ACR Larry

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on this article?

Auto News Article

GM ponders Corvette supercar

RICK KRANZ
Automotive News

MONTEREY, Calif. -- General Motors is considering a second nameplate for the Corvette -- a high-horsepower model with a $100,000 sticker.

The new car, distinctly different from today's Corvette, would put Chevrolet head to head with such sports car heavyweights as Aston Martin, Ferrari and Porsche. But some strategists at GM fear that a second car under the Corvette banner could hurt the brand.

"We are considering a Corvette supercar with a big ramp-up in horsepower, (and a) big ramp-up in using unique materials," said Ron Zarrella, president of GM North America. He gave no timetable for when a decision would be made.

Zarrella was interviewed at a press preview for three concepts that GM will unveil next year. One of the concepts, the Cadillac Cien, is a mid-engined, two-passenger sports car with an experimental V-12 engine producing 750 hp and 450 pounds-feet of torque. GM executives at the event said there are no plans to produce the Cien or the V-12 engine.

But asked whether materials, components, an engine or platform could be shared by a Cadillac and Corvette supercar, Zarrella said, "It's a possibility, but we haven't gotten that far yet. We've got folks looking at, if we wanted to do a $100,000 supercar for Corvette, what would that look like?"

The Lutz factor

A new factor in the discussion is Robert Lutz, GM's recently hired vice chairman and product czar. He will have a big voice in any discussions about adding a second car to the Corvette brand.

Lutz was part of the team at Chrysler Corp. that created the Dodge Viper, a low-volume halo car priced at $70,000. But Lutz also prides himself in his cost discipline.

The $100,000-plus two-passenger car category is crowded with European brands. Some cars are geared to luxury and comfort, like those from Mercedes-Benz and BMW, while others, such as Porsche and Ferrari, are aimed at superior performance.

At the high end will be the Mercedes-Benz Vision SLR, which bows in late 2002 or early 2003. It will be priced in the $350,000 range. The car is being developed at McLaren, Mercedes' racing partner in Woking, England.

In addition, Porsche is eyeing a production version of the Carrera GT concept with an estimated price above $300,000.

Zarrella said various platforms and engine configurations are being considered for the Corvette supercar. One possibility is using the next-generation Corvette, which bows in 2004. The redesigned Corvette will share an architecture with the 2004 Cadillac XLR, a two-passenger roadster based off the Evoq concept.

Cause for concern

Zarrella said there are serious concerns about expanding the Corvette brand.

On one hand, there "is the strength of the Corvette brand and the strength of the Corvette product," he said. But GM has "limited resources, and there are sets of priorities for those resources. Do you really want to move that up to the top of the list?"

He also worries about harming the Corvette's image.

"The second part of that discussion is that you introduce an element of risk every time you do that with a brand. Corvette has had one very unique, very focused position for a long time," Zarrella said. "Do you risk watering down that position by expanding it, or do you keep it as an icon brand within General Motors focused on the kinds of vehicles that it is known for?"

More power

GM tinkered with the Corvette brand in recent years, which showed customers' thirst for more power and performance.

When the current generation Corvette bowed for the 1997 model year, GM intended later to add a lower-priced model with less equipment and possibly a less powerful V-8. But the 1997 Corvette and subsequent models exceeded sales expectations, and GM did not introduce the less expensive version.

In fact, GM discovered enthusiasts were willing to pay extra for more power and handling enhancements, and the automaker responded with the Corvette Z06. It debuted for the 2001 model year with a 385-hp engine, along with handling and stability enhancements. It carried a $47,500 sticker price including transportation.

By comparison, the base 2001 Corvette coupe has 350 hp and a $40,925 sticker price.

The automotive press and Corvette enthusiasts quickly endorsed the Z06, calling the car a bargain for that price.

rschiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think this is a good idea. In the past when GM has tried to do this it hasn't had much success. Look at the ZR-1. Now, I'm sure they would try to differentiate this new one quite a bit as far as body and engine goes but its still a Corvette and I'm not sure how many people would be willing to spend $100K on a Corvette.

Just my opinion.

NascarDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can put silk stocking on a rooster, but, you've still got chicken legs.

Kind of like paying $70K for a Saleen SR351, bottom line, it's still a mustang.

DN

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been told that GM has been working on a 10 or 12 cylinder
powerplant for the last couple years.

Steve

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GM has what DCX doesn't- Bob Lutz. I won't sell GM short- they could pull it off. Lots of creative bits of engineering in that company; if only the designs were better.

