Gen I starting problems aka How to disengage clutch start switch

Lexciting

Viper Owner
Reaction score
HELP!!!!

Basic info: 1994 Gen I, clutch does has some side to side freeplay, fuel pump is working, new battery and accessories work, just the car will not start.

I have been having issues starting the car with me having to press the clutch all the way to the floor HARD in order to get it start. Yesterdatm I come out of PetSmart, and no matter how hard to the floor I pushed, car won't start. Removed carpet and gave it an even harder push to the floor and it barely engaged to start. I know it is that switch, but I can't locate it.

Did a search, and found a brief description on how to do it... but ...

Can and How do you disconnect/bypass this feature? I looked in the footwell and didn't see the wires or even how it engages.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Common problem on the Gen I's. I had this same issue on my Gen I and had the pedal assembly replaced under warranty.

I have heard of people rebuilding the clutch pedal assembly's, by replacing the bushings or something and bending the pedal back toward the center console.

I will look in my 95 service manual when I get home and see if they show a wiring diagram for it.

Ed

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a switch mounted to the clutch pedal near the pivot; it runs up to the wiring harness under the knee bolster. You can't miss it as it is the only wiring connected to the clutch pedal.
I disabled mine with a short piece of safety wire (any wire will do) stuck inside the connector, as I didn't want to have to step on the clutch in order to start the car. If I want it back to "normal", I just have to pull the jumper out. You could always just cut the wiring and solder the two wires together, but I didn't want to do anything not easily reversible....

OP
OP
L

Lexciting

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok. I found the 2 yellow wires that lead up to a green connector from the clutch. Is this what I am looking for? Now what do I do?

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unplug the connector and make a small jumper wire that will take the place of the switch plug located on the pedal assembly. All you are doing is creating a loop for the signal be it voltage or ground.

Or you could just splice the wires together.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4