Gen 5 intake manifold on Gen 4 Questions?

nautoncall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have read somewhere about the benefits of the Gen 5 manifold on a Gen 4 but can't seem to find the information. What gains and what other things need to be done to get it to work?

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did my best to guide, but posting a link to the "other" website, even though it is now a read-only archive, automatically gets censored by this forum's filters, thus breaking the link.

There is some seriously petty ******** going on in this community, and I'm getting tired of it.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Steve...agree that most of us are on forums to expand our own knowledge and to share same with others.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I did my best to guide, but posting a link to the "other" website, even though it is now a read-only archive, automatically gets censored by this forum's filters, thus breaking the link.

There is some seriously petty ******** going on in this community, and I'm getting tired of it.

Can you use one of those link shortening websites by any chance? I'm frequently surprised by what words get censored on here sometimes. I'd rather still share knowledge and let people decide for themselves what they want to do.

OP
OP
N

nautoncall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That’s BS that post was taken down!! My YouTube video was taken down too where a guy did a pretty good job showing the process of changing intakes. Honest questions.. what’s a form for if not to gain knowledge?? What’s the purpose of this form?? Who is the one taking this down??

diamond head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That’s BS that post was taken down!! My YouTube video was taken down too where a guy did a pretty good job showing the process of changing intakes. Honest questions.. what’s a form for if not to gain knowledge?? What’s the purpose of this form?? Who is the one taking this down??

Money is the only thing that's driving the site now.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The forums here are actually independently run, so there's no real benefit to us locking content behind memberships. The filtering is a different matter and something that could probably get updated to some degree. Most of it is just general "family friendly" censoring as far as I'm aware, but sounds like we have a couple of other things in there.

RandyM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had one installed on my G4 ACR, the benefits are suppose to be larger ports, so better breathiing, higher performance, and cooler temperatures on the iontake.

OP
OP
N

nautoncall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RandyM, can you tell a difference? I just don't want to "waste" my money!!! Plus trying to decide how difficult it is and what extra parts I need for the swap. Thanks. Anyway, there is a Youtube video that a guy has done to show the swap. Not sure why that link was removed as well.

Old School

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen5 twin turbo boys have to swap to a Gen4 manifold since the plastic one's rupture under boost. Maybe you can find someone who wants to swap....

drasch21

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i think this is being caused by the old forum URLs being different now than whats linked everywhere.

the trick i found is to open up a thread on the old archive website(drive viper one) and then at the URL at the "threads" part, copy and paste the thread number...

Theres no easy way to fix this since they changed the actual pathing on the website.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think this is being caused by the old forum URLs being different now than whats linked everywhere.

the trick i found is to open up a thread on the old archive website(drive viper one) and then at the URL at the "threads" part, copy and paste the thread number...

Theres no easy way to fix this since they changed the actual pathing on the website.

That wasn't the issue in this case. I went back through the currently archived website to grab all links...the filter on this site blocks out the main part of the URL (the site name). That's the type of pettiness I'm referring to...the website name shouldn't be a censored term under any circumstances.

drasch21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That wasn't the issue in this case. I went back through the currently archived website to grab all links...the filter on this site blocks out the main part of the URL (the site name). That's the type of pettiness I'm referring to...the website name shouldn't be a censored term under any circumstances.
ah gotcha, misunderstood.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RandyM, can you tell a difference? I just don't want to "waste" my money!!! Plus trying to decide how difficult it is and what extra parts I need for the swap. Thanks. Anyway, there is a Youtube video that a guy has done to show the swap. Not sure why that link was removed as well.

Difficult? Not particularly.

