Gen2 Gas Cap Area "weep hole" ?

Viblur

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen2 Gas Cap Area \"weep hole\" ?

Did a search for this and found zero - please don't tell me I'm the first.. my 98 has a small set of corrosion bubbles around the base of the gas cap gasket space....been raining alot here in CA, had a small garage leak that slowly dripped into this area..any advise would be appreciated..

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Gen2 Gas Cap Area \"weep hole\" ?

corroding gas caps is normal its just a matter of time, warranty job if your covered, my GTS is on its second, and thats starting to go....

Eric H

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Gen2 Gas Cap Area

what was the question? Mine had the same thing so i took it off, mirror polished it and clear powdercoated it. turned out great!

4207henri

Enthusiast
Reaction score

how much did that cost to powdercoat it? And another thing, warranty will actually cover that? Really??

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

And another thing, warranty will actually cover that? Really??

3 year factory warranty on the gas cap, longer if you take extra cover

OP
OP
V

Viblur

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sorry, I re-read the post and my question is really unclear (been a long week)...there is a drain or weep hole in the gas cap assembly to drain any water that has accumulated within the assembly well area.. appears mine got plugged up, seeped and now it looks like I have rust bubbles coming out around the area .. wondered if any one had the same problem, will post pictures tomorrow if I get home...

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mine too clogs with regularity. No idea why. No rust though. Doubt that there is any OE metal in there.... Perhaps there is something stuck inside?

OP
OP
V

Viblur

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ron.. did clean the drain hole out (as much as possible) and did not get any rust back from the long pipe cleaners I used, but I can't think of any other reason for moisture to be working from the "inside out" within that area (paint is bubbling out in a semi circle underneath the gas cap assembly).. any idea where the drain ends up spilling? Plan to take off the RR wheel / etc tomorrow to find out.. looked for moisture within the cab area behind the gas cap assembly and was dry..

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Unfortunately, never dug into the issue. Since I don't have any rust but just a clogged drain, I've never prioritized.

Let me know what you find....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96