Going to drive the 2005 Vette

VIPER1996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run the sales department at a GM dealership. I signed up for a ride and drive on the new Vette. It's at Gateway International Raceway so we'll get to put it to the test. Should be interesting.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any truth to the rumor that there is no z06 anymore just the C6?

OP
OP
V

VIPER1996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't heard much on the Z06?? The brochure said we will compare it to the competition so I imagine there will be a Viper there. I go in August so I'll let you guy's know then what I find out.

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am a huge Corvette fan. When I was younger I ate slept and drank Corvette. I worked for a Corvette restoration company, restored a couple, owned 7 of all different types over the years. Then I saw the first Viper in 1989...Yada...yada yada...I still like them, but to me the Viper is like the best Vette ever (they are similiar in many ways).

Anyway, on to what I wanted to tell. I was out to dinner with the Viper this past Friday and parked 3 cars away from a 2005 Corvette convertable. I had to run over and check it out because, well, I like it. My wife showed very little interest and although I like it better than the c5, it really is not enough of a change to make me want to sell the Viper.

We came out of the resturant to find about a dozen people checking out the Viper (not uncommon). NOBODY was looking at the new Vette. That really surprised me. C'mon people, it is the NEW vette. Nobody? Anyone? Anyone?

The Viper will always be the real dream car.

Jeff

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First out the C6 Coupe

Then the C6 vert follows

Then the C6 Z-06 in 05 as an 06 I believe.
Lots of speculation in the 500 maybe + hp range. Talks of an SC or even some more cubes.

LIRacer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah...I have heard that the Z06 will push 500hp. The SRT-10 was their target. My wife likes the vert so I am buying one for her as a new baby present. I am running out of room in the garage.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They (GM) told me (directly) at the 2004 North American International Auto Show that the C6 (performance version - Z06 or whatever they will call it) is going to be unveiled at the 2005 North American Internation Auto Show in Detroit. It wasn't even a maybe... It was, we are - 100%.

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score
are they already delivering these cars to customers now?

Not sure but I did see one on the road here over the weekend. I had a C5 vert and wouldn't mind to have the convertible version when it comes out.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are several C6's running around the Detroit area. They look like SRT-10's when they are coming at you. From behind they don't look so cool with their stuck on third tail light from the Caddy XLR. I've had a couple of roll ups with them and they're going to need that new Z06 to be competitive with Vipers. They do have a lot of neat new electronics (built in nav system, etc.) you can get on them and their computerized systems are impressive if you just want to be spam riding in a computer. Overall my impression is that they have made a nice improvement on the C5's (except maybe appearance), but nothing radical. Hopefully when the new Viper Coupe also makes its appearance at the 2005 International Auto Show we will see something to get excited about!

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am a huge Corvette fan. When I was younger I ate slept and drank Corvette. ... Anyway, on to what I wanted to tell. I was out to dinner with the Viper this past Friday and parked 3 cars away from a 2005 Corvette convertable. I had to run over and check it out because, well, I like it. My wife showed very little interest and although I like it better than the c5, it really is not enough of a change to make me want to sell the Viper.

We came out of the resturant to find about a dozen people checking out the Viper (not uncommon). NOBODY was looking at the new Vette. That really surprised me. C'mon people, it is the NEW vette. Nobody? Anyone? Anyone?

The Viper will always be the real dream car.

Jeff

:headbang: What jeff said! :headbang:

Coming from the Corvette world, the real revelation for me has been the attitude of the former "Corvette Club compatriots" on hearing I'd "defected" to the ranks of Viper. Two will still talk to me at cruise-ins around town; most avoid me and many are practically hostile.

Must be something really threatening to the gold chain set about our cars. ;)

bloose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just purchased a great new home in Feb. from someone who had to get out of it real quick. Turns out the guy took a promotion to Engineering Launch Manager for the C6 back in December and had to leave the Detroit area to head down to Kentucky ASAP. His gain is my gain. I'm currently Viperless but nothing would please me more than to fill this formerly Corvette infested garage with a Viper soon.