Got my VEC2...and....WOW!!!!

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took my car over to Roe Racing today, and had them install a VEC2. Dave did the install and then afterwards we took it for a couple passes on their private track. I did a pass with the stock calibration, and then he swapped to a second one. We came back and it was a giant improvement. Then he had another calibration to test, and we did a pass with that. That felt slightly better, so we stuck with that. I am going to the dyno on Thursday and will post numbers (before and after). There is a definite difference in the feel of the car.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank Sean and Dave and everyone else at Roe Racing. They have a nice shop, and I will definitely be going back for more go-fast-goodies soon! Thanks again!

OP
OP
A

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wanted to get pulls on the same dyno that I tested it on before. That dyno is like 5 minutes from my house. Actually, I didn't even think about dynoing until I was on my way home. That way I can take away variance by using two different dynos. I did show Dave my old dyno sheet and told him what I wanted done (car was way rich before).

I'll get the car tuned there when I get more stuff installed. I didn't have a whole day or whatever to spend there. I was actually going to get 1.7 roller rockers installed too, but I had to get back here to the office (my house).

EDIT: My car was so rich before that you could smell the gas above like 4000 RPM. Now that is gone. It smells the way it should (which means, no smell).

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm very interested in your dyno results. Please post them when you get them, along with any mods done.

Pat

OP
OP
A

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will. I am getting the car dynoed on Thursday afternoon at the same place as before. I will post before and after results.

Kiaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A dyno tune will unleash even more power, well worth it!

OP
OP
A

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's my old chart from a couple months ago. Since then I have done the VEC2 and MSD wires and new sparkplugs (Autolites). I plan on running it to 6000 RPM this time instead of 5500...

By the way, the two runs above 400 HP are in 4th gear, and the two runs in the 300's are in 3rd gear. The guy didn't charge me extra, so I figured, what the hell??

You must be registered for see images

EDIT: My full mod list at the time of that dyno was...
Corsa catback
no cats
Fidanza aluminum flywheel
Roe smooth tubes/filters

OP
OP
A

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am only going to make one 4th gear pass and one third gear pass.

Any suggestions on what I can do to for like free power? Is it worth throwing a bag of ice on the intake?

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ha. Ha. I'm an engineer. Degree with distinction at Purdue. And I don't know much about this.... Yet. I just bought my Viper. And... I have not had as much fun in years. I have watched and listened for the past few months. When you have questions, the person to ask is Chuck Tator, at Tator Dodge. He has installed more Roe superchargers than Sean.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should be going back to ROE racing and having them dyno/tune at their facility. Your dyno place is not going to have anywhere near the experience with a vec 2 if any that ROE can offer you.

Most important thing is tuning when it comes to programable computers, swapping maps from car to car is fine for a base but to get the best results it should be fine tuned on the car.

It also looks like you started making pulls when the car was not up to opperating temps. I may be wrong on this but vipers typicaly do not pick up power from pull to pull. You should always start your dyno pulls at or close to opperating temps and that will ensure that your results are something you can compare.

Besides that there is not much you can do, except hold your fingers crossed.

OP
OP
A

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car didn't pick up power from pull to pull. If you notice, it dropped. The first pull was the best pull. And when that dyno was made, I drove my car over there and was on the dyno like ten minutes later.

I will get the car tuned when I go back. I just had the VEC2 installed today. When I do more stuff, I will get them to actually tune it.

This isn't some attempt for me to tune it. It's just curiosity. That's it. It isn't worth it to me to pay for tuning when I am just going to change it soon anyway. The people doing the dyno are quite cheap and right up the road from me. If I got the car dynoed at Roe, then there would be the inevitable question of...what about the difference in dynos?

About the Colts...our cheerleaders are hotter.

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jville cheerleaders? When you get one to ride in your Viper, I'll submit. Otherwise, wait for your double A$$ kicking.

OP
OP
A

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jville cheerleaders? When you get one to ride in your Viper, I'll submit. Otherwise, wait for your double A$$ kicking.

Okay, that means you have to submit. :headbang:

Girl I used to work with was one. She's been in the car.

