GTS Hard Top vs Vert Vipers?

gringoray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fellas,

Do any of you guys have any regrets with your vert cars? Are the GTS Vipers any better overall than their convertable counterparts?

I´m just looking for some real feedback pros and cons on hard tops vs verts.

Thanks a bunch.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is nothing like having the RT. Love the top off feeling, and I am not a convertible guy! The best is driving at night with the top off around town or in Miami Beach. Nothing like it.

SNAKE BITE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The RT/10s leak. Some a little, some a lot. Thats the only downside in my mind. Moral of story--dont drive in the rain ;)

That is just not true. Some leak. By far not all.

IMO you can have virtually both by getting an RT then buy an Autoform roof. Many will not know it's a convertable with the Autoform roof on.

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my RT, especially with my three piece top. It's the best of both worlds.

P1010041.JPG

Plus, everyone knows RT's are faster. :D

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only time I regret not having a GTS is when I'm on the track, but since I bought the car for street use it not a big deal.

In the past I have been cought many times in good weather with my hard top on, and find my self kicking and screaming that I left it on. Now imagine if you are GTS owner, and have no such option.

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the past I have been cought many times in good weather with my hard top on, and find my self kicking and screaming that I left it on. Now imagine if you are GTS owner, and have no such option.

go with the three piece top, then you can always take the top off, no matter where you are!

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I prefer to drive the RT and the looks of the RT over the GTS myself. I don't have any leaks on my hardtop either, I have the Mopar top.

I also agree the trunk top seems like a good choice as for convenience and looks great as well. But it's hard to justify the $ when you have the top off 95% of the driving time. In my opinion the best looking viper is the RT with the top off.

I gather that more people prefer the looks of the GTS over the RT, but I have always loved the rear deck lid of the original / RT-10.

Ultimately you have to get what you want. I think it is more personal taste than anything.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only GEN3 Vipers are 'verts, GEN2 RT/10's are targas

I hate being "couped" up.....that's why I have owned 2 RT/10's

NEVER drive in the rain......so that's not an issue

Love having the wind blow through what little bit of hair I have left!

Reaction score
First Viper was a RT(soft top never used) which I loved. Added a GTS and the RT stayed in the Garage only to be driven on perfect days to keep the battery charged. the RT was a blast to drive with great visibility. The GTS is more suited for changing weather (hot-cold, etc.), has more luggage space, and better aerodynamics. Sold the RT to make room for a SRT10, which is a great car. The SRT10 top is easy to put up or down in less than a minute. I like both the hard and soft top, so my answer is buy one of each.

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
love my RT/10, glad I have it over a GTS. it would get stuffy in the mountains on a summer day in a GTS, the RT/10 is awesome. the RT/10 also looks better because it looks much lower/flatter than the GTS...

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW I am surprised to see that i'm not the only person here who prefers the RT/10
over the GTS. When I purchased my first viper i can remember looking at both and
had my wife look at both as well. Without telling her i liked the RT she picked
the RT as well. :2tu: IMHO the RT/10 has the looks of the original viper and
that was what i wanted. The major plus is being able to take the top off or leave
it on, best of both worlds. You should keep in mind i have never been a fan of
owning a GTS. good luck as you really cant go wrong buying a RT/10, GTS OR SRT,
NOTHING LIKE OWNING A VIPER. :2tu:

TOM

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The RT is the only one to have; in my personal opinion. In 10 years of having an RT, the only possible advantages I've seen that the GTS has over the RT is cargo space, and even that is not by much. Everything the GTS can do, so can the RT, including the track. I've always preferred the look of the RT, and if you want a hard top over your head, its a simple matter of putting the top on.

The only reason to buy a GTS is if you prefer the styling, as many do. If you like them both equally, or prefer the RT styling, then you can't go wrong with an RT.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I appreciate your post Randy but it ALWAYS comes down to styling and the GTS is hands-down the best looking Viper to date. :cool:

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I appreciate your post Randy but it ALWAYS comes down to styling and the GTS is hands-down the best looking Viper to date. :cool:

That is simply an opinon not fact. Personally I do not prefer one to the other from any stand point.

IMG_0410.JPG

This is my RT with the Autoform Roof....Agreed with Andy its the best of both worlds... :headbang:

Viperarri

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have always loved the lines of the GTS, I think its stunning, but once you have owned a vert (targa) its really hard not to have one. I think now I have the best of both worlds with the 3 piece top and my Rt-10, with all 3 pieces in place it kind of looks like the GTS, but different. Nowadays, I usually leave only the center of the roof on and take out the back window, cuts down on the noise and the comments I get are even more than when I run with no roof at all, I love it..

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
GTS ALL THE WAY! Like Chad stated with the older RT/10's, 1996 and below, its not a matter of if they leak its how much they leak. LOL Both cars are great and each has there pluses.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTS for me too.
Visability on the RT was really bad. But that's because I'm 6'6", which is not a good height for driving the RT.

I prefer the looks of the GTS, and it just feel right driving the GTS vs the RT for me.

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RT all the way. You cannot beat driving around with the top off in the summer time. I will never drive my car in the rain, so leaking is not an issue. I only have the soft top for my RT, the orig owner did not get the hard top which I wish I had, but what are you going to do. I would post images of my car, but I do not know how.

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It really comes down to personal preference IMHO. I bought my GEN II GTS in January. I was soooo close to getting an RT simply because I liked the targa top, but in the end I liked the lines on the GTS better than the RT, and I wanted the blue with white stripes. It is somewhat proven that the GTS handles better than the RT when at speed, but I think that is about it on differences besides leaking.

I like both, and if I could, I would have one of each. Thankfully, my Corvette ZR1 is a targa top. I need to find a woman who has a roadster :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4