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The F-body (camaro/Firebird) line is being redesigned and hopefuly will make a return. The firebird, however, is dead. There was talk within GM of making the new firebird nameplate part of the corvette platform.. since the current TAs rank in at only a few thousand short of a C5, and are only .2 sec slower in the 60 mark. Could that rumor and this one have some corolation? Hmmmm..
I think GM could pull it off since they have lutz now, but i'd rather see a different nameplate than a corvette as their supercar. It can be based on the vette platform, but should not be called a vette. Pontiac is an easy target... since they are the luxury sport sector of GM. It would be something to see the banshee concept come back to life.. who knows.. maybe luts will bring the GTO platform back as well.

Wish he still worked for Ma Mopar.. plymouth wouldn't have been killed and the concept 'Cuda (360, IRS, viper suspension, 340hp muscle car slayer...) could have become a reality.

Only time will tell.. the markets are begining to recover a tad.

James

dmora

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rschiltz:
I don't think this is a good idea. In the past when GM has tried to do this it hasn't had much success. Look at the ZR-1. Now, I'm sure they would try to differentiate this new one quite a bit as far as body and engine goes but its still a Corvette and I'm not sure how many people would be willing to spend $100K on a Corvette.

Just my opinion.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Especially when Lingenfelter will sell you one with twinturbos for the same price.

Tony Cantafio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never underestimate the the influence of Bob Lutz on any new Corvette. He knows better than anybody that the benchmark is the Viper, and that anything less just won't hack it. Also, I think it's a safe bet that Lutz won't repeat the look-alike problem of the ZR-1 with any new, more powerful Vette.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since Ford is working on "operation Petunia" (the GT40), it would only make since for GM to make a modern Cheetah? Non of us have ever seen what Lutz could do with pockets as deep as GM's? Should be a fun couple of years.

Worst case scenario, they have to make a FASTER VIPER, O Darn!

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Indeed, you can put lipstick on a pig, but at the end of the day it's still a pig.

However, this may just be a marketing miss-step as few would have beleived before the viper was launched that the Dodge brand could jump into the world supercar market.

If they had simply announced plans to investigate the potential of a $100k supercar and left the Corvette brand name out of it I think they would have had a more positive response.

Jeff

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Ferguson:
Since Ford is working on "operation Petunia" (the GT40), it would only make since for GM to make a modern Cheetah? Non of us have ever seen what Lutz could do with pockets as deep as GM's? Should be a fun couple of years.

Worst case scenario, they have to make a FASTER VIPER, O Darn!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Got any more info on the Ford project?

Tony Cantafio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
quote:
Originally posted by JMcQuire:
Originally posted by Tony Cantafio:
"Yeah maybe it will look like the Aztec."
You, obviously, are not familiar with Bob Lutz.
"Touche"

-----------------------------

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
My guess is it's intentional bogus propaganda forcing DC to spend countless millions in additional R&D to make sure that we stay king of the hill! I suggest we all thank them for their intellectual expertise! LOL

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I welcome the competition, both Viper and Chevy "X" will benefit.

I might like to see Chevy take over the Mosler MT900 - much of the work is done, mid-engine, composites and already chevy-powered and designed by a Chevy ex-pat. Check out www.mosleraouto.com. I personally like it and it would clearly be distinct from the Corvette. With a 427 and 2500 lbs, it will run with the Viper.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
slaughterj: The only thing I know at this time is that Ford is going to unvail a 600 BHP mid-engine, modern day GT40 at the upcoming Detroit Autoshow. The rumor is that they will be testing V12 and V8 applications.

As a long time fan of the original GT40, I have to say that this news is exciting, but I DOUBT that Ford would actually build it. They seem to love to tease, but rarely please.

If you pick the latest Road and Track, they have a sketch on the proposed model. I think last month's Automobile also covered it?

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Ferguson:
slaughterj: The only thing I know at this time is that Ford is going to unvail a 600 BHP mid-engine, modern day GT40 at the upcoming Detroit Autoshow. The rumor is that they will be testing V12 and V8 applications.

As a long time fan of the original GT40, I have to say that this news is exciting, but I DOUBT that Ford would actually build it. They seem to love to tease, but rarely please.

If you pick the latest Road and Track, they have a sketch on the proposed model. I think last month's Automobile also covered it?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks for the info, that sounds like something I'd definitely be interested in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21