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont get it, you dynoed 409 hp at max before on a 2000 rt/10? with catback exhaust and smooth tubes??? isnt that really low?

OP
OP
A

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dyno is tomorrow at 4. I will post the results.

GotAViper: Just telling you what it was.

I replaced my fuel filter today too. I figured it was a good time for that.

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dyno is tomorrow at 4. I will post the results.

GotAViper: Just telling you what it was.

I replaced my fuel filter today too. I figured it was a good time for that.

but isnt that really low for a 2000 viper? im not sure, i thought some of the older ones were getting like 390-410 stock? a 2000 has 50 more factory hp?

OP
OP
A

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends on the dyno too. Some dynos have very different readings (which is why I am going back to the same dyno for the before/after test).

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My question is how much of the WOW is the tuner, and how much is the VEC2 w/o tuner? I'm from Indy, so I don't have access to Roe Racing. If I buy the VEC2 and install it myself, what kind of HP increase can I expect?

OK, I am not worthy. I submit. Anaconda has a Jville cheerleader in his car. Best I can claim to date (5 days since purchase) is my Sheltie, Molly.

OP
OP
A

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
haha well, to be honest, I think they cut her from the squad because of her attitude....hehe. She was quite attractive though. I used to work at a swimwear company here in town, so I have met and know many of the models. I got my car after I quit there (they didn't pay crap)

The key is the tuning obviously. I have a fairly basic tune in there now. It is not specifically tuned for my combo, just a general base tune. I'll let you know tomorrow.

OP
OP
A

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I showed up at like 3:45 and after standing around for a half hour, I found out that they cancelled my appointment. I don't know yet if I am going to go back there, but I have a tentative appointment for 4 on Monday. If I am less ********** than I am now, I will go there.

EDIT: Just so we are clear, this was NOT Roe Racing, this was the dyno at the other place. I couldn't be happier with Roe.

OP
OP
A

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I showed up and they told me right away that they cancelled it. But they said "don't worry, we can squeeze you in, since you aren't doing any tuning." So I stood around for a while (like 30 minutes), then the guy told me that they couldn't get me in, and it would have to be sometime next week. WHATEVER!!!

Anyway, I am seriously thinking about just not going back. If they had cancelled my appointment, fine....but do me the common courtesy of calling me and letting me know. Or, when I showed up, told me then. Basically I drove over there for nothing, wasted a half hour, and still have to wait until Monday. They didn't offer to give me any sort of discount or anything like that. They did apologize, but I think this kinda goes past the "I'm sorry" point.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
stay away. if they burn you again you'd be really pissed and its not worth it.

stick to sean and HIS tuning.

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your ordeal. I too was looking forward to the results. Saw your posting on "reactions" to Viper. I too just got my Viper, and have had very similar reactions. My favorite was a young boy and his mother at the gas station. His eyes were as as round and wide as a full moon. I invited him to come look into the interior. He asked how much it cost. I just told him to study hard, learn, and work hard and good things (like a Viper) would come to him. His Mom appreciated my advice. She said he wanted to go to Purdue. Made my day.

Pat

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I showed up and they told me right away that they cancelled it. But they said "don't worry, we can squeeze you in, since you aren't doing any tuning." So I stood around for a while (like 30 minutes), then the guy told me that they couldn't get me in, and it would have to be sometime next week. WHATEVER!!!

Anyway, I am seriously thinking about just not going back. If they had cancelled my appointment, fine....but do me the common courtesy of calling me and letting me know. Or, when I showed up, told me then. Basically I drove over there for nothing, wasted a half hour, and still have to wait until Monday. They didn't offer to give me any sort of discount or anything like that. They did apologize, but I think this kinda goes past the "I'm sorry" point.

Thats a crock of ****, terrible business ethics.

Is Sean Roe booked up or too expensive? J/W why you didn't just go there to start?

OP
OP
A

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have explained this several times now. The reason why I chose the "other" dyno place is because they dynoed my car before. I wanted to use the same dyno to eliminate any dyno-to-dyno difference.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joebrett