Gen IV vs. Gen III: leg and headroom?

OP
OP
R

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am 6.6 and I have 2009 and thinking to lower 1 " kit . My wife whant to drive it to ! :)

There is electronic under driver seat and do I have to relocate it ?

Thanks

I have no idea how you're driving that car with a stock seat setup. Knees and headroom were both a problem for me and I'm only 6'4"!

If I recall correctly, the 1" drop kit will allow you to keep the under-seat electronics module mounted and permit seat adjustment. Once you get the 2" kit (like I did), the module has to be relocated and the seat is fixed in position.

dantelisky

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have owned a 2004 and a 2009. One difference is the bolster width of the seat in the upper back. The gen3 has a narrower seat. It bothered me on long drives. The gen4 has a little wider seat which to me was a little more comfortable for someone with a little wider upper back.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd just settle for a way to lower only the rear of the seat...I saw the thread in the illustrated upgrades section, but I'm not a huge fan of cutting/welding. Oh well...maybe I'll spring for a 1" lowering kit, and deal with the possibility that it won't slide back and forth as smoothly as the stock track.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
On the Gen 3/4 the process is a lot easier than what was shown in the pictures to modify the existing seat track to lower just the rear of the seat. It still requires you to grind away some welds, and one seat can be done in about 20 minutes. Best of all - total cost is $0.00. If you look at the rear mount on a Gen 3/4, there is a 1/4" spacer welded between the seat track and the mounting bracket - that also has 2 bolts holding it together. Using a cutting blade on a 4" grinder, I cut the welds, removed the spacer, and then turned the mounting bracket upside down. Put the bolts back in place - and voila - just the rear of the seat lowered.

Also, on my Gen 4 that has the airbag module located below the drivers, for lack of a better description, I "sandwiched down" the original airbag module bracket to solve the clearance issue. I think I have some pics around somewhere that I'll try to find.

I'm 6'2" and without lowering the seat, my sight line is right at the windshield frame. After my lowering - it is perfect and the seat can still be moved forward when I let my son drive the Vipe.

I'd just settle for a way to lower only the rear of the seat...I saw the thread in the illustrated upgrades section, but I'm not a huge fan of cutting/welding. Oh well...maybe I'll spring for a 1" lowering kit, and deal with the possibility that it won't slide back and forth as smoothly as the stock track.

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have owned a 2004 and a 2009. One difference is the bolster width of the seat in the upper back. The gen3 has a narrower seat. It bothered me on long drives. The gen4 has a little wider seat which to me was a little more comfortable for someone with a little wider upper back.

For me, this was reversed. My 06 seat was wider than my 08. Oh well, hand built cars are each going to be different.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang