GTS gas tank

lleone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know, I'd doubt it though. On a side note, I am dismantling the trunk pans and such on my GTS this winter so that I can sound insulate the gas tank.

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Larger gas tank - for what purpose? I would doubt it without extensive and expensive modifications.

Fuel cells - yes. Some have installed in the rear cargo area (not NHRA approved) and some have front mounted fuel cells for high HP applications.

What are you trying to achieve??

HouseofSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would recommend checking with FuelSafe or ATL in regards to a larger cell. Both companies offer big cells, and FuelSafe has provided them to the OE for production as well...specifically the 95 Cobra R.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
KKM, are you wide open for that 148 miles @ 9mpg...... maybe you have a 02 sensor bad or another problem. Thats horrible mileage.

lleone, why are you sound insulating your fuel tank, has it been complaining about the exhaust noise??
smile.gif

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The stock tank uses pretty much every nook and cranny of the stock location. So, any increase will come at the expense of trunk space.

OP
OP
L

lleone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1TONY1:
lleone, why are you sound insulating your fuel tank, has it been complaining about the exhaust noise??
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My gas tank has been experiencing a ringing in its ears. Its doctor did some tests and sure enough, the tank has had some minor hearing loss. He recommended some sound insulating to prevent further loss. I said no way, but then my tank starting holding out on gas. I'm kinda banked into a corner here, the car doesn't go very fast without that gas, so I agreed to insulate my tank.

Seriously though, the difference in cabin noise between a full tank and an empty one is significant. I have HMS headers and pipes on the car which doesn't help. My wife and I are tired of yelling at each other while we're tooling around in the car. We also take it on a lot of trips (It's a 2000 andI've got 16k miles on it already).

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lleone, are you saying that there is less resonance or noise when your tank is full ? Are you insulating the tank or the area around the tank. I have the hms exhaust and headers also.

OP
OP
L

lleone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony,

You've never noticed the difference between a full tank of gas and a near empty one? I'll check the DBs next time I see my father-in-law (he's a retired acoustical engineer with way too much time on his hands), but the cabin gets significantly louder as the tank empties. I think I can tell my fuel level by sound now.

I don't have a distinct plan yet. I figure I need to get the tank exposed to see what can be done.

Lou

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't noticed but have only had it for six months. It is somthing I will pay attention to next fill up. Results of a db test would be neat to see. I will have to admit that half the time my fillups are 10 gallons for weight savings due to the weekend/possible racing.

I still wonder if KKM has an engine/mileage problem???

OP
OP
L

lleone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
KKM, Tony could be onto something. On the Thurways cruising at 70mph or so in 6th, I get average 21mpg +/- 2mpg. Around town, I get 15mpg pretty consistently. I don't drive very gently at all, my car is usually filthy, but I do keep the engine in top shape.

About the noise tests, we've talked about 3 courses of action which include, grommeting to isolate the bolts that secure the pipe sections, matting in the trunk area, and insulating the gas tank. I'm going to cross post this to see if there's enough interest and if people would like "kits" (instructions and parts) once we've figured it all out. The drone in the cabin does not make the GTS much of a "pleasure" cruising vehicle.

Lou

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine