Gen. II Hood on Gen. I

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I poked around and couldn't find anything on this.

Has anyone here put a Gen. II hood on a Gen. I? I've seen a couple of instances where an individual has retrofitted the brake vents and NACA duct on a smoothie hood on a Gen. I, but I was wondering if the entire hood is a direct replacement or if it takes some finessing and massaging. When I first inquired about it when I had just gotten my car, our local tech mentioned that the headlights would have to be moved in slightly, but other than that he didn't know if it could be done. If anyone has done this and could tell me what it entails I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

DDlesk06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've known many owners that have done this. It should be a direct replacement.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What he said. Plus the side pipes. :p

The GA club president has a Gen1 with a factory hood that had provisions for the gen2 scoop, etc... but it was filled in from the factory! a Gen2 hood will go nicely with your Flux Capacitor.

JD

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would NOT do it. I love the smooth custon look of the Gen 1. I own a Viper. A classic gen 2 GTS and would consider picking up a classic early no side windows gen 1 roadster. GTS Bruce

newelly

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I thought about this for a while when i first got my 95..but now i wouldnt do it even though i like the look of the later hoods theres just something about those gen1 smooth hoods that grow on you

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ah, to each their own! The smooth hood has grown on me, but when I look at my car, the only angle that doesn't make me go "DAAAAAAAAMN..." is the front. I think the smooth hood dates the car, and I personally just like the way the NACA duct and brake vents break up the hood visually. I think it makes a beast of a car look even more aggressive. I know I'm messing with a classic, but since I have it to drive and not to sell I'm not worried about keeping it original.

I appreciate all of the input, guys!

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another option would be to contact Roger from US Exotics for one of his custom hoods. He can put the NACA Duct in it with or without the seems. Also, he can do the vents or add extra vents.

I have seen a few of his hoods first hand and they are truely remarkable. !

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here is another question; what is a good Gen. I hood worth, and what is a good Gen. II hood worth? I'm trying to figure out what I could sell mine for and what to expect to pay for a decent Gen. II. All things equal (condition, paint, etc.) what is each worth?

I've seen a few sitting around on the classifieds of both sites for quite a while, and they're reasonably priced ($4-5k). There aren't enough available of each to really make a conclusion, but it looks like both are worth about the same. What do you guys think?

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been trying to sell my Gen I hood for while now. I have it at $2200 and no bites. Most seem to want the Gen II hood or the U.S. Exotics hood.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456