Gen I fan upgrade???

bigr1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have been reading the achives and i have a question. since my temperatures are seemingly high in street driving and traffic, wil upgrading to a 1999+ fan reduce my driving temperatures quicker?

if so, has anyone here modified their Gen I viper with the 1999+ fan? did you notice any inprovements over stock? also, how difficult was the installation and what did it entail?

thanks.

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny you ask....there is no upgrade you can do. I know this since Vipermed is currently working on my car and wanted a radiator upgrade. The best bet is to get a Sean Roe fan kit and get a Penzoil radiator flush kit and mount the "T" filling plug on the upper heater housing hose by the passenger hood latch. This helps in removing the air out of the system. He sent my radiator out to a specialized radiator builder to install a 4 core radiator in place of my old one. The fan shroud is the entire front end of the car, so don't even try it. I will have pics really soon of it if your interested. I hope I helped....

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fan 99+ fan upgrade, would be a good upgrade for your
problems. It is way more powerful, but it pulls a lot more
amps. The fan wiring circuit on your car will have to be
monitored after you install the new fan. But, it will work,
and it will solve a lot of your problems.
If you upgrade and have problems, e-mail me.
I have been there, and can answer wiring questions(problems)
if they come up.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are your tempatures in street driving? Some people think 180 or 190 is high but that's the working tempature.

Try Zerex Super Racing Coolant instead of antifreeze. It has all the corrosion protection of antifreeze but it has no cold protection and has 25% more cooling capacity than it.

Don't forget to drain and all coolant if you are in a winter state.

OP
OP
B

bigr1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i am going to put the Zerex in it eventually.

i have noticed that in street driving, is going all the way over to the last marker before the 250 marker, and its only 40-60 degrees outside right now. my concern is in the summer it will get up to 80-100 degrees.

thoughts???

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have a Gen I, but I can attest that the temperature gauge in my 01 GTS is horribly inaccurate. We hooked up the Ease scan tool software on a PDA and/or laptop to the OBDC II connection and monitored the coolant temperature from the computer. We noticed a fluctuation of almost 10 degrees at different times at the same spot on the gauge. The fan was doing what it's supposed to do -- come on at 207 and turn off at 199. While I've seen the needle hit the 3/4 mark you describe on the gauge, the coolant temp reading was at most 215, not the 225 that you'd think the gauge said it was. Anyway, try the fan upgrade mentioned in previous posts. But if there's any way to use a scan tool to monitor temperature, you ought to try that -- you might find that it's not as big a problem as you think.

kARLUG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If all else fails, consider getting an aluminum radiator
from Ron Davis in Arizona. They make a great "drop in"
fit radiator for Gen 1's. Good company, very helpful,
excellent service. Stay cool!!

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Red:

Do you know if there is a weight savings with the aluminum radiator?

kARLUG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jack: I'm sure that there is a small weight reduction but
it is not significant. I didn't actually weigh it but it
didn't feel much lighter than the stock unit. The Davis
unit is thicker than stock.

Thanks, Sam

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members