Gen 1 with low miles

canadian venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I might be interesated in buying a low mileage gen1 (less than 5k) what can i expect ???? Its an almost 20 years old garage queen and i paln to drive 2-3 k a year with it. Is there a lots of parts I might need to replace? Thanks for your imputs:)

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Basic stuff really, tires for sure if they are original. But also, the Gen I cars suffered from faulty headgaskets. Look for trails of anti-freeze down the side of the block.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Original headgaskets fail...... easy DIY job if you're so inclined, otherwise a couple grand at the dealer.
It needs new tires badly!
Learn the proper way to handle the hood.

That's about all I have. These cars are soild and reliable. You're probably gonna want to swap all the fluids, swap plug wires and maybe hoses too...

You're gonna love that car!

Cheers

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely check the radiator hose... 20 year old rubber.
I'd also ask when was the last time driven/started? Nice to know it wasn't just sitting for the last 15 years.

BC Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree with all of the posts by the other owners... also, make sure it does not take longer than 3 seconds for the engine to turn over when starting. If it takes longer than that, the car may need a fuel pump (like my '95 did). But there is a way to avoid this by priming the car three times before actually starting - search the forum for details on this (personally, I felt better getting it replaced).

Does it come with any aftermarket Hard Top/side windows??? The factory soft-top and side curtains are functional and will work... but as I am noticing after owning mine for almost 2 years, a Hard Top and some form of 'windows' would be great to have for long trips, or just cruising during 'colder' months in the year...

Last and MOST important: have fun with car as life is short (so enjoy it whenever you can!!!). BUT - treat the Snake with respect, too!:2tu:

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I gotta tell you i must have been lucky with my GEN 1. I raced my GEN 1 Religously and i never had a head gasket problem. I ran it hard from 1996 to either 2003 or 2004. No head gasket problems.

viper209

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Original owner 92 #209. Was garaged for 15 years with 6k miles. Bill was even 10k from local dealer including headgaskets to make as new. 2 months later drove to VOI 10 (4k miles) and back and not 1 issue. Have 14k miles now and have not had any issues. PM and I can email copy of invoice.

OP
OP
C

canadian venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all your answer it wil help .....I'll keep you posted if I make the move...... I currently own a 2004 but always loved the gen1. I don't want to change mine but maybe she would be happy to happe an elder sister to speak with.....:omg:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
"Thanks but i stick with a fast red:D "

I understand...our Red Gen I (1.5) is SO much faster than our black Gen I...that the wheels on the red Viper turned yellow !!! :)

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're not too pure - just in need of a ride in it :) I do understand, they have enough power stock for normal use.

I went home to see the folks Sunday and took the RT. I will say It's really cool to be able to pass 4-5 cars at a time with plenty of safety margin (2 lane roads).

Gearhead Adam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a 100% stock black 1995 with 3,800 miles. I did gaskets and tires about 400 miles ago last year. Open to offers...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456