Gen 1 Power Adders VS NA power

Goatman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looking for tuners thoughts, I have a buddy looking to make 600rwhp on a 94 Viper. He has about a 10k budget. Right now the car only has a full exhaust system, belanger headers-back. He was looking into anything that will get him there. within his budget.

NOS:
He wants no part of,

Superchargers:
Roe kits are hard to come by.
Paxton?
Kenny Belle?

TT:
I know a guy on here has a TT Gen 1, is it out of the price range?

N/A:
What would take to get him to here with this? Heads, Cam, P&P?

I tried the search, and had no results.

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TT kits are way out of his price range. I built my TT gen 1 for well under 10k, but I built and tuned the system myself. If all he wants is 600whp, then a roe or a paxton would be his best bet, for price, and reliability.

OP
OP
G

Goatman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Andy,

Your car is actually what got his hopes up. If we could get a TT kit and install it ourselves I'm sure we would be capable. But the tuning aspect of things is where I have no knowledge or experience and that's where we would be lost. He would prefer not to go paxton if it was possible but if it was his only option in his price range he will.

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the cheapest TT kit is like 15k ish new, and will require install and tuning. I don't know if they will fit Gen 1's either. You *may* get lucky and find a used kit, but I'm sure it will still be 8 to 10k and may need some parts, and may not be geared towards the Gen 1.

Trust me when I say a supercharger setup will be cheaper, easier to install, less problematic. There is a reason half of the TT kits/cars go up for sale after they are built.....

OP
OP
G

Goatman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Trusted. I guess that leaves it with 4 options, Paxton, Roe, Kenne belle (if it can be done), and NA..

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had Nitrous on my 94 and it was a friggen blast but I hated pulling the bottles out and taking them to get refilled but I made crazy HP and TQ. I took that out and went with a Paxton and never looked back. I could have made more power with different add-ons but I believe I was at 565HP and 605TQ if my memory serves me correctly. I paid right around 10K installed.

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the cheapest TT kit is like 15k ish new, and will require install and tuning. I don't know if they will fit Gen 1's either. You *may* get lucky and find a used kit, but I'm sure it will still be 8 to 10k and may need some parts, and may not be geared towards the Gen 1.

Trust me when I say a supercharger setup will be cheaper, easier to install, less problematic. There is a reason half of the TT kits/cars go up for sale after they are built.....

In your opinion, what would you are some of the reasons for TT being unreliable or for sale after builds are done....im thinking of going that route and would love some information there.

Sorry not trying to highjack the thread as i would also like to know the best option here, especially, between the makes of SC and add ons or extras associated with each,,,beef up shafts, fuel pumps, cooling sysytem, etc....

viper67wife

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to check the dyno sheet, but ours is pushing about 500 to the wheels. Headers, roller rockers, cam, Belanger headers and exhaust, not sure what else. If he already has exhaust done, under 10K is reasonable, and I know a place where you can get Greg Good heads (cheap). We talked to Lee at Archer Racing last summer about the next performance mods, and he said we were really maxed out. We do have wing/splitter combo (which is needed when you break about 140 mph).

Diane

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trusted. I guess that leaves it with 4 options, Paxton, Roe, Kenne belle (if it can be done), and NA..

Roe kit=Kenne Bell and like you said they're pretty hard to come by.

You may also need a good fuel system and you will need an engine management system like a VEC 2/3.

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In your opinion, what would you are some of the reasons for TT being unreliable or for sale after builds are done....im thinking of going that route and would love some information there.

The whole build process of a TT system, even in kit form, is tedious, frustrating and time consuming. The oil return system is probably the biggest part of the system and can cause you a lot of grief before, during and after the build. These systems also generate a tremendous amount of heat, and the FMIC restricts a lot of air flow to the rad.

As for why they go for sale, there are a few reasons I think. (just my speculation) People get in over their heads when they realize how much work is involved in getting the car built, tuned and get all the bugs worked out so that it is fun to drive again. It can be a looonnngggg process and it's easy to get frustrated and just dump the project. Another is money, I'm sure people finish the project and realize they have 30-100k invested in a 30k car that still has a few nagging issues. It's easy to get caught up in the build with "may as well while we're in there". The third is giving someone, who thinks 400hp is fast, the keys to a 1khp TT car for the first time and having them go out and crap their pants.

