Guys, do any of you use that z-max micro lubricant

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are very, very few oil additives out there that genuinely do what they say. Zmax isn't one of them.

The additive packages already included in today's oils pretty much negate the need for anything extra. Pick a good oil, pour it in, and call it a day. Wasting brain cells trying to wade through BS advertising isn't worth the time or effort.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper owners manual says not to add additives. ZMAX is a marketing deal only. Carol Shelby stuff. "And I put my name on it"

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope. no need for those addative products IMO, Ive always assumed that most of them were gimmicks

A properlly blended oil should have everything you need in it already
I use either Shell Rotella T6 5w40 or Motul 8100 5w40 for street & track cause they both have elevated anti-wear additives that are benificial

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are very, very few oil additives out there that genuinely do what they say. Zmax isn't one of them.

The additive packages already included in today's oils pretty much negate the need for anything extra. Pick a good oil, pour it in, and call it a day. Wasting brain cells trying to wade through BS advertising isn't worth the time or effort.
Steve, this is pretty much what I was thinking. To me, it's just like those so-called chips that add 70hp for $69 bucks. I can't tell you how many of my friends have told me that they put this or that chip on their car & now it's running a full second or two faster. I've NEVER seen a chip help anything, whether it's gas mileage or hp but on Diesels! I may be wrong but this has always been my experience!

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good marketing can sell most anything these days, even if the product doesn't stack up. That's why I research pretty much anything I buy these days.

If I'm genuinely curious about oils or additives, I've found that BobistheOilGuy.com seems to have the brain trust of lubricant experts. I'm sure a quick search for ZMax over there would turn up some good (and probably pretty funny) info.

EZ 2B Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only additives that need consideration are those which enhance the ZDDP level of today's automotive motor oils.
Especially for older model Vipers. Another option for those needing motor oil with the Zinc levels of the past is to use an SAE "SL" grade motor oil.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since the advent of modern fuel injection, by doing the most basic of oil and filter changes with a name brand oil, your car will fall apart or rust out before your motor wears out.

Don't use any oil additives.

Cheers,
George

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Stay away from that crap. I threw a rod in an Acclaim in the 90's after putting that stuff in.

JPL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That reminds me of that old infomercial, I think it was Slick 50 with Al Unser driving around the track in a Viper with no oil in it.....