Got a ticket....HELP!

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in California with a car from NY. The car is registred, insured and I have a house with DV from NY.
The cop gave me a ticket for loud muffler and no front plate. I have a court date set.

How can he give me a ticket for a car that is legal in NY?

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
you can fight it. It's like tinted windows. I got pulled over for tinted windows in a state that didn't allow it. I got off due to the fact I was not from that state. Also what is loud? Did he have a decible meter with him or was it his opinion?

Leonard Knight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They recently passed a law here using 95db as the limit for noise. It was to stop this kind of arbitrary citing for loud exhaust. If he didn't have something to measure it with you should be able to get off at least on that part.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like the Cop was a idiot. He can't give you either ticket, but it probably thinking you will just pay as you live in another state.

See him in court and give him a HUGE smile as you walk out with the tickets dropped! :p

OP
OP
E

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FE, yes you have to have the plate in NY but CA does not know what laws are in NY. I have all inspection papers up to date.
He also gave me 10 days to register the car...hahaha. So every visitor to CA that stays ove 10 days has to register their car? What an idiot. I should have told him that I als have tinted windows and no cats LOL!

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My brother-in-law drove from FLA to NY, was stopped in VA for tinted windows. The VA cop got out his tint-o-meter, then pulled out a sheet with the allowable tint in every state. Bro-in-law was too dark for VA and too dark for FLA. He got off because he proved he just bought the truck from a dealer with the tint (must have used the back window tint on the sides also. Ooops.)

Anyway, not that this helps, but don't think they don't know what the other state laws are. Don't know about giving you a ticket for it, though.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
California has a big push to get residence to register their cars in this state. They know full well that there is a strong incentive to register your car in another, cheaper, state. The police are well computerized, and will dog you until you comply.
I remember your earlier thread where you were asking advice on how to get around these laws. Some members gave you some advice, which now in retrospect was faulty.
Some people get away with it for a while, but others get busted early on.
I believe the officer was under orders from his superiors to run a tight neighborhood, and used your lack of a plate to start the proceedure.
If you are going to live in Calif. you will need to accept the enhanced ordinances. (When in Rome)...
You will probably need to get a Calif. drivers license.
Another option is to get a Mexican license, and register your car there. That is almost like a free pass. They won't even give you a parking ticket, as they have learned from experience that they will not be paid. No emissions issues, cheap registration, and almost like embassy plates for teflon immunity.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah well, good luck anyway.

I've heard that OH police will ticket MI motorcycle riders who think they don't have to wear their helmets after they cross into OH. (OH law doesn't require helmets)

OP
OP
E

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mexico!!! How do I do that?

FE, I think that no front plate is different than the helmet law. When entering CA it does not say that you have to have the front plate. So if the car was from PA, the DMV does not even give you 2 plates.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But the car is from New York and New York requires a front plate. And you are toast on that one, can't go to court and claim otherwise. Same thing as Maryland and DC. Maryland does not seem to care to enforce their front plate rule usually, but take the car to DC and it's instant ticket for no front plate, even if it's just parked. It's about the revenue. They are perfectly happy to enforce other states rules if they get paid for doing so. I think you're gonna be toast with no cats too, when you go for emissions out there. If that Mexican thing works I would be on it big time!

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When will guys learn?

No front plate, in a state that requires them, is an excuse for the cops to stop you.

After they stop you, they might just as well pile on the chicken ****.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Viper with a front plate looks like it has a dental issue. Buck teeth. I'd pay the fine rather than have it look like that, IMO.

Ever see the new RX8 with a front plate? Too funny. I'll search for a pic.

GTS1998

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The only one smiling in court will be the officer. He will get a minimum of three hours overtime for the 15 minute appearance.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only one smiling in court will be the officer. He will get a minimum of three hours overtime for the 15 minute appearance.

Is that a Kalifornia thing to encourage cops to show up in court? If so, it would cost more to pay the three hours overtime than the state is collecting for the fine.

Donzi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So whats the big deal?? Neither ticket is a moving violation......so no points.
Just pay the tickets and forgetaboutit!!!!!