- The old manifold comes out pretty easily - loosen all bolts, unhook the MAP sensor (passenger side rear of the intake), unhook the throttle bodies (no need to unplug them, just lay them aside), and pull all of the vacuum lines (one to the brake booster that attaches to the driver's side rear of the intake, the u-shaped mess underneath behind the throttle bodies that connects to the EVAP system, and the crankcase vent that goes to the passenger side front of the manifold)
- You won't be reusing the Gen 4 intake manifold bolts - they aren't the right length. If you buy a Gen 5 manifold from someone second-hand, make sure it comes with the bolts.
- The MAP sensor is a direct swap over to the Gen 5 manifold - unbolt it from the Gen 4 manifold and put it on the Gen 5 as-is
- The throttle bodies are a direct swap - the 2013-2014 Vipers used the same plastic throttle bodies that came on all '08-'10 Vipers.
- You'll have to do something with the torque/compression limiters since the Gen 4 heads aren't machined to accept them. You can either cut them yourself (I'd recommend doing it at an angle), or save yourself some time by buying the pre-made ones from Doug Shelby Engineering (which is what I did)
- You'll also have to do something with the crankcase vent - the stock Gen 4 setup comes out of the passenger side valve cover, takes an immediate 90 degree turn, and goes pretty much straight into the side of the Gen 4 intake. The Gen 5 manifold connection point for this is underneath - behind where the throttle bodies mount. This is where you'll have to be creative, but it depends on whether or not you already have an oil catch can. I did, so I had to go the custom route. There are lots of pre-formed rubber hoses out there with tight 90 degree bends...I ended up using one to make my new connection. Using the entire Gen 5 PCV hose setup isn't really an option unfortunately - they changed where the PCV valve comes out of the valve cover on the Gen 5s (it comes out of the side instead of out the front).
- I torqued the intake manifold bolts to 75 in-lbs - I think the book calls for 95 in-lbs, but I didn't want to take the chance of cracking the manifold. You'll have to retighten the bolts after each of the first few heat cycles, but that isn't hard to do.
- Make sure all vacuum lines are fully seated - I secured mine with zip ties. The ones to pay special attention to are the ones that make the u-shaped configuration behind the throttle bodies on the underside of the intake...those can get knocked loose easily and cause a vacuum leak.
- Tuning shouldn't be required...mine ran a bit richer at WOT after the manifold swap, but it wasn't a massive difference.

Bottom line: the hard parts are the compression limiters, which can be solved by sending Doug Shelby some money or by whipping out a Dremel, and the crankcase vent connection. The rest is just right-tighty, lefty loosey.

The real question: is it worth it?

Performance wise is a little more iffy. Will you notice 15-20 extra HP on top of an already 600 HP engine? Probably not. Every little bit adds up, but it isn't a night and day difference by any stretch of the imagination.

heath1225

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have done back to back dyno testing on Gen 4 vs Gen 5 intakes. Gen 5 was better in all aspects on my set up.

99RT10GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Rumble.com. Get on it!!!

99RT10GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Difficult? Not particularly.

- The old manifold comes out pretty easily - loosen all bolts, unhook the MAP sensor (passenger side rear of the intake), unhook the throttle bodies (no need to unplug them, just lay them aside), and pull all of the vacuum lines (one to the brake booster that attaches to the driver's side rear of the intake, the u-shaped mess underneath behind the throttle bodies that connects to the EVAP system, and the crankcase vent that goes to the passenger side front of the manifold)
- You won't be reusing the Gen 4 intake manifold bolts - they aren't the right length. If you buy a Gen 5 manifold from someone second-hand, make sure it comes with the bolts.
- The MAP sensor is a direct swap over to the Gen 5 manifold - unbolt it from the Gen 4 manifold and put it on the Gen 5 as-is
- The throttle bodies are a direct swap - the 2013-2014 Vipers used the same plastic throttle bodies that came on all '08-'10 Vipers.
- You'll have to do something with the torque/compression limiters since the Gen 4 heads aren't machined to accept them. You can either cut them yourself (I'd recommend doing it at an angle), or save yourself some time by buying the pre-made ones from Doug Shelby Engineering (which is what I did)
- You'll also have to do something with the crankcase vent - the stock Gen 4 setup comes out of the passenger side valve cover, takes an immediate 90 degree turn, and goes pretty much straight into the side of the Gen 4 intake. The Gen 5 manifold connection point for this is underneath - behind where the throttle bodies mount. This is where you'll have to be creative, but it depends on whether or not you already have an oil catch can. I did, so I had to go the custom route. There are lots of pre-formed rubber hoses out there with tight 90 degree bends...I ended up using one to make my new connection. Using the entire Gen 5 PCV hose setup isn't really an option unfortunately - they changed where the PCV valve comes out of the valve cover on the Gen 5s (it comes out of the side instead of out the front).
- I torqued the intake manifold bolts to 75 in-lbs - I think the book calls for 95 in-lbs, but I didn't want to take the chance of cracking the manifold. You'll have to retighten the bolts after each of the first few heat cycles, but that isn't hard to do.
- Make sure all vacuum lines are fully seated - I secured mine with zip ties. The ones to pay special attention to are the ones that make the u-shaped configuration behind the throttle bodies on the underside of the intake...those can get knocked loose easily and cause a vacuum leak.
- Tuning shouldn't be required...mine ran a bit richer at WOT after the manifold swap, but it wasn't a massive difference.

Bottom line: the hard parts are the compression limiters, which can be solved by sending Doug Shelby some money or by whipping out a Dremel, and the crankcase vent connection. The rest is just right-tighty, lefty loosey.

The real question: is it worth it?

Performance wise is a little more iffy. Will you notice 15-20 extra HP on top of an already 600 HP engine? Probably not. Every little bit adds up, but it isn't a night and day difference by any stretch of the imagination.

Thank you Steve. You are the GOAT when it comes to helping Viper people

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth