Good deal on salvage car?

Martin_yif

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I´m thinking of buying this salvage car.It´s a 04 with 28k miles. It is located in sweden and the price is about 28000$. A car in good condition sells for about twice that price over here.

You must be registered for see images attach

Parts missing/broken (to my knowledge):
Front bumper
Hood
Seats both
Right headlight
Right fender front
Windscreen
Window right door
Radiator
Airbag driver and passenger
Dashboard
Radiator for the aircondition
and the broken parts behind the frontbumper as seen in the pictures.

Owner claims the frame is stright but I haven´t checked it out yet. Salvage tittle is no big issue since it will get a clear title once repaired.

Do you think it´s a good deal? What would it cost to repair it? I would do all the work, except from painting and framerepair (if needed) myself.

Last edited:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Frame inspection is a must.

There's a lot of stuff missing from the front like headlight assy, oil cooler, bumper supports, brackets, HID ballast(?), latch assy, etc etc. If it cost you $1500 x 2 headlight assy plus import taxes, shipping etc. how much would the rest cost? Probably an alum rad would be cheaper at $700 +++? What's the cost on bumper cover and driving lights? Gen 2 was about $5-6,000 ++ here.

Find out a complete parts list and cost of the parts. Best would be to buy a complete frontend without engine.

Maybe if you're buying the car for the price of what you could sell (the engine runs?) the engine and trans with wheels is the total value of that wrecked car? If the car was wrecked and the oil cooler was torn off, then it's a possibility that the engine drained the oil onto the ground? If the acessory drive belt is missing then I'd want to install one and rev the engine to make certain that the engine and acessories were OK.

Unless you're really good (a lot better than a Hobbyist) I wouldn't suggest it.

Ted

OP
OP
M

Martin_yif

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frame inspection is a must.

There's a lot of stuff missing from the front like headlight assy, oil cooler, bumper supports, brackets, HID ballast(?), latch assy, etc etc. If it cost you $1500 x 2 headlight assy plus import taxes, shipping etc. how much would the rest cost? Probably an alum rad would be cheaper at $700 +++? What's the cost on bumper cover and driving lights? Gen 2 was about $5-6,000 ++ here.

Find out a complete parts list and cost of the parts. Best would be to buy a complete frontend without engine.

Maybe if you're buying the car for the price of what you could sell (the engine runs?) the engine and trans with wheels is the total value of that wrecked car? If the car was wrecked and the oil cooler was torn off, then it's a possibility that the engine drained the oil onto the ground? If the acessory drive belt is missing then I'd want to install one and rev the engine to make certain that the engine and acessories were OK.

Unless you're really good (a lot better than a Hobbyist) I wouldn't suggest it.

Ted

Thanks for the advice Ted! The car is already in Sweden so the only cost except from the repairs is the registration at about 1000$

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You're welcome. It was the parts, taxes and shipping I was referring to, not the car's, lol. Repairs and inspections are getting pricey as well.

Ted

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like a big headache to me. I don't know what it costs to ship a car from the USA to Europe, but I have to think you would be better off with a car which has not been wrecked, or one which has already been repaired. Good luck!

Bill

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The frame is bent bad. It can be straigtend but it scares me that the seller said it was straight when it is not. Price out all the parts it needs including the inner fender supports that are broken. Then allow for all the parts you cant see and you can answer your own question. I would have about 20k into it here to repair so I would say the price is high.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a good deal on that car. You are going to put at least 10k into it and then you are in the ballpark of a clear title car. Yep, easily viewable fram problems even from those pix.

insurme

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dude, I bought a car very similar to the way that one is hit and I paid
$19K for it. I have substantial bodyshop experience and thought I could repair it myself, but the construction of this car is different from anything most shops have ever seen before. My total cost for my car repaired is almost $45K and I couldn't sell it for more than $35K because of the repair and my title was never salvaged. Stay away and keep looking for a good deal on one undamaged.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
high price IMO, lots of work to do, very expensive parts. no way.

take your time and find a clean car ready to drive. there are still alot of good deals out there, but this isnt one of them. spend the extra money for a clean car, and you will be much happier in the long run.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uhh... You're joking, right? From the looks of it, that car is barely worth $28k as a parts car - and that assumes you'll be the one disassembling everything and have a motivated buyer for all the individual parts. Let that one die a peaceful death and become an organ donor for other cars out there.

adesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Leave it where it is, by the time you repair it you would have been better off buying a straight car.

ScrewDrvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can find the parts used off another car that was say hit in the rear, then it would be great.

But I still wouldn't pay 28k for that.