Gen V Convertible!

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. The total price is not known. (I do not think we know what Prefix paid for the ten cars it has and what price is being charged for the cars before the 35K. Please correct this if I am wrong.) Also, I would guess that since Prefix said they can customize the paint scheme any way you want it and they can put rollover protection on it, each car is going to end up being a one of one car.

2. But, assuming it is 170 K, to some who post here that amount of money is not that significant to their wallet and having one of ten or better as mentioned above of a Gen V convertible is worth it to them. I think you will disagree, but I believe because Prefix has been used for all of the Gen Vs that it is more probable than not that the Medusa convertibles will be bought up pretty quickly and, at least in some cases, immediately put in a protected collection environment. I base this on the fact that I think the liklihood of an OEM convertible being offered is very low and I doubt that Prefix produced the Medusa without a little data help from Dodge/SRT even if they deny it.

looks like **** anyone who pumps out 170k for this car is out of there mind.

Last edited:

Brass Monkey ACR E

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No matter which way you look at it the title will always say COUPE.
Been to PREFIX several times already so I know what they are about.
How many '13 &'14 VIPERS are still sitting new/untitled yet?? ALOT

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Jon B is correct, those aluminum sport hoops on the Gen 3 do not offer good rollover protection. If you want to have protection for a rollover at speed you need to install a well engineered bar or cage that meets Motorsports requirements. SPT or many vendors here can offer that. For those wanting a street-track setup, a rollbar that looks good, appears OE and does not impede the back and forth movement of the seats is possible.

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
in some cases, immediately put in a protected collection environment.
FWIW, I can't really see how this would add to collectability...in fact, it may hurt.
It's a hardtop that was cut-off by a non-Dodge entity, not the manufacturer.
IOW, the car was modified from its original condition.

I base this on the fact that I think the liklihood of an OEM convertible being offered is very low and I doubt that Prefix produced the Medusa without a little data help from Dodge/SRT even if they deny it.
Agreed.
However, if Dodge actually ever DID produce a G5 Roadster....;)

No matter which way you look at it the title will always say COUPE.
True...and that isn't good for resale valuations.

Last edited:

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FWIW, I can't really see how this would add to collectability...in fact, it may hurt.
It's a hardtop that was cut-off by a non-Dodge entity, not the manufacturer.

Yenko Camaros aren't worth much nowadays, are they? Those were dealership modified. Prefix is a major supplier for Dodge, they do ALL of the paint and body on every Viper built. Not just some body shop. They know what they are doing.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
It's not a lot different than a Street Serpent setup. Well known shop doing a fairly hefty body mod. Don't know what street value is on a Street Serpent, but no matter how you look at it there's bound to be some amount of collectibility to someone. Lots of people wanted a convertible option, but now that one is on the table everyone wants to complain. Not matter how you look at it, it's still a cool car and another in the Viper family, so it should be celebrated.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think It's hard to argue that - If Dodge does a roadster, in the next 1-3 yrs, these prefix verts aren't going to hold their value, and likewise, if Dodge never builds a vert/roadster, then these stand a decent chance at holding solid value, but not remarkably so. I look at the ACR verts that were made, hard to argue they weren't uber cool, they demand a bit of a premium and the are as rare as unicorns, but they're not going for more than was paid or even close, so solid retaining of value, but not 'investment' worthy. The bet on these $ wise, is Dodge not making a roadster. $ no option than it's just a person who wants a vert and thinks a viper is indeed worthy of a $170k price.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you really think that Prefix does not know now whether a convertible Gen V is going to be built? They are the vendor for painting all the Gen V body panels and puting on the stripes. Dodge has to give them alot of data on a future project - colors, prioduct variants, projected number of variants, etc. and the lead time to get ready for the work. Dodge does not just call up and say "get ready".

I would guess that at one time there were active discussions between the manufacturer and Prefix regarding a possible future convertible and some of the data disclosed in those discussions was used to create the Medusa. Just a guess.

I also second Nine Ball's comment in post 36 above.

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yenko Camaros aren't worth much nowadays, are they?
The Yenkos were made in the 60s and are desired by old farts with cash like me.

I think the question is in 45 years will today's kids be collecting Vipers or the Rice Rockets they dreamed of as teenagers?

Brass Monkey ACR E

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are PIMPING GM again which makes VETTES.
How funny is that. I guess it depends which way the wind is blowing
Never said PREFIX didn't know what they are doing did I.
I would like to see "IF" VIPER will survive 60 years with such LOW numbers PRODUCED every year
SUNSALEM, watch it they will attack you for bringing up RICE ROCKETS and its Foreign made on top of it.
I am not attacking you for your view

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SUNSALEM, watch it they will attack you for bringing up RICE ROCKETS and its Foreign made on top of it.
I brought that up because it's obvious after watching car auctions on The Tube exactly WHO is bidding up the prices of the old Muscle Cars....and it ain't young 'uns.
When I was a youngster in the 60s, I dreamed of having a Boss 302, Z28, Roadrunner, etc.:drive:
Unfortunately, I never had the kind of dough necessary.
And I wasn't the only one....

Today's young generation dreams of those little "rice rockets."
Just sayin....

I am not attacking you for your view
I get it.;)

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
A few of us young'uns still appreciate the classic metal though =P. I just had to build my own instead of buying one done. Granted it's not completely classic with the 5.7 Hemi and T56 in it, but all the same, love the old style.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In 45 years, unless government policies change, today's kids will likely not have the coin to collect much of anything.

The Yenkos were made in the 60s and are desired by old farts with cash like me.

I think the question is in 45 years will today's kids be collecting Vipers or the Rice Rockets they dreamed of as teenagers?