Hard top Question

yellowviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where can I purchase a winch, electrical or manual, to lift the hard top of my '01 RT/10? Thanks for your imput. Jack

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just hire two mexican guys:D No offense to all mexicans out there, the truth is you will never be able to hire 2 Americans guys.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never used a winch and I've had hard top last 15 years. I loosen the locks, sit on driver seat, grab top from both sides and stand up. Works well fo a 6 foot guy.

Winch would be handy. The top is very light, I think you could easily use bicycle ceiling mounts, they come with 2 attachement spots that may fit the top quite well. (and cost about 20 bucks)
Similar to this:
You must be registered for see images

I use mine to get bicycles out of my sight and garage floor, but it could be used for the top too. If you worry about balancing it, get two racks.... or just 4 arms.

arizonajack

Enthusiast
Reaction score

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The top video is me, this lift was originally for a MB SL then I used it the `1955 Thunderbird both of which tops are a lot heavier. The pulley are not for more lifting they are to slow the Harbor Freight winch. The Thunderbird had two large pointy latches the come down in to a hole in a painted surface so you needed it to go slower to give you time to make sure they were lined up and doing serious damage. As for the viper top I can do the soft top fine but when I reached senior citizenship the hard top and the way you have to stretch over to pick it up is too ******* my back, fine with two people but my wife doesn’t like to help. So that is why I use the lift plus it give me a place to store it when not in use.

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a guy that uses a lifting contraption. After the cost and effort of installation that contraption, it takes a good five minutes to take it off the car. I don't even want to think about what it takes to get it back on. Not for me, thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydQi86Whofw

I take mine off and on like this guy does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=583_PXBRh1o

Takes a few seconds after undoing the latches.

last video makes a ton of sense unless you have a hernia, super weak, or just like gadgets

but i have to agree the first one gives a great idea of storing the top.

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking of rigging an engine lift to R&R the top. They have lift capacities in excess of 6 feet; deal breaker could be whether there is enough clearance beneath the Viper (well at least my lowered one) to wheel it under.

cigar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
last video makes a ton of sense unless you have a hernia, super weak, or just like gadgets

but i have to agree the first one gives a great idea of storing the top.

Note that in the last video the guy doesn't unlatch the back. I just got my car and one of the back latches was jammed, one of the "latch hooks" was buried up in there, I finally got it out and found the large center rivet was loose, Dodge doesn't have the part anymore so I had a shop replace the rivet with a bolt grinding both sides down. The manual is no help, it shows two things hanging down, what they call a "Latch Hook" and what they call a "Release Lever", they say: "3. Pull the rear latch hooks to the side", that is correct because the "Latch Hook" is the only movable one, the so-called "Release Lever" doesn't release anything, it is solidly mounted to the latching assembly, apparently it's just there to give you something to hold on to while pulling the "Latch Hook" as instructed.

The previous owner claimed he'd never had the top off, my fear is that just dropping it down in there somehow jammed the latch mechanism, I think I want two people so that latch can be gently guided into position to prevent what has occurred before.

Has anybody else had a problem jamming the latches? Any tricks to getting the latches down without jamming them? Do you drop the rear in before the front or vice versa? Or do you drop one side in first, or maybe try to drop all four points in at the same time? If you try to do that you almost need a lift, or be 6'8" tall. I was lucky being able to repair mine, but with the part being "unavailable" one should be cautious. BTW, Dodge does have the entire hard top assembly available, but an expensive option for a broken latch.

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Never used a winch and I've had hard top last 15 years. I loosen the locks, sit on driver seat, grab top from both sides and stand up. Works well fo a 6 foot guy."
You get out of the car and stand up holding the top over your head? I have a hard enough time getting out of the car with both hands free.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am a fraction less than 5`10" and I always did my RT/10 tops by myself, just reaching out and picking it off. I made a wall rack to store it on.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Never used a winch and I've had hard top last 15 years. I loosen the locks, sit on driver seat, grab top from both sides and stand up. Works well fo a 6 foot guy."
You get out of the car and stand up holding the top over your head? I have a hard enough time getting out of the car with both hands free.

Yes. Maybe I have long arms;-)