Gen ii spun bearing !!!

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have this strange lumpy noise coming from the engine bay. It seems to happen in 3 second intervals as per my Oyster Perpetual. I've been reading about these issues ad nauseum at other sites and it has me extremely paranoid. I turned off the car and haven't driven it in two weeks. Is it possible I too have a spun bearing? It would be absolutely devastating to me as I can barely afford gas much less an entire new engine. Can someone please lie to me and tell me everything is gonna be o.k.? I'm currently sifting through paper work to see if I'm still under warranty. Does a Roe Supercharger void my warranty? If Dodge doesn't make me whole I'm gonna start a social media $HIT STORM!

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You installed a Roe Supercharger and are going to blame Dodge if the engine is damaged? You have a 19 year old car and wonder if it's still under warranty?

Dirk Pitt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You installed a Roe Supercharger and are going to blame Dodge if the engine is damaged? You have a 19 year old car and wonder if it's still under warranty?

I believe the OP is trying to have a bit of fun here. This story has every appearance of being a parody of a thread on another site.

OP
OP
F

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a suspicion something like this would happen when I noticed it was using about a quart of oil every 200 miles. I wasn't sure if I was checking the oil correctly as I read on the other site that there is an 86 point process for checking the oil level in a Viper. I sent a sample of my oil to a company called Blackbone and I got a letter back saying I needed to see a doctor. I'm confused.

OP
OP
F

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, I just got a call from a Blackbone rep saying I could come in for an audition following a ten day cycle of antibiotics.

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
It's been determined that 0.0016 of the Vipers built have this issue. Looking at my notes, your pre approval for this build item was approved prior to sale. Congratulations

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Free....do you feel the need to actually brag about an Oyster Perpetual ? Why not brag about something else other than a watch.

OP
OP
F

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quick update. I spoke to my psychiatrist today and he diagnosed me with a vehicular related PTSD. Ever since my power steering mounting bracket snapped, which I later found to be made of clay pottery, I have exhibited extreme anxiety anytime I drive. Now this. Wether it's my Durango or any of the other six vehicles I own, I feel like calamity is only a hairs breadth away. After visiting with my attorney over a lunch of mixed spring vegetables, petite bone in filet mignot, and a bottle of Pinot from the Baldacci Family Reserve, he's convinced he has a tort claim.

OP
OP
F

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drained the oil, and removed the oil pan for inspection. I was absolutely shocked at the grit and sludge sitting caked at the bottom of the oil pan. I separated one of the particles and took a close up pic to share. Any ideas what it could be? There's thousands of them.

You must be registered for see images attach

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen 2 technical forum of the VCA forum was part of the reason that I joined the VCA 10 years ago, and is why I still visit the site, even though I am currently without a Viper. I still visit the forums because I like paying back to the Viper owner community, especially the new folks who are seeking out help with their Vipers. I am also looking for my next Viper.

However, I have never read a technical forum thread on the VCA forum before that makes fun of a fellow Viper owner who is experiencing a major issue with his car. Mocking him by using his own words as part of the "joke."

Perhaps I am getting too sensitive in my old age and am the only one here that thinks this thread is objectionable.

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
I think you're being to serious

Or, you are saying that we have to be serious 24/7

Tell me more

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you're being to serious

Or, you are saying that we have to be serious 24/7

Tell me more

I do come to the forums for the humor also. I guess that it is just my background that sees a line somewhere close to this situation. Making fun of a stranger, yet a fellow Viper enthusiast, who is facing a $10,000+ cost for repairing a Viper engine with a known manufacturing defect. Not laughing with him; but, laughing at him. I see where it would be funny if it were one of the established folks that everyone knows, such as yourself, that was fighting Dodge to fix a screw up of there's. However, it doesn't seem appropriate to me to do it to a stranger. But, maybe because it is someone we haven't met, that is what makes it humorous.

I do embrace the basic premise of humor. Somehow, making fun of a stranger fighting with Dodge over a warranty claim for a known failure mode, doesn't seem right to me. I am just saying it out loud, as I would if we were standing around at a club get together.

I am not suggesting that the thread or posts be removed. I understand that I could be the odd one out in this case.

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
I can't say I've read all the posts and all the threads associated with the issue. What is clear, is there is missing details. Using the line theory, there must have been some line that was crossed that was the primary reason for denial. As much as I understand the agony of the end user, it's really hard for me to condemn Dodge.

The general nature of people is to only supply information that supports their position.

I don't think we will ever know the whole truth, do you?

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The general nature of people is to only supply information that supports their position.

I don't think we will ever know the whole truth, do you?

I definitely agree.

I am looking for a used Gen V to buy; so, I am closely following the threads concerning failures. The photos posted yesterday seem to indicate that the cause of the failure has nothing to do with what Dodge contended was the cause, the Arrow PCM, and is consistent with the Gen V block defects that have been discussed repeatedly on a different web server. The denial of warranty coverage by Dodge is not surprising; but, their saying that the cause of the failure was the aftermarket performance part without doing any root cause analysis was anger provoking; not, laugh provoking, to me. Especially in light of numerous similar failures on unmodified Gen V engines.

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
But that's the rub.......

If the line is: engine modification(used as example not fact)

Why would Dodge do a root cause analysis on someone else's part?

I'm confident that Dodge does a postmortem on every engine returned. Im also confident that Dodge doesn't feel obligated in announcing every finding. That would just be stupid and unless the failure is causing death, I don't even see government agencies getting involved.

I don't deny that there were engines that failed due to manufacturing errors. Keyboard lawyers have never won a claim even with there extensive Google skills and training. If those that have valid claims, are wasting their time discussing it online. By discussing it online, opens them up to comments they may not like

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry if I got us off into a warranty discussion. (I do find that to be an interesting topic, though.)
I was mainly exposing my lack of a sense of humor about some other viper guy's unfortunate situation.

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
I understand.......

you should start a warranty thread. I'll add my two cents

Dirk Pitt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry if I got us off into a warranty discussion. (I do find that to be an interesting topic, though.)
I was mainly exposing my lack of a sense of humor about some other viper guy's unfortunate situation.

I think PatentLaw's comments were very appropriate in the other thread(s). IF a modification was made to the car that explicitly voids the warranty then Dodge is certainly within their right to deny the initial claim. To be clear, I am not passing judgement on the situation knowing that we are only getting one side of the story. However, I am not a fan a venting on social media (which a car club forum is certainly a form of social media) to gain a vendor's attention/favor. When you use social media under cover of an alias as a means of "extorting" action from another party you deservedly open yourself up to cynicism and even criticism.

With all that said, I hope the OP gets some reasonable resolution to the original problem - whatever that may be.