Gen 4/5 High Flow Heads

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just gauging how much interests there would be in a high flowing CNC'd head option with little down time? All heads well be tested and flowed before release with or without standard size valves. This is not a for sale thread this is just gauging interest thread.

OP
OP
S

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got a new set of heads to start working on :)

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
S

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is some other work were doing for my other car in hopes of producing 600Whp per liter :)

Specific tapered runners

velocity stacks on each runner entrance

Injector boss's, and flange to mate to plenum

Picture of the Cnc runners as they enter the CNC intake ports!

OP
OP
S

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have the Gen 4 or Gen 5 cam specs they seem to be really hard to track down for some reason?

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT09,

I have been told that the GEN 4/5 heads can achieve 800 HP at the crank without modification to the heads. The issue as has been related to me is fuel and cam, as well as, a few bottom end mods in order to strengthen the bottom.

From what I understand a solid cam is used which naturally makes the car more suitable for the track.

I would not be surprised to see different opinions with regard to this.

In regards to factory cam specs.... Have you called Arrow?

OP
OP
S

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just cause a head or system can make say 800hp doesn't mean its optimized to do it. We have already found some areas we can improve on but I will caution we aren't going for huge flow numbers at the sacrifice of velocity being NA velocity is as important if not more then flow. On a turbo or supercharger its not as big of an importance since your pushing the air through the motor. And yes I called Lee but haven't heard back from him yet, the cam is not mild stock so I think there is room for some solid gains throughout the power band. On a NA car big flow numbers often result in less power throughout the curve or even at peak.

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes your explanation makes sense. I wouldn't be surprised to see gains under the curve by modifying the cam actuating.

The thing that seems challenging is increasing the peak HP since the system relies on a variable cam and an actuator with inherent limitations.
Perhaps changing lobes size coupled with a large enough actuator might work.

OP
OP
S

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had a good long chat with Lee and wow he knows his stuff and I learned a lot from him. Thanks Lee!

Bob Woodhouse

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't find much incentive to massage a Gen V head. It has great numbers, and is accurate due to the factory CC. As we know, an increase in power comes from all links in the chain getting better, intake, C chamber, exhaust and all the subtopics within. I expect you could find power for less effort in other areas as you already are discussing; ie camshaft. Something I ponder is the peak horsepower number that is used for comparison purpose vs actual performance on the road or track. I don't want to hi-jack your thread, but the debate is a motor with less peak horsepower, given back to gain more torque and hp at a lower rpm would propel a car around a race track quicker than one with huge power at the top of the hp band.

OP
OP
S

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't find much incentive to massage a Gen V head. It has great numbers, and is accurate due to the factory CC. As we know, an increase in power comes from all links in the chain getting better, intake, C chamber, exhaust and all the subtopics within. I expect you could find power for less effort in other areas as you already are discussing; ie camshaft. Something I ponder is the peak horsepower number that is used for comparison purpose vs actual performance on the road or track. I don't want to hi-jack your thread, but the debate is a motor with less peak horsepower, given back to gain more torque and hp at a lower rpm would propel a car around a race track quicker than one with huge power at the top of the hp band.

The incentive is that until a tuning solution is provided myself and others are running into a wall. In the Factory head only a small portion is CNC'd and all CNCíng is accomplishing is consistency. A well flowing head that isn't hogged out should develop more power through out the power band. I also think anyone serious enough to put a head on there car will eventually do a cam once that is figured out and then the gains at that point should be a lot more with a high flowing head. I had a long conversation with Lee at Arrow and he confirmed a lot of my suspicions and gave me great insight into some other area's of interest. I'm hitting this project from several fronts including building my own S/S headers, exhaust, heads, and also doing some intake mods.

Lots of room for optimization here!

As you can see most of the actual port is not CnC'd

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to get a set of stock GEN-IV heads complete with rockers/valve covers since I've been toying with the idea of machining a new blower lower manifold assembly for use with a Whipple 4.0. I was in the process of doing that for GEN-II heads, but after seeing the design and flow numbers out of the GEN-IV, I stopped that development. I see new they are about $ 1800.00 ea with valves/springs but not rockers/valve covers. Maybe after a few more get wrecked, a guy can get a complete set a bit more reasonably....wishful at least.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would check with someone like Dan Craigen because mods of this type can easily produce a check engine senerio

OP
OP
S

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would check with someone like Dan Craigen because mods of this type can easily produce a check engine senerio

Might have missed my post I already talked to Lee in depth about this mod and other future mods! Very excited now :)

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Might have missed my post I already talked to Lee in depth about this mod and other future mods! Very excited now :)

This is very cool,....does Lee at Arrow have a tuning solution for being able to do a head and cam package in the works?? I'm not into FI, but man would I love a lopey cammed Gen 4 :2tu: If anybody has the answers to the tuning, I would think it is Lee and crew since they have done so many rebuilds for Chrysler.

Cheers,
George

OP
OP
S

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is very cool,....does Lee at Arrow have a tuning solution for being able to do a head and cam package in the works?? I'm not into FI, but man would I love a lopey cammed Gen 4 :2tu: If anybody has the answers to the tuning, I would think it is Lee and crew since they have done so many rebuilds for Chrysler.

Cheers,
George

This is the goal and it is being worked on as we speak :)

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps with the Factory being down this will allow some time for new performance modification packages to be announced?

Perhaps some type of FI or tuning.

OP
OP
S

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps with the Factory being down this will allow some time for new performance modification packages to be announced?

Perhaps some type of FI or tuning.

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for SRT to bring anything like that out :(

PaulP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT09, you working on gen 3 heads? im about 7 hours from you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadlick32