Going to ATCO Thursday - How to launch on stock tires?

YELL03

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am meeting alot of my Mustang buddies from www.svtsnake.com (I am a moderator) and bringing my NEW snake.

My 01 GTS is BONE STOCK yet feels at least as fast as my old modded 03 Cobra (12.2@116 - 1.9 60' - 445rwhp/452rwtq SAE).

My question is:

What is the best way to launch on the stock radials?

With my 03 Cobra modded, my best launch on stock radials was to launch off idle which resulted in a 1.96 60' and a 12.29.

When it was almost stock my best launch was to hold the rpms at 2500rpms and dump the clutch and go WOT when it grabbed, this resulted in a 1.96 60' and a [email protected] grannyshifting. My buddy powershifted it to a [email protected] with just a filter and catback.

I always grannyshift, my best run ever in the 03 was a [email protected] 1.93 60' on drag radials slipping the clutch at 3000rpms.

If I launch off idle with the Viper is it capable of a 1.9 60' and better than 12.2 and better than 116 trap?, I don't want to be embarrassed!!!

I also don't want to break any half-shafts, always my worry with the Cobra.

Thanks,

Howard

RT10Paul

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Howard,

I don't have a lot of seat time in the Viper but I ran a 12.16 in a 2001 RT on street tires with a 1.87 60'. Other guys have taken stock Vipers well into 11s. You won't have the air to do it but you'll have the advantage of racing at Atco which is arguably one of the best-prepped tracks on the East coast.

Here's what I did. Lowered the pressure in the rear to 25 lbs. I think you can go a few pounds lower. Left front pressure untouched although I probably should have increased it to 40 or 45 lbs. I went around the water (which you won't be able to do at Atco) and just spun my wheels hard to clean them off. I did not do a full burnout because I think full burnouts on street tires are a waste of rubber. I launched at around 2700 rpm and eased into the gas instead of stomping on it. DO NOT powershift into 2nd. You have to squeeze the accelerator on the 1st to 2nd shift too or you will wheel hop which will kill your e.t. I made my shifts around redline which may be a bit too high. You'll be reaching for 4th as you're going through the traps. Even though it may seem like it, you can't finish in 3rd, trust me :)

Hope this helps.

Paul

OP
OP
Y

YELL03

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Paul -

Thanks.

Exactly the info I wanted, tire pressures, etc....

I always run better at ATCO then E-town, but at E-town you can bypass the water.

This humid warm air killed my Cobra times unless I surely would have gone 11s.

Thanks again,

Howard

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone and every track is different. Try this one and see if it works for you. I found staging in the fresh VHT off to the side of worn in groove worked well on street tires.( assuming they have treated the track) Keep them at around 28psi. Leave at barely over an idle and let it bog a little then feed the gas in. My streets hooked better there than in the groove.