Hardtop squeaks

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure how to adjust them... :( Mine tends to sort-of try to unlatch itself on the front right side. I was racing a BMW one night and right around 130MPH, I heard... WHOOOOOOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So after applying the brakes with force, I pulled over and re-spun the right side for a secure latch (since it found a way to totally unlatch itself), but I notice it always trys to work it's way off when driving normal too. Now, I check it all the friggin time.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if I find out any helpful info, I'll post it, lol.

One thing... tighten the rear bolts really tight. Maybe check to see if you can slide any rubber bushings on the screws or something.... like find a rubber hose and cut some small "donut like" pieces off that will fit around the screws, to kinda "buffer" it from rubbing directly.

rraulston

Viper Owner
Reaction score
these cars flex so much there isnt much you can do. I have experienced all the above.....I have even stripped out the grommit in the sportbar/drivers side.........ime thinking about developing a spring type latch to anchor it down under pressure. Hard to explain. But it might be a winter project......

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have been playing with my top since the car was new and I can honestly tell you that there is nothing you can do. If you adjust the clamps, they will just get loose again.

Just do what I do, take the top off.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My hardtop squeaked a lot and it was mostly coming from the sportsbar area...I adjusted the latches in the back of the hard top so it fit more snugly and the noise went away. Over time, the more the I removed/installed the top the looser the latches became. These tops are finicky to say the least. I've left the top off my car for a year now, I don't even bother putting it on as I don't want to hear the squeaking.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nah...that'd be taking the easy way out. Except for track days I have no use for the hard top.