New Viper Dilemma - cam

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I need some help here. After years of lurking on this board and reading Viper Mag., I'm finally getting ready to buy a Viper. Probably this spring. Anyway, here's my dilemma. I want an RT/10 and have narrowed it down to a black 99 with Connolly leather or a yellow 01/02. I'm slightly partial to the yellow cars but absolutely must have a lumpy cam. Obviously, the 01/02 doesn't have the cam I'm after. So, do I buy a 99 and enjoy it or consider buying the later model and have a "bigger" cam installed? Doing any internal engine work makes me a little nervous. Would it void the manufacturers warranty? Any rough ideas on cost for this? Other issues?

The only mods I really want to do to either car are: complete exhaust, tubes, filters, 3:55 gears and wheels. If I went with the later car, I know I'd pick up ABS but would also have the expense of the cam upgrade. When I'm done, it's got to rumble.

Thanks for any input/advice/opinions. I'm really wrestling with this.

Bob

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go for the yellow one - you get the later improvements, the color you want and a cam upgrade is easy for any of the reputable tuners.

It's just a routine job. The only key is to make sure a new cam gets degreed in, not just fitted on the standard keyways. You'll need new lifters to go with a cam change - and I'd be checking valve springs too.

OP
OP
R

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any idea on the warranty issue? Would a cam swap void the DC warranty?

Also, just how "lumpy" are the 99 and earlier cams? I've driven an 01, but not 99 or previous.

Thanks again,

Bob

dwhitt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
An '01/02 also means no nasty frame recall issues to sweat like the '99. That's one reason I sold my '99. Many frame recalls have been done poorly.

dwhitt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I also forgot - I did love that "lumpy" cam on the '99 I owned - much better than my '02 in that regard. '99 also gives you forged pistons just in case you decide to add a blower. You just never know.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Others may have more valid observations, but I would say that our 01 sounds fine with a Borla catback...has MORE exhaust note/burble than our 99 ACR that has a Borla and the 01 is certainly louder and more aggressive sounding than our 97 that has a Corsa catback (01 more drone with windows up as well). My point is that you may be happy with the sound with one of the MANY exhaust mods available, allowing the you to decide on the cam issue later...and I personally would NOT count on retaining the warranty if D-C found an after market cam and there was a substantial engine issu...especially with the current financial state of affairs.

OP
OP
R

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve,

Good to hear about your comparisons, it helps. I like both cars. I really want to make this purchase and keep the car for a very long time. I just really want the car to have much more of a "note" and rumble at idle than the 01 I drove. It wasn't bad, just not quite the muscle car sound I'm after. BTW, the 01 was bone stock and had very low miles. Since you've experienced Gen II cars of a few, shall we say, eras, would you say that the 00 and beyond cars respond less to minor mods? Minor being exhaust, a gear, and air intake only?

Bob

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember the lumpy cam cars also come with Forged internals , and the recall done correctly actually makes the chassis stronger!!!!!!!!!!

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely no difference with the minor mods you have mentioned.And all Gen 2's will sound absolutely the same with exhaust mods. Having said that the pre 00 may be just a little more lumpy with the cam but exhaust noise will be the same. If you are going to Turbo or supercharge the forged pistons are said to tolerate that better, but there are many who have had no trouble with the cast as long as the boost is not turned up too high. Color always seems important to us Viper guys, ya want black or ya want yellow. I wanted black, at the time I bought I knew about the piston differnce and the ABS issue, I would buy the same car again. If I want to mod it to that degree I'll deal with it.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Bob, I tend to agree with Lee... on the "response" to minor mods...but, would note a wide range of sounds from same build date Viper with different exhaust systems...noting that some systems SOUND better, but have been observed as having less HP in some cases and less torque in some cases, admitting that in MY opinion, it's hard to be SURE exactly how accurate the dynos are when noting only a few HP or lb-ft of difference..i.e., 8 HP difference out of possible 450HP MAY be hard to PROVE in large series of controlled tests...especially, if "blind" testing were EVER done. By the way, I like ALL models !!!!

OP
OP
R

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visited a neighbor of mine yesterday who has a 01 Sap. Blue GTS ACR and a heavily modified (Archer) 01 yellow GTS. For me, on this car, I think yellow may be the way to go. Gave me a chance to look at the lines of a dark car and the yellow next to each other. Something about the yellow really shows off the curves. I think it's the shadowing and darkness into the vents and ducts and such. Some of that depth is lost on the darker car. BELIEVE ME, I would be/will be thrilled with either, but I'm leaning towards yellow. I've had several black cars, my wife has had four that I can think of and is driving a black Lexus right now. Something about that yellow though, really grabs me.

He has the Archer car set up with a side exit exhaust just in front of the rear wheels. A small stainless plate with the pipe coming out in the center. Very cool look and loud. Of course, this engine is built out quite a bit.

Today, this minute, of this hour, I'm thinking 01/02 yellow. I'll do as much research on exhaust systems as I can and perhaps lean towards the side exit. If that gives the sound I'm after, great. If not, I'll look into swapping out the cam. Anybody care to give me a rough estimate on the cost of a cam upgrade? Cam, lifters and whatever would make sense to do it right. Any idea?

Thanks for any insight.

Bob