GTS Adjustable Ride Height

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wondering if there is such a thing. I'm talking about pushing a button and raising or lowering the car. It would be the best of both worlds. I could raise it going out the driveway and then lower it on the street. Has anyone done this?

Thanks
Gary

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most commonly, you'd have to install airbags to accomplish that. I've seen a "piston based" ride height adjustment kit from Roberuta, but it's expensive and heavy from what I understand. The Roberuta kit *I think* maintains your factory suspension, where airbags wouldn't, you'd have to gut your ACR suspension which is just, well...blasphemy! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same thought many years ago. It's possible with air bags but you would need an air tank accumulator which takes up a lot of space. It's just not worth it.

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I saw a slammed red rt/10 at VOI 9. It was running airbag.......and as a matter of fact I think the plate read "RIDELOW" or something like it. It just didn't look right to see a Viper sitting on the frame.

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes you can do a real nice set up. I’m going to be doing it my self sooner or later. What you need to get is a fully automatic air ride system from "AIR RIDE" It comes with "shockwaves" which is a shock with an air bag built in to it and ride height sensors which allow you to set a normal ride height that you would want your car to always maintain and you can also do two more settings, one for the track and one for something else. You can also adjust the height manually if you choose. It works like the s class benzos and the new Escalades and Denali’s. Your car will ride awesome even if you slam it to the ground and will handle like a train on rails. The system automatically adjusts each corner of the car as you progress through the turns to give you the maximum handling. Both my cl55 and sl55 have this system in them stock and wow do those cars handle.

What you would need is ridepro 2.. Link below and....
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/135982

And a set of these shockwaves
front----http://www.ridetech.com/productinfo/shockwave.asp
rear-----http://www.ridetech.com/productinfo/shockwave79.asp

They have only done one viper so far.

Let me know if you have any questions.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't get the link for Microsoft support???

Do these air bags need a tank? Where does the compressor go?

jwbond

Viper Owner
Reaction score
synfull, let me know if you get it done.

I am in Doylestown, PA and would love to check it out! Where are you in Bucks?

OP
OP
S

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anton,
That is very interesting info. I will check it out.
It's looks like it would be around 2k so it will have to wait until after I get my s/c. :cool:
jwbond- I am in bensalem. I will let you know if I do it.

Thanks
Gary

kane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys , My name is Ravi, I am the owner of Umbrella Auto Design is seattle, Washington. I have recently joined this forum and I saw this thread regarding Adjustable ride height.

My shop specializes in the NSX however we are branching out into other markets.

I manufacture PATENTED ride height control device which is far superior to Roberuta and costs much less.

It is an aluminum cup which fits between your spring and the upper bearing plate in your existing coilover.

The device is pneumatically operated and comes with a very small and light weight power unit and aluminum air reservoir.

In the collapsed state(normal driving height) the device is metal on metal and acts only as a spacer, when you press the supplied button, the system fills with air and raises the vehicle to clear driveways, speed bumps, towtruck beds etc.

You can set your ground clearance as low as you like for normal driving and still have the ability to raise at any time to clear obstacles

The system will not affect your suspension handling in a negative manner as is with the case with air bags or hydraulics. It merely acts as a spacer in the collapsed state.

This system will work on RT/10, GTS, SRT10, and SRT10 Coupe

Also unlike air bags, in the event of a system failure and a drop in air pressure, My system wont allow your car to come crashing down on the pavement (can you imagine that at 80 mph) As you are not normally riding on air. You only introduce air to the system when you need to clear an obstacle

The amount of lift is in the range of of 2-5"

We have been running the system on dozens of NSX's for about 3 years now, We have built systems for the Skyline GTR and recently been commissioned to build a system for the Porsche GT3.

This system will not change the way your Viper handles whatsoever.
Here is the link to the device on my website:

Variable Ride Height Suspension Kit by Umbrella Auto Design

Kits are available for front only or front and rear.

here are a few videos of customers cars with the system installed:

YouTube - umbrellaautodesign.com ultimate coilover suspension system

YouTube - Widebody 1998 nsx umbrellaautodesign.com

YouTube - Umbrella Auto Design Air Cup Kit for NSX

Details of the kit

The kit consists of:
4 flat pneumatic pistons
2 gallon aluminum air tank
air pump
electric air valves
DOT approved air line
switches
fittings
wiring kit
pressure switch
all necessary fittings
Bolt in mounting rack that requires no drilling
Pre wired wiring harness for total 3 wire hookup.
come completely pre plumbed and assembled

Install time around 5 hours with hand tools

Kit details:
Pistons manufactured in the USA from T351 2024 aerospace aluminum
Replaceable urethane seals
High quality Camozzi Air fittings
1400 psi DOT approved air line
Remote capable electric air valves
Complete system weight under 20lbs (front and rear kit)

also a few pics of the system are attached

Let me know if this is something viper owners would want. We can produce it in about 1 week.

Feel free to call me with any questions

Thanks

Ravi
www.umbrellaautodesign.com
206 229 7856
[email protected]

Last edited:

NZGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Ravi,
This system seems like the only true solution for high performance cars like the viper(keeps factory settings and suspension), Depending on cost I would be very keen on this system , except as I am in New Zealand and so is my car, I would need a kit that has been fitted and tested. do you also sell the springs to go with the kit or do we have to buy lowered springs and then fit with your kit? if so I am guessing that the car would actually sit a little higher than if we just fitted lower springs as your spacer must lift it a bit even when deflated.

Cheers

kane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Ravi,
This system seems like the only true solution for high performance cars like the viper(keeps factory settings and suspension), Depending on cost I would be very keen on this system , except as I am in New Zealand and so is my car, I would need a kit that has been fitted and tested. do you also sell the springs to go with the kit or do we have to buy lowered springs and then fit with your kit? if so I am guessing that the car would actually sit a little higher than if we just fitted lower springs as your spacer must lift it a bit even when deflated.

Cheers

Hello we regularly ship kits internationally, shipping to New Zealand is no problem at all.

The kit I supply will be complete and tested. As I stated before its a modular design that can be used on any vehicle with a coil over suspension. I only need to know the exact diameter of the shock piston to the 1/1000" in order to build accordingly. We have dozens of these kits on the road and track and have never had any sort of failure....ever.

The springs which are supplied with some of the nsx kits will not be necessary on the viper. Due to the design on the nsx front suspension, depending on the coil over used a shorter spring must be used in order to avoid contacting the upper control arm.

The vehicle will not sit any higher than it does with out the kit installed.
We supply everything necessary to offset for the very minimal thickness of the collapsed cup.

Please feel free to call with any more questions also. I am interested to get input from viper owners and also find out what models you are driving.

Pricing on my website.

thanks guys!:)

Ravi
www.umbrellaautodesign.com
206 229 7856
[email protected]

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2 gallons still takes up a lot of space. Not sure where I would put the tank and pump.

Parisianviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Question:
Will the car be usable in moderately raised state in a street environnement or is it just to clear an obstacle?
I'm thinking about two heights: One for the street, one for the Highway/track.

kane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question:
Will the car be usable in moderately raised state in a street environnement or is it just to clear an obstacle?
I'm thinking about two heights: One for the street, one for the Highway/track.

Hello,while the system can be driven in the raised state, it is not recommended for extended periods of time. We have regularly driven in the semi raised state on the freeway etc in the shop NSX for testing. However yes handling will not be optimal with air inside the chamber.

The system is designed to allow a very low set ride height which will not compromise handling, with the added ability to clear ramps, driveways etc by engaging the piston.

kane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys I am very new to this forum so forgive me but I just realized that this particular area of the forum is not for the SRT guys. I want to make sure this reaches them also. Is it improper etiquette for this forum if I also post in the SRT area with the same initial message?

thanks

Ravi

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are welcome to pay money and advertise on this site. Doing so will reduce the amount of public bashing you will receive for peddling this non-performance "mod."

kane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok thanks for your very polite response. As far as it not being a performance mod, I believe there are many other products that are not performance mods that still have merit. The ability to not destroy your bodywork and chassis is one of them imo

I am happy to pay for advertising but as it sits we do not produce a Viper kit, I am looking to ascertain the level of interest from Viper owners before we proceed.

Again thanks for the very not snide and indeed very polite response to my question.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are welcome to pay money and advertise on this site. Doing so will reduce the amount of public bashing you will receive for peddling this non-performance "mod."

Ka-Blammo.

Main reason I'm a VCA member now. Was getting bashed for playing w/o paying. Went Venom just to ice the cake.

So yeah, the first blunder is free. After that, we start sending you Corvette holiday greeting cards!

kane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ka-Blammo.

Main reason I'm a VCA member now. Was getting bashed for playing w/o paying. Went Venom just to ice the cake.

So yeah, the first blunder is free. After that, we start sending you Corvette holiday greeting cards!

Point taken regarding advertising :) At this point just trying to judge the level of interest, again if I blundered regarding forum policies I apologize.

thanks

Ravi

kane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok guys I just sent the email to the moderator and inquired about advertising on your site.

thanks

Ravi

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte