Gen 2 Fluids?

GeorgeJKatsoulis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apologies if this has already been discussed. I couldn't find what I needed. I have a 98 RT-10.

I am changing the differential fluid and the transmission fluid. I found conflicting information as I was doing research. For example, I was told that I need 4318060AB friction additive but AC and AD have come out after AB. Are they better?
Basically, I'm hoping someone can give me links to the 3 fluids that I need. Also, to flush the clutch, how do you go about doing that. Do you need to buy more that 2 quarts of diff fluid?

Thanks

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Generally speaking, the letters at the end of part numbers denote revisions and in pretty much any case I've ever seen, later letters are fully compatible with earlier letters. They will often list them as superseding the old part numbers. I wouldn't necessarily say they are better or worse though. It could be as simple as just being a vendor change with the same exact formula or maybe they tweaked it a little bit. Either way, I personally wouldn't worry about which one I got as long as the number is the same.

Transmission fluid on the gen 2s was Dexron III I believe, though you might be able to run the later ATF+4 as well. I would defer to others on that one though. Dexron III is still fairly readily available though, so probably not a bad idea to stay with it. I think there is actually a sticker on the side of the transmission that lists what fluid was in it originally at least. I put a 2000 Viper T56 in my 67 Dart and it had the Dexron sticker on the side. My gen 3 has a Castrol Syntorq sticker on it, but Tremec has told me ATF is fine to use as the Syntorq has gone out of production and is getting harder and harder to find.

I've never heard of flushing the clutches before. I would guess that would just be running fluid through the rear end a couple of times, but that seems pretty wasteful to me unless you are trying to revive an old rear end that hasn't been serviced in a long time. I'd just do the typical drain and fill with fresh stuff and go from there. Not sure what the gen 2 fluid was though. Gen 3 and up was Mopar 75W-140 synthetic. Might be okay in a gen 2, but hard to say without knowing the original spec off the top of my head.

OP
OP
G

GeorgeJKatsoulis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went with all Mopar. I figured that they did a pretty good job the first time so why not give them a shot. In my service manual, I can't find that changing the transmission fluid is required, so that has me a bit confused. I'm going to go ahead and do it anyway.
Thank you very much MoparMap for your input.
Product imageDescriptionQuantityPrice
You must be registered for see images attach

Differential Gear Fluid Lubricant Synthetic Oil 75W-140 Viper OEMLtd Slip Additive1$7.99

Differential Gear Fluid Lubricant Synthetic Oil 75W-140 Viper OEMGear Oil2$51.98

Transmission Fluid T56 6 Speed Viper OEM4$49.96