Gen1 Maintance (yearly)

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure up a general maintanence cost of a Gen1 car.
Could anyone shed some light on their yearly expenses, tuneups, oil changes, tires, etc. etc.

TIA
James

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are some general guidelines - realize these may be affected by driving habits.

1. Tires - if you drive the car hard like most do, you can expect 10-15k miles on the tires before replacement. Tire cost is $250-300 each.

2. Oil Changes - dealer changes are in the $100-150 range. Do it yourself, 10 quarts of synthetic and filter, about $50. There is less chance of the car being scratched or damaged. Change after 3000 miles, or any extended track event.

3. Tune-up - About the only item that must be periodically changed are the spark plugs and/or plug wires. The engine is low compression, therefore, plug life should not be a problem. When you get the car change the factory filter and the air-intake tubes. For about $150, you will get 10 Hp.

4. Alignment/wheels - find a shop that specializes in high performance cars and has a lift that can get under a car with 4.5-5.0 inches of clearance. A thorough alignment will cost $100-$200. The gen 1 wheels are notorious for having runout, especially the rears. Gen 1 oem rears can be found for a about $300 each.

5. Because of the aluminum block and areation within the cooling system care must be taken to change the antifreeze and remove any trapped air. Time consuming - not expensive.

I'm sure many owners have paid more than the above stated prices, that will always happen. Expensive does not mean correct.

OP
OP
M

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very close to my rough estimates.
I figured 200$ for the oil changes and I though the tires were a bit more, but I was close.

Good, then i'm well into the comfort zone on mainanence costs per year.... more $$ for mods ;)

Thanks
James