Gen I Auto Door Opener?

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys, I read about an auto door opener for Gen I cars. Sounds like an attractive upgrade. Does anyone know where I can find such a gizmo?

Thanks

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are called door poppers. Califonia co. makes them. Had them installed on my car by chuck tator. They are great!

Chuck coded them to my key fob.

Adam

OP
OP
R

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yep just read through the installation instructions. Seemed straight forward. I wish I had a Tator down here! HA!

Thanks guys..

Jody

Greg W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simple and cheap addition. You can do it yourself. Believe me, if I did it, you can too. The illustrated upgrades show all. Costs less than $50.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jody,
Order the 2 poppers as described in the Illustrated Instructions, and do it yourself - take your time.
Email or call me for the word documents pertaining to the installation. I have kept the installation documents a little more up to date than the on line instructions.
(425) 226 6803

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best upgrade I've done is the door poppers, thanks to Don!

One word of caution though, I just had the dreaded "manual lock, auto door open" problem happen. Search for posts on help I can't get my door open. It seems that if the planets are aligned wrong and you manually lock the door and then try to open it with a popper it may cause the latch to fail. The cure is a very painful process (reaching into the door with it closed and making your own tool to click a little latch that Viper owners should never have to know about!). So when you put in your poppers, wire the locks open too so it is impossible to lock them manually.

Don, if you haven't already, you might want to add that tip to your instructions.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Patrick / All,
Here are the contents of my Word Document that I have for installation; perhaps the "Illustrated Updates" editor can grab this and add it to the instructions.

DOOR POPPER FOR ‘93 THROUGH '96 VIPER ROADSTERS

USAGE TIP #1 MANUAL DOOR LOCKS

Just a piece of information that you will probably find "common sense", but just in case:

Remember the door openers function just like your door handles, only electrically;
THEREFORE, DO NOT ROTATE THE MANUAL DOOR LOCK TO THE LOCK POSITION when exiting the car and activiting your alarm, if you just leave the car not alarmed and use the unlock button (key fob) to pop open the door. The electric opener WILL NOT release the manual door lock, just like the door handles will not release the lock allowing the door to open.
For best results, and to avoid future complications, disconnect the manual locking rod that connects the manual rocker lock switch to the door lock mechanism.

Later,

Nefarian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you guys just made my day!I am planning to be tinkering in the BMW this week and that would be an awesome addition! So I hit the button to unlock the doors then i hit the button for the aux. channel and it pops the door? how far does it open it?

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you guys just made my day!I am planning to be tinkering in the BMW this week and that would be an awesome addition! So I hit the button to unlock the doors then i hit the button for the aux. channel and it pops the door? how far does it open it?

There is some built-in spring tension that will pop the door open.
It generally is adequate unless the car is leaning the other way.
It helps to add a SS- spring loaded pin - that you can pick up for around $19
- just do a search on the web (door poppers) - that are a number of companies that sell them.

gotV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
can someone post close pics of the aftermarket door popers...i am interested in installig them on my 94.
Ryan

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, thanks guys, got it all fixed. Had to go back into it today because it seems everytime I autocross I get a little more tension in the popper cable. That inevitably ends up keeping the interior light on and killing the battery. So I went in a loosened it up again today.

Works like a charm though and I love the reaction people have when they want a ride and walk towards the passenger door and I use the popper to open it for them. They always look at me with that amazed look and I just say "Hey, the car sensed your presence, decided you were a nice person and opened the door for you, didn't your ever watch Knight Rider?" They always believe me!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4