FROM SELF-IMMOLATION.
-Chad secures Chuck's recommendation to buy the recall Dodge kit.

Now, here is what I dont understand, as so many people here do the same.....

After picking the VCA vendor Chuck's brain, and using his (valuable) time, the caller then prices it at a local dealer (subject to sales tax) and / or tries to find it cheaper elsewhere. This used up even MORE of the caller's time, whose time is also worth something, right?
On the MSRP $118 part, Chuck offers it for $95 and profits about $14. He gives (us) a bigger discount than he earns. Chuck's FREE ADVICE was not free: His time costs too.

So HERE IS MY QUESTION: Do you wear your "SAVE TATOR" T shirts on the way to NAPA or your local dealer? Think about it....

ACCELER8R Ed did the right thing.... Like Dr Laura says: "Now, go do the right thing"

Oops.....my age is showing.... Dr Laura is not on the radio at *******!

Last edited:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon,
I will bet that Chuck told him to go order it locally, but I have been wrong before. Waiting to see what ******'s boy says......................................:D:D:D

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shame on you Chad...:nono: Don't you know that half of all advertising dollars are wasted? Not only did you not order from Chuck, but you didn't bother to check with Partsrack either. The only valid excuse you can counter with is that you had your hands full with ******* girls and they clouded your judgment OR Tator didn't have the kit in stock and told you, no demanded you find it elsewhere. Either one will do.

OP
OP
V

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's my excuse:

I knew I was going to be driving the car a lot at night this weekend and wanting to avoid having the switch melt entirely and not have any headlights, I needed the work done ASAP. I let Chuck know this when I talked to him. I called Chuck to verify there wasn't a recall on the recall part (I worked at Ford and they had this happen on a cruise control harness) and to see whether the switch or wiring was the problem. I just didn't have time to trust the USPS not to lose/damage/delay the package this time. The work had to be done on Monday or Tues. (due to my work schedule). Had it been something non-time sensitive, I would've ordered from Chuck no doubt. I PREFER to order my OEM parts from Chuck and any used/aftermarket parts from Jon. This was one of those times when I needed to get the part locally due to a time restraint. Yes, I picked Chuck's brain this time. Let the beating commence :(

Last edited:

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chad if you replaced it two years ago and did not have to wire in a new relay you did not get the new part. Like I mentioned the new part comes complete with relay, new plug, short wires that you need to splice in and even the heat shrink. Maybe it was 2 years ago I replaced it, can't always remember.

Ed

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Here's my excuse:

........I PREFER to order my OEM parts from Chuck and any used/aftermarket parts from Jon. This was one of those times when I needed to get the part locally due to a time restraint. Yes, I picked Chuck's brain this time. Let the beating commence ....

Chad, thanks for candidly and tactfully letting me make my point.

JonB, at your service.........

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chad, thanks for candidly and tactfully letting me make my point.

JonB, at your service.........

I can withstand a beating every now and then ;) It looks like Tator is about to get $1k of my money, which should more than cover the $13 profit on the headlight recall kit I didn't buy from him :D

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/613342-anyone-got-gen-1-head-gasket-set.html

I'll think of something I need from you soon, I'm sure. I've still got my $25 Venom credit to use. Got any $24.99 fuzzy dice? (I kid, I kid) :lmao:

V

Venomiss

+1 except that I'm not kidding. I've been looking for a QUALITY set for ages where the dots are preferably sewed on instead of glued on, still haven't seen any good ones.

The fuzzy dice from the Vegas VOI are sewed on. I just looked at them.:)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang