gen 3 intake on a gen 2?

SilverStreak

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How difficult is it to install a gen 3 intake on a gen 2
It would look interesting in my opinion.
Would there be any performance benefits?

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How difficult is it to install a gen 3 intake on a gen 2
It would look interesting in my opinion.
Would there be any performance benefits?

It bolts right on, BUT there aren't any documented performance benefits. The exception to this fact is that the gen3 intake can be more easily ported... so if you port a stock gen3 and bolt it up to a gen2 you _should_ get some benefit. But those that have gone Gen3 on Gen2 and stayed with it are very few.

OP
OP
S

SilverStreak

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It bolts right on, BUT there aren't any documented performance benefits. The exception to this fact is that the gen3 intake can be more easily ported... so if you port a stock gen3 and bolt it up to a gen2 you _should_ get some benefit. But those that have gone Gen3 on Gen2 and stayed with it are very few.

There seems to be more development qoing on with the gen 3 throttle bodies (x metal etc.) I thought form that stand point
The gen 3 intake might be better. I also think its attractive when polished

OP
OP
S

SilverStreak

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There seems to be more development qoing on with the gen 3 throttle bodies (x metal etc.) I thought form that stand point
The gen 3 intake might be better. I also think its attractive when polished

When you say "port it" are you referring to matching it to the throttle body and other joining surfaces or something beyond that?

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Good info Joseph. Somehow along the way I've forgotten how the Gen 3 gained 50hp over the Gen 2. It didn't get much from the 17ci increase, and if the intake isn't known to be a miracle worker, then what-it all came from the heads?

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen 3 is a 505 cid motor. longer stroke (up from 3.88 to 3.96) and bigger bore (from 4.0 to 4.035). the intake, when ported, isn't the TB's... it is opening up the entire intake.

And the heads on the gen3 are definitely better than the gen2's.

JD

OP
OP
S

SilverStreak

Viper Owner
Reaction score
why do people put them on then take them off? curious
would you see power gains from going with a aftermarket throttle body on the gen 3 intake. Not bigger TB just more refined.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No perfromance gain from a gen 3 intake and IMHO polished or not its not as impressive looking as a gen 2 intake.The only reason to use one is if there were a substancial weight reduction. GTS Bruce

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I asked one of the guys over on VA this question and this was the response I got from him.

If you na it's not worth it, new fuel lines, linkage, iac, etc... And you will lose torque and not gain any HP with stock heads. I did it because it solved a lot of plumbing issues for my turbo setup

OP
OP
S

SilverStreak

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Guys

I quess it isn't worth it. I thought it might be an interesting swap with a side effect of a bit more power. Guys on here seem to like the x metal
throttle bodies and thought it would boost power a little with out loosing any bottom end like the bigger gen 2 throttles bodies.

KingSnake97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put it on my turbo unit much cleaner look but there new wire hook ups that hve to be done. mine was installed at PBJ.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Gen 3 is a 505 cid motor. longer stroke (up from 3.88 to 3.96) and bigger bore (from 4.0 to 4.035). the intake, when ported, isn't the TB's... it is opening up the entire intake.

And the heads on the gen3 are definitely better than the gen2's.

JD

JD- Gen-3 is 4.030, not 4.035

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
No perfromance gain from a gen 3 intake and IMHO polished or not its not as impressive looking as a gen 2 intake.The only reason to use one is if there were a substancial weight reduction. GTS Bruce

Its definitely lighter, though I never actually put the two on a scale.

Looks are subjective, but I actually really like the way a Powdercoated Gen-3 manifold looks if fitted with a really nice set of fuel rails. Stock for stock though, NO comparison.

You must be registered for see images

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4