GTS transmission

G

grcforce327

Carl,pm Dell,I believe he had to use his genII exciter wheel on the output shaft for the speedo along with machining the speedo hole in the genIII tailhousing for the genII sensor.

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A GenIII uses a wheel sensor (ABS) for the speed pick up. Exactly as grcforce327 states, you have to put a speed sensor hole in the extension of the GenIII trans and add the tone wheel on the output shaft. The GenIII is a much stronger / better trans. The 2-piece 5/6/rev cluster extension is a weak point on the GenI/II...I've screwed 4 (and no more now)!

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can the later SRT trans go straight in the gts

I wondered if the speedo pick up is the same?

Carl

The answer is 'most'. On early Gen III's (some 2003's... not all) there was no provision for a speed sensor in the tail-housing since speed can be sensed from the ABS sensors. Dodge wanted to make warranty work easier so they fixed this and all current transmissions have the port for the speed sensor.

I had a lot of $$ put into a gen3 tranny for my gen2 and then when i got it back i noticed no provision for a speed sensor. oops. a trip to the machine shop took care of that, though. just a drilled hole that's all.

so check the tail-housing on the tranny in question! or if it is a later-model gen3 tranny i'm sure you are fine.

JD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950