Gen II Transmission Fluid Change Question

SA HEAT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got through changing the transmission fluid on my '97 GTS and when I went to torque the drain plug at the recommended 28 ft/lbs, the plug seems like it's not getting any tighter....like it's just spinning into the hole. I chickened out going any tighter when the outside edge of the plug got about even with the outside edge of the hole on the transmission. The plug seems tight when checking it with regular 3/8" drive, just not with the torque wrench (it's probably at about 20 ft/lbs right now if I had to guess).

Any guidance from someone who has gone though this would be appreciated...I'm okay with how tight it feels as long as it doesn't leak...I just dont want to overtighten the plug.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't go crazy! Just hand tighten it with a 3/8" wrench. Did you use sealer (teflon tape or some sort of liquid/paste sealer)? The factory torque setting is most likely based on a dry plug to a clean threaded hole in the tranny. Any sort of lubrication will result in much lower torque values. This is certainly one of those scenarios where gut instinct should take over.

OP
OP
SA HEAT

SA HEAT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It had a little red residue from some old thread sealer, but not enough to keep me from getting several turns finger tight....I'm usually a fanatic about torquing everything to spec, but it just didn't feel right on this....I think it's the design of the plug that's throwing me off, and you're probably right about the residue on the threads. I'm not messing with it any more and will watch for leaks.....thanks!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Agree with going with your feel for now.

As I'm sure you know, it may be to your advantage to have your t-wrench checked and recalibrated by the manufacturer. Hopefully, your wrench is scaled for this low end...remembering that the lower 20% of the stamped-on scale is generally not usable on a "clicker-type" torque wrench due to a very high error rate.

OP
OP
SA HEAT

SA HEAT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree with going with your feel for now.

As I'm sure you know, it may be to your advantage to have your t-wrench checked and recalibrated by the manufacturer. Hopefully, your wrench is scaled for this low end...remembering that the lower 20% of the stamped-on scale is generally not usable on a "clicker-type" torque wrench due to a very high error rate.

It's a Craftsman Digitork rated between 5-80 ft/lbs. I've had good luck with it so far and it's always stopped about where I expected it was going to until now...I'm sticking with feel this time and don't think I overtightened it. I'm more worried that I didn't tighten it enough and I'm going to get a leak.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It had a little red residue from some old thread sealer, but not enough to keep me from getting several turns finger tight....I'm usually a fanatic about torquing everything to spec, but it just didn't feel right on this....I think it's the design of the plug that's throwing me off, and you're probably right about the residue on the threads. I'm not messing with it any more and will watch for leaks.....thanks!

I think it could be that the drain plug doesn't necessarily sit flush once torqued down. I think there's a thread sticking out on mine and while it may look like it's not fully seated...it is and then some. Error on the side of caution...if after driving it for a while it leaks...tighten it some more. Better than have a stripped thread.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Having had the same worries on these low torque fluid plugs on our Vipers, I broke down and ordered an aircraft quality (+or-1%)dial-indicator type wrench (with light that illuminates when torque setting reached) from Snap-On...has inch-lbs and N-m readings. This has made life much better, as I had noticed that the drain plugs were screwing in more and more with each fluid change.

OP
OP
SA HEAT

SA HEAT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it could be that the drain plug doesn't necessarily sit flush once torqued down. I think there's a thread sticking out on mine and while it may look like it's not fully seated...it is and then some. Error on the side of caution...if after driving it for a while it leaks...tighten it some more. Better than have a stripped thread.

I will, thanks....just checked and it's showing most of the last thread...I think I'm okay.

OP
OP
SA HEAT

SA HEAT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having had the same worries on these low torque fluid plugs on our Vipers, I broke down and ordered an aircraft quality (+or-1%)dial-indicator type wrench (with light that illuminates when torque setting reached) from Snap-On...has inch-lbs and N-m readings. This has made life much better, as I had noticed that the drain plugs were screwing in more and more with each fluid change.

I need to get one of those....next time I see a Snap On truck I'm pulling over.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it don't drip, it's probably tight enough and not cracked. And like was said above, I never torque a drain plug. The big piece you're screwing into costs too much to replace!