GTS spare vs. SRT inflator - saved 32 pounds for $99.99

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTS factory spare, jack, and hold down plate - 34.4 pounds

Factory spare cover - 2 pounds

SRT inflator including leak stop canister - 4.6 pounds, $92.80 plus tax here = $99.99

About 32 pounds saved.

A thin carpeted cover will add a smidgen of weight back over the hole, as well as a hold down bracket I'll build. Pics on the bracket later. Splitter still needs finishing...

I'll still use the real spare for road trips but for giving the cops a moving ticket target the pump will work fine.

You must be registered for see images

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave said:
"And on an RT the spare tire is part of the crash structure of the car. :nono:"

Ah Dave, GTS same chassis! Okay the trunk lid [RT/10] wont be cutting your head off after you back her into a telephone at speed [God for bid!] but what's stopping that pole in a GTS........some fiber glass and a gas tank. :hmmm: :doh2:

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool Dave,

I have had my spare in the corner of the garage for some time now with no backup in case of a flat.

Don't think your candy cane-mobile would look too hot with the HRE's and a doughnut!

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave said:
"And on an RT the spare tire is part of the crash structure of the car. :nono:"

Ah Dave, GTS same chassis! Okay the trunk lid [RT/10] wont be cutting your head off after you back her into a telephone at speed [God for bid!] but what's stopping that pole in a GTS........some fiber glass and a gas tank. :hmmm: :doh2:

Buckle up Buttercup, because this is where I side with Jon B. I know everything that both you and him have written; I've done the homework and everybody else can do it too.

No hard feelings man, but I covered my ass on the RT/10 thing. Read the title to my thread. And I don't care about the prostate check via phone pole syndrome. :D

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK. I've topped off my mug of frosty beverage and will pose a question of logic to the crash structure of a car. Could be any car of similar design. The Viper GTS is likely not the only car made with a steel frame, rear glass, and spare tire in the trunk.

-> Is not the point of a collapsible impact absorbing structure to have it collapse? (answer by Dave... YES)

-> Is the donut spare collapsible? (answer by Dave... not really)

So if you take an object that is not collapsible (the spare) and insert it into a structure that is collapsible (the chassis/body of the car), have you not therefore ensured that the rear force of impact will be transferred through the spare to the other side? That gas tank? As opposed to being absorbed by the collapsing frame/body?

Hmm. :hmmm:

Big Mac

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Maybe it's the theory of one more thing to mangle before it's your butt? Kinda like added resistance before the drivers seat?

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is the first time I've heard the norm challenged...I've always accepted it as gospel. And I'll be damned...what Dave is saying makes sense! MY WHOLE WORLD HAS BEEN INVERTED...EGAD!

Now, the proof is in the pudding...2 of you GTS guys need to back your cars into telephone poles; one with a donut and one without. Get back to us with the results. Annnndddd....GO.

For the time being I'll leave mine in; it holds up the carpeted MDF my amp is mounted to.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK. I've topped off my mug of frosty beverage and will pose a question of logic to the crash structure of a car. Could be any car of similar design. The Viper GTS is likely not the only car made with a steel frame, rear glass, and spare tire in the trunk.

-> Is not the point of a collapsible impact absorbing structure to have it collapse? (answer by Dave... YES)

-> Is the donut spare collapsible? (answer by Dave... not really)

So if you take an object that is not collapsible (the spare) and insert it into a structure that is collapsible (the chassis/body of the car), have you not therefore ensured that the rear force of impact will be transferred through the spare to the other side? That gas tank? As opposed to being absorbed by the collapsing frame/body?