Sorry not trying to highjack the thread as i would also like to know the best option here, especially, between the makes of SC and add ons or extras associated with each,,,beef up shafts, fuel pumps, cooling sysytem, etc....

There are lots of options, pros/cons, etc to all that. Everyone has different opinions on what is best, so you should decide what your end goal for the car is and start working towards that.

OP
OP
G

Goatman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
IEATVETS,

Do you have any pictures of your Paxton set up? We live in Texas so we are concerned about heat soak on track days or spirited drives. Do you experience a large drop in power after a while behind the wheel?

Last edited:

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I have a few pics in my gallery here on the site but PM me your email address and I will send you few pics.

I did notice some loss of power after longer spirited drives but nothing really major or concerning. I think that is somethng you have to deal with when you have a blower. It is a lot hotter in Texas than it is here in Wisconsin so it may be more prevalent for you but I can't say for sure. All I know is having a blower is worth every penny!!

slowfrc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The whole build process of a TT system, even in kit form, is tedious, frustrating and time consuming. The oil return system is probably the biggest part of the system and can cause you a lot of grief before, during and after the build. These systems also generate a tremendous amount of heat, and the FMIC restricts a lot of air flow to the rad.

As for why they go for sale, there are a few reasons I think. (just my speculation) People get in over their heads when they realize how much work is involved in getting the car built, tuned and get all the bugs worked out so that it is fun to drive again. It can be a looonnngggg process and it's easy to get frustrated and just dump the project. Another is money, I'm sure people finish the project and realize they have 30-100k invested in a 30k car that still has a few nagging issues. It's easy to get caught up in the build with "may as well while we're in there". The third is giving someone, who thinks 400hp is fast, the keys to a 1khp TT car for the first time and having them go out and crap their pants.

All this talk about high build costs, what about the RSI street kit? I know it's for gen 2s and I assume it's for gen 1s too. I thought it was 12k installed. I'm sure once you dig into your motor you find some more stuff that should be done but is it really another 10k worth?

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All this talk about high build costs, what about the RSI street kit? I know it's for gen 2s and I assume it's for gen 1s too. I thought it was 12k installed. I'm sure once you dig into your motor you find some more stuff that should be done but is it really another 10k worth?

Well, their website says that it's 17,500 for their TT street system, not sure if it is the installed price or not. I have seen a few comments from "the other site" stating that they have raised their TT kit price as it was an "introductory" price. Best bet is to call them and get a direct quote.

I did just read that "big 3 racing starts the viper turbo kits at $12k installed", so if you look around, you might be able to find a shop to build you a kit.

As with any project, home/auto/business, always budget more so you don't run out of money before the car is finished.

slowfrc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, their website says that it's 17,500 for their TT street system, not sure if it is the installed price or not. I have seen a few comments from "the other site" stating that they have raised their TT kit price as it was an "introductory" price. Best bet is to call them and get a direct quote.

I did just read that "big 3 racing starts the viper turbo kits at $12k installed", so if you look around, you might be able to find a shop to build you a kit.

As with any project, home/auto/business, always budget more so you don't run out of money before the car is finished.

Well this certainly is unwelcome news. I was thinking of giving them some business at 12k (leaving room for more work) but now that they've raised the price 50% I'm not so sure.

OP
OP
G

Goatman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
An RSI TT kit would be awesome, but I think it might take even more money to retro fit the system to Gen 1 from Gen 2. Unfortunately I think we might just be down to a Paxton or N/A. There is a handful of other shops around town I am going to make some calls next week to see what I can come up with. Now that I am home from work, I can do more research and maybe get some ground covered. Thanks for all the helpful responses.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
7016Paxton2.JPG

Yep, loved the Paxton in my Gen1 all kinds of HP and TQ. Tuning I have to admit was a bit lengthy but once it was dialed in, you could drive it anywhere without any worries.