Gotta be a dumb question...rev limiter

lobo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm a new viper owner and I was on it hard one night and I wasn't watching the tach and it hit what felt like a rev limiter. Reminded me of the sound a V-Twin makes when you over rev. Do these engines have rev limiters?

OP
OP
L

lobo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think I liked that sound or sudden loss of power so I'll be more careful for sure. Thx for the confirmation...means I didn't break something :) .

I gotta say though, these engines are defnitely a different breed. On a Chevy you can easily tell when you're revved, but this V-10 didn't sound like it was wound that tight...a whole different tune obviously.

OP
OP
L

lobo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey viperdude, good to know you're in the area. I run up that way occassionally just to cross the bridge and smell the swamp :) . My rag top pins were missing so I just bought those two from the Dodge dealership right there on US19 north of Home Depot...they were friendly.

In addition to the Dodge dealership, are there any other local shops that have experience with Vipers? Mine's running fine and only has 14k miles, but it sounds like from reading this site that it's going to need a clutch and other stuff at some point. If you don't want to list it here can you email me of a shop you trust and recommend? [email protected]. Thx.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rev limiter is set at 6200 rpm, I hit it once and thought a drive shaft broke.