Hmm. :hmmm:

Do I dare show what's in the back of mine??????:rolaugh:

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I'm screwed in a high-speed rearend crash

You must be registered for see images attach

and if I get a flat I don't have a way to fix it either
oh well :dunno:

the inflator is a good idea Dave
I'll be watching to see how you mount it :2tu:

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How does a tire inflater work without plugging hole first?
I just carry a couple cans of fix-a-flat.:2tu:

TS6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How does a tire inflater work without plugging hole first?
I just carry a couple cans of fix-a-flat.:2tu:

I was just going to say that. The air comes out of a tire for a reason, filling it back up probably won't fix it.

I bought a kit from autozone that has a pump, plug kit, and tires slime for I think $30. So I at least have a chance of fixing it. I also have towing coverage through my insurance. It only costs like $1 a month, I have it on all my cars.

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Um... Pay attention here fellows. This is the juicy part. The SRT kit comes with the stop leak canister on it.

Like, um, do you really think I'm stupid enough to pay $100 for an air pump just because it says Mopar on it? No. It is a complete kit.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes, you can fix a flat. Make up a hose from one of those bottles to a tire valve. Good to have, probably never need it. Just don't light a match from inside the tire.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Um... Pay attention here fellows. This is the juicy part. The SRT kit comes with the stop leak canister on it.

Like, um, do you really think I'm stupid enough to pay $100 for an air pump just because it says Mopar on it? No. It is a complete kit.

Dave, Dave, Dave, You never mentioned anywhere that the Mopar one had the stop leak with it. Soooo, without one in front of me to SEE THAT, how would one know that?:rant::hitwithrock::buttkick::chair::pile::banned::hit::stooges::nunu::box::spank::slap::aargh::fart:

:kiss::D

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTS factory spare, jack, and hold down plate - 34.4 pounds

Factory spare cover - 2 pounds

SRT inflator including leak stop canister - 4.6 pounds, $92.80 plus tax here = $99.99

About 32 pounds saved.

A thin carpeted cover will add a smidgen of weight back over the hole, as well as a hold down bracket I'll build. Pics on the bracket later. Splitter still needs finishing...

I'll still use the real spare for road trips but for giving the cops a moving ticket target the pump will work fine.

Dave, Dave, Dave, You never mentioned anywhere that the Mopar one had the stop leak with it. Soooo, without one in front of me to SEE THAT, how would one know that?:rant::hitwithrock::buttkick::chair::pile::banned::hit::stooges::nunu::box::spank::slap::aargh::fart:

:kiss::D

Oh REALLY fellows???

I DIDN'T say that ON MY FIRST POST???

Once again. PAY ATTENTION! ;)

I am incredibly detail oriented. All aspects; on the car, on the keyboard etc. Keep trying. You'll katch me sum time! :lmao:

TS6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well then, if nothing else my post serves to save people money by buying the same thing for $60-$70 less.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:beer: fwiw, my comment was backing your play:

:doh2: osmosis: "Net movement of solvent ("including leak stop canister") from the less-concentrated (SNKEBIT :dunno:) to the more-concentrated (the "incredibly detail oriented" :cool:) solution, which tends to reduce the difference in concentrations (now both know). :eater:

Osmosis is important in biological systems as many biological membranes are semipermeable (getting info from original post to post readers)":2tu:

(cool avatar pic SNKEBIT, btw)

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:beer: fwiw, my comment was backing your play:

:doh2: osmosis: "Net movement of solvent ("including leak stop canister") from the less-concentrated (SNKEBIT :dunno:) to the more-concentrated (the "incredibly detail oriented" :cool:) solution, which tends to reduce the difference in concentrations (now both know). :eater:

Osmosis is important in biological systems as many biological membranes are semipermeable (getting info from original post to post readers)":2tu:

(cool avatar pic SNKEBIT, btw)

Whaaaa?????:D

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well then, if nothing else my post serves to save people money by buying the same thing for $60-$70 less.

And after doing that same research that you did to conclude you could save that money, it lead me to the conclusion that the Mopar unit was the better bargain.

You did do research didn't you...?

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would think to leave the spare in because the extra weight, even though minimal, is needed over the rear tires and would help with traction n

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96