Getting car ready for VOI and.......

VIPER PIT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So I go out to the garage today to drive the car after it has been sitting for about 4 weeks.

1. Back up 4 weeks ago. Neighborhood gawker came by to look at the car and accidentally unplugged the battery tender. Car was totally dead so I plugged it back in and got battery recharged. But over that first week I had a hard time getting the window to raise and lower when opening the door. Started the car and got the windows to relearn???? They are o.k. So car sits 3 weeks more.
2. Drive the car to the deler to get inspection this morning and did not notice anything. But sometime on the way homeafter that I noticed a growl from the passenger side rear trunk area. Sounded line a bad tire with a rhythmic sound over 30 mph. Really noticeable when you push in the clutch and let engine idle when coasting at 30 plus miles per hour with no radio on. There is also a hissing noise that sounds like refrigerant going through an evaporator core but in the trunk!!
Really sounds sort of like a faucet running on the outside of your house. Hard to explain. Sound level and rythem of sound is affected by speed with clutch in or out. Thought tires might have flat spots so I drove it all day and no change. Hissing sound is pretty constant above 30mph

Specifics
Car sat with a little under 1/4 tank of gas. Filled it up today with premium this morning on the way to the dealer.
Car is 2009 coupe
7300 miles no track time at all. No heavy driving. 3500 of the miles are from the trip to salt lake city from San Antonio.
The rest of the miles are from club cruises.
Never had any issues before.
No signs of any leaks under the car.
Possibly the battery could be weakened from the total drain down. Battery is original.
Mopar controller.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Since this followed an "inspection", I would start by looking for something "foreign" that could have become wedged in wheel/rotor/brakes...or ever parking brake cable dragging on inside of wheel. Have seen such things as tools, candy, paper work, flashlight left in odd locations following trips to "dealer".

By the way, I personally would toss the original battery at this point since you are planning a trip. It is likely nearly 4 years old and this summer's heat is taking its toll on all batteries. Good luck.

OP
OP
V

VIPER PIT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah I think it's time for battery replacement as well. The inspection was only a state vehicle inspection, the tech only peeled off the old sticker and put on a new one. He didn't do anything else, I was actually in the service area talking with him when he did it. I probably did not hear the noise going to the dealer because I had the radio blasting since I was so happy to be driving the car after such a long time!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Why guess? Jack up rear wheels and look for foreign objects as suggested...including paper, sticks, etc. Pull tire/wheels off to see brakes, inspect rest of driveline. If you do not spot something simple, see Viper Tech.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check inside pad on both eBrake calipers. Common problem, they wear out. You could be trashing the rotors with continued driving if the pad is shot. You need to remove wheel and examine with flashlight.

OP
OP
V

VIPER PIT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Update:
After pulling the passenger rear wheel I peered into to area where the driveshaft inters the diff and found a large area where fluid is leaking.
It is not a lot but it took 8 ounces to fill up the diff. The upper part of the transmission tunnel has some fluid up there as well. This must of been a slow leak. Now I have a bad pinion seal and pinion bearing. Even after I topped off the fluid the sound is getting worse. I am going to the dealer tomorrow. What really ***** is my warranty was up 7 months ago. I don't know if they can have if fixed before VOI!!
This car only has 7000 miles, most of which was meeting up with the Denver caravan and heading out to Utah for the last VOI.
Makes me really look forward to more window regulators, they don't seem half bad after this. Gen V !!!! I wonder?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about differential. I would hope that your powertrain warranty will cover the repair/replacement. Major worry is finding someone to do the job correctly as these diffs are not easy to handle...many threads on same !!
Thanks for posting the followup,,,best of luck.

Reaction score
If you found this problem AFTER the inspection I would definitely not have that dealer doing the work on the seal and bearing since they could not even see and report that there was a leak under the car...

Update:
After pulling the passenger rear wheel I peered into to area where the driveshaft inters the diff and found a large area where fluid is leaking.
It is not a lot but it took 8 ounces to fill up the diff. The upper part of the transmission tunnel has some fluid up there as well. This must of been a slow leak. Now I have a bad pinion seal and pinion bearing. Even after I topped off the fluid the sound is getting worse. I am going to the dealer tomorrow. What really ***** is my warranty was up 7 months ago. I don't know if they can have if fixed before VOI!!
This car only has 7000 miles, most of which was meeting up with the Denver caravan and heading out to Utah for the last VOI.
Makes me really look forward to more window regulators, they don't seem half bad after this. Gen V !!!! I wonder?

Iceman1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
is there anything on a Gen 2 GTS that has been a common problem that could be changed or fixed before the VOI trip . Im always going over the car and keep a eye on things very well but is there a common gremlin to cure before it happens
Im told Rockers are a good internal replacement but are there any hoses, clamps , gaskeets you name it that were a factory problem or that can cause me any roadside pain ?
13000 miles on the car lower diff gears have been installed awhile back . I will drop the oil and check diffs and tranny and do a pre trip but im looking for help on something i cant see .

Iceman1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Whats the thing to look for ? Cracks or a bad design ?

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plenty of threads on the p/s pulley and bracket. IPSCO, Roe, etc provide quality replacement parts.