Gen V Debut Compared to the Gen III Debut ?

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wasn't around back then so I'm wondering how the Gen V debut compares to the Gen III debut ?

mit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I am a GTS or Gen II owner and I was definitely classified as a hater on the Gen III when it was revealed. I'm going to buy a Gen V. In a lot of ways the return to the GTS styling at least in my opinion validates what I was saying in January of 2001 when they debuted the Gen III.

But to answer your question, there were people with vitriolic hatred of the new design back in Gen III days. A lot of people back then were saying, don't call it a Viper because that car is something completely different.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They showed us a Competion Coupe styled car in Las Vegas. It was an instant hit with most everyone there. Then for some reason they made the Gen III as we know it. It turned out to be a big disappointment and Dodge didn't do as well with it as they should have. Looks like they are going to miss the mark again by not offering 700hp on probably the best Viper built to date.

BCBowers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They showed us a Competion Coupe styled car in Las Vegas. It was an instant hit with most everyone there. Then for some reason they made the Gen III as we know it. It turned out to be a big disappointment and Dodge didn't do as well with it as they should have. Looks like they are going to miss the mark again by not offering 700hp on probably the best Viper built to date.
I remember this... the GTS-R concept was truly stunning. Then the actual GEN-III car came out and it was like huh?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Race cars can be much wider and lower than street cars. They will most always look more butch than the civilian model. Same with porsche, aston, vette, ferrari, and all the others that make street and race versions.

Hirohawa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree with others about the concept being awesome and then not loving the actual car. The first time I saw Gen 3 at a car show I was shocked at how much I disliked it. The coupe was definitely much better but I feel that they righted a wrong and have come up with a much better design this time.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting discussion. Makes me wonder. Should SRT then continue making all future models of the Viper simply evolutions of the iconic 96 GTS? It does work for Porsche and Corvette. I still love seeing Porsche 911 TT's going down the street with that wide low stance. Yes they are everywhere but they still are special compared to most other cars.

That being said I think the Viper could pull off not deviating from the GTS formula especially since they are so rare so you wont see it every day, month, year etc so technically it would never be overexposed a la Porsche and Corvette. I love the GTS design of the new car but I feel they fell off the wagon on the front end styling. Lost a bit of Viperness there. But the iconic shape lives on thank goodness.

As to the discussion I too was underwhelmed by the Gen III initially. The CC was stunning and still is. But the Gen III's grew on me. I do love how they look lowered with appropriate rims. Both the coupe and convertables looks stunning with that treatment. But then so do most supercars. The GTS didnt need those acoutrements to leave you stunned.

When I first saw the GTS in person the crowd around it was hushed. Everyone was just taking pictures or just so caught up with it that there just was no reason to speak because that would distract you from looking at the car lol. I dont think Ive ever had that experience with any other car Ive seen. It truly was like a beautiful girl that just leaves you slack jawed and speechless.

Last edited:

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Race cars can be much wider and lower than street cars. They will most always look more butch than the civilian model. Same with porsche, aston, vette, ferrari, and all the others that make street and race versions.

Paul, the Car they showed ended up being the Comp Coupe. It was presented as a production car with full interior in Las Vegas. If it wasn't going to be the production model Dodge certainly didn't try to tell anyone otherwise at the time. The Gen III was certainly a very watered down version of that car.

BCBowers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul, the Car they showed ended up being the Comp Coupe. It was presented as a production car with full interior in Las Vegas. If it wasn't going to be the production model Dodge certainly didn't try to tell anyone otherwise at the time. The Gen III was certainly a very watered down version of that car.
Exactly... the SRT-10 is a very different car and was a letdown after seeing the GTS-R concept. I know more than one person has daydreamed about finding a way to make a comp coupe a street legal car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456