VIPERCANE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got a ticket the other day for the H2 tint. Best part about it is I was just getting into the H2 leaving the tag offices after I just got the new registration. I have a Hurricane plate that says RING 5. The state trooper was also leaving and he got into his car. I pulled out and went around and there he was following me. We did not even leave the parking lot of the complex and the lights came on. He said I need to measure the level of your tint. Hahah. Wrote me a tix for $63 or I could have it removed within 30 days and have an officer sign off stating I complied and pay $5 for processing. I saw he had a Gator pen and I figured he saw my tag and was just **********. So, I go home and contacted my cop buddies who were just nice enough to sign off on the tix without me having to remove the tint. $5 was the total cost. The tint is not even that bad, and I have many cop friends in the city/county and neighbouring PDs that have personal cars w/tint much darker than what I have. So much for that BS. Hopefully, I will not see him again as he told me that if I was to just pay the tix and not remove the tint, and if he saw me again, he would pull me over and write me up for something worse. What a dipsh*t!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Bindy

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Got a ticket....HELP!

I don't know about the non-moving violation part, from the Mr Traffic website: (their caps)IN CALIFORNIA, MANY CITIES PARKING ENFORCEMENT ARE NOW TICKETING IF YOU DON'T HAVE A FRONT PLATE.  NOT HAVING A FRONT PLATE WHERE IT IS REQUIRED WILL GET YOU SINGLED OUT FOR THE BIG MOVING VIOLATION THAT YOU MIGHT NOT HAVE GOTTEN SINGLED OUT FOR OTHERWISE!  IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA, THE CITIES THAT ARE TARGETING NO FRONT PLATE OFFENDERS ARE: WEST HOLLYWOOD, BEVERLY HILLS, SANTA MONICA AND CULVER CITY

Vanquish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Got a ticket....HELP!

Guys,

If you have a relative or buddy on the force just ask for a Mini badge and your problems are solved, as long as you don't do anything crazy like donuts in the middle of the street or rob a bank.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When will guys learn?

No front plate, in a state that requires them, is an excuse for the cops to stop you.

After they stop you, they might just as well pile on the chicken ****.
Amen. Avoid the pain and just leave it on while driving. What you can't see won't hurt you.

Vanquish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,

If you have a buddy or relative on the force just ask for a mini badge. Your problems are solved as long as you don't do anything crazy like donuts in the middle of the street or rob a bank.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do laws in another state have to do with the law in the state you are in? It doesn't matter where you are from, you must abide by local laws. If polygamy is legal in Utah, if I move from there to Illinois with my three wives is that not a problem? That being said, in an obviously facetious way, I would go to court and ask for supervision, and I would never EVER consider having more than one wife. One is bad enough.

By the way I have a court date in Evanston tomorrow for running a stop sign and not having proof of insurance (first time they ever gave me a ticket because the date on my insurance card ws not up to date--although I had a card). I hope to pay the fine on the first, get the second dismissed, and am only glad the cop never looked into the car and saw the two girls in the front seat with me. Never even saw the stop sign--I was a little distracted :2tu:

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have a buddy or relative on the force just ask for a mini badge. Your problems are solved as long as you don't do anything crazy like donuts in the middle of the street or rob a bank.

I have a PORAC sticker on my Viper (Police Officer's Association), if that's what you mean by mini badge. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't pay the ticket unless you plan on staying in CA or travelling back there...if it was gonna be once or twice trip to Cali, I'd stiff them!

VIPERCANE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Florida Sheriff's Assoc. Member decal on the back of the H2. It works sometimes. This trooper was just a Gator d*ckhead. Just spiteful that his team can't beat dem Canes. Even all my buddies who are cops said the same thing. Oh well.........I guess that's what you get for loyalty to the U.

Bindy

OP
OP
E

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not worring about the tickets but he gave me 10 days to register. So now visitors to CA have to register their cars if they are staying for more that 10 days?! That is BS. They can't do that.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When are fees due? Commercial vehicles and any vehicle owned by a California resident must be registered immediately upon entry into California unless a special permit was obtained. Residents of other states may operate their vehicles with current registration in their names from their residence state for up to six months or until they:

*Accept gainful employment in California or become a California resident.
*Claim a homeowner's exemption in California.
*Rent or lease a residence in California.
*Enroll in an institution of higher learning as a California resident.
*Dependents attend a school (K-12). Or,
*Intention to live or be located here on a permanent basis (e.g., acquire a California driver license, other licenses not ordinarily extended to a nonresident, registered to vote, etc.).

Fees must be paid within 20 days of entry or residency to avoid penalties.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang