GTS fuel door refinish options

NetkoGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking to have the fuel door on my GTS refinished. What options are there? Powdercoating? Re-Chrome? Which will be the best option?

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take it off and give her a good polish. Not by hand but with a polishing wheel. A friend did mine a couple of years ago and it looked like new.

Luisv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was going to say, it is polished aluminum, not chromed..... A good polish and you should be great. I have to do mine at some point.

realityeds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you do chrome it, I'm just about to take mine off. Cal Chrome does it for $150 and recommends that it is completely disassembled to avoid later peeling/chrome damage on the hinge. See the webiste for a pic of the finished fuel door.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take it off and give her a good polish. Not by hand but with a polishing wheel. A friend did mine a couple of years ago and it looked like new.

Was going to say, it is polished aluminum, not chromed..... A good polish and you should be great. I have to do mine at some point.

Is there a clear coat that has to be stripped first? (Seems like there must be for it to have stayed looking good for 10 years. Mine is starting to show signs of corrosion at the edge.

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is some kind of coating on it that needs to be removed. I polished mine on a floor mounted polisher (which removed what was remaining of the original coating as well as all the oxidation). After I polished it I then recleared it because if you don't it will only reoxidize (I found this out the hard way).

OP
OP
N

NetkoGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a clear coat on it. How hard is it to remove? More importantly... how hard is it to GET BACK ON?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang