Grey Interior Trim Paint 1995 RT10

Dude80

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was cleaning the windshield and gauge covers on the instrument panel with Windex and to my amazement when I wiped with the cloth it removed some of the paint and left marks where it "ran" down the panel.
I have been searching through these forums and from what I have gathered the gray paint is a special rubberized factory paint that can not be purchased. I see many people repaint the panels black and it does
look good, its just that I want to keep my Viper looking factory original for everything. Has anyone tried buying gray paint to touch up the interior from Sherwin Williams or other paint store? Would an auto body shop be
able to mix up some rubberized paint that is almost identical? Thanks.
Jon

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, are you sure it was windex, I know stuff like spray 9 takes the paint off, but never had a problem with windex. If that happened to me I would have a heart attack .

OP
OP
D

Dude80

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah it was Windex. The grey paint is still on the cloth, the whole cloth is greyish black - I thought it was dirt so I kept wiping. Its a 1995 so I guess the paint is just old and today I realized touch up paint is not gonna work because the
panels are a disgrace - they look terrible now. I am going to have to pull the instrument panel, glove box, and both door bezel covers and just paint strip them (won't be hard!) and have them professionally repainted. The original factory paint
must be real crap to come off like that. The question is do I get a gray rubberized color like the OEM or go flat black to match the doors. I used my girlfriend's hair buzzer and set the clipper guard to a medium setting and gave the door fabric a haircut
- it looks like new now! It was starting to look like dreadlocks.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
You might be able to find something like pasti-dip to redo the panels. That has a real light rubberized feel, though it's probably a little closer in nature to the instrument panel bezel on the gen 3 and 4 cars. You can buy it as a base and have it tinted. The earlier gen cars seemed like they had a thicker feel to them though, so not sure it would really replicate the OEM look as well.

OP
OP
D

Dude80

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks. Yes according to that website it would cost $664 not including shipping for just one quart of the mixture :(

OP
OP
D

Dude80

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sherwin Williams automotive has 3 different soft feel bake on interior finish paint types I think I will go with one of those and have the color to match the original gray. I now need to figure out what type of plastic the interior panels are made from to choose the correct type of paint. Anyone know?

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Posted in the other thread as well, pretty sure it is ABS. Do not use any solvent based paints, a catalyzed paint should work fine.

Your most dificult task is going to be sure everything is clean. No silicones, no cleaners, no residue in any small crack or crevice.

OP
OP
D

Dude80

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok will do. Thanks a lot Mopar Steve. I really appreciate the advice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32