Gen III 10 or 11 quarts

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive read many people post how Gen III's take 11 quarts.. However, on my 2006. The manual says 10 quarts.. AND, after just doing an oil change myself.. The dipstick shows full at 10 quarts..

Just wanted to see if Im missing anything??

I used 0w40 mobil 1, and the new comp. coupe filter. Per Tator..

OP
OP
T

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run an extra quart for added protection against oil starvation

Ive always heard running too much, is as bad as running too little. Although Im sure 1 quart either way. Isn't going to make or break anything.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My manual says 10.5 for oil change with filter on a 05, Id assume 06 is the same. I always added 11 quarts. Now with the paxton, I add 12.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
with an oil pan as big as these...an extra quart doesn't move the oil level up that much on the dip stick.

OP
OP
T

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok, thanks.. I'll pick up another quart.. And keep an eye on it.. Just weird that the manuals differ on GenIII's..

Dawg2Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just changed mine and it took exactly 10.5 quarts to read at the full line when warm.

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did mine two weeks ago with filter change of course..an '05..took 10.5 quarts to read full.

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MikeR: you may be overfilling the pan even though you are Paxton equiped with 12 Quarters: I was advised that some oil remains in the unit (blower) and to use 11Qs on oil changes. This comes from DL when I asked him about future oil changes. 12 Qs might be what is initally used on a new system.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
MikeR: you may be overfilling the pan even though you are Paxton equiped with 12 Quarters: I was advised that some oil remains in the unit (blower) and to use 11Qs on oil changes. This comes from DL when I asked him about future oil changes. 12 Qs might be what is initally used on a new system.

I had not heard that. I heard it all drains back into pan after it sits for s few. And Woodhouse was adding 12, so I figured thats best.
Valid point though. But I still like having a little extra. I drive the hills alot and there are sweeping turns and my car lives near redline most of the time.lol So I add extra and check the oil ,before every drive. I guess there isnt really a hard set answer,but alot of good opinions.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who here has seen the oil pressure gauge reading drop during a high G turn? I have in my car....not since I started running a bit more oil.

Badazzv8

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mine isn't a new system. I got there, they drained the oil, and put back in 12 quarts, and I was on my way within 45 min. So it wasn't on a new system, as the Paxton has been on since the car was taken for delivery.

OP
OP
T

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI, and to document this thread... After a few start/stop cylces... I did indeed need 11.5 quarts to bring to "exact" full.

Why the manual states 10, is beyond me..

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just did an oil change and put 11 quarts with new Viper filter. Just got done changing the plugs also. I'll check it tomorrow after some spirited driving. :drive:
This time I'll make sure not to hit the rev limit. Inside joke Chuck. :rolaugh:

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
True and the extra insurance at the track helps. I put an extra quart in at the track as recommended by Chuck Tator. I dont notice any loss in pressure at Pocono.

with an oil pan as big as these...an extra quart doesn't move the oil level up that much on the dip stick.