Hardware for racing harness

jboegn1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am trying to install my 5 point racing harness into my 05 SRT 10. Does anyone know the bolt size for the factory pre-drilled holes. I tried various sizes both metric and english. The closest I found was 1/2x13x1" but the thread appears to be too course. Any help would be appreciated. I am tired of running to the hardware store to buy variouse size bolts.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stop! Hardware stores don't sell automotive grade hardware. The threaded hole is a standard size and there is specific hardware made for that purpose. Your local speed shop (or online parts dealers here like "partsrack") can get you exactly what you need.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stop! Hardware stores don't sell automotive grade hardware. The threaded hole is a standard size and there is specific hardware made for that purpose. Your local speed shop (or online parts dealers here like "partsrack") can get you exactly what you need.

The best and proper way to do it would be to contact the belt manufacturer. That's probably where Jon gets them. Ace Hardware has grade 8 and higher. I would doubt the anchors needed are even grade 5. I went thru this a few weeks ago and I believe it's a 7/16 bolt but forgot the thread. Ace didn't have them so I made the existing bolts work by backing them out about 1/2". They were grade 5 and were plenty long enough (Autoform Rollbar). I'll change them out in the future if I ever get the chance to track the car.

Snake Oyl sells and deals with belts and harnesses. I'd also ask them.

OP
OP
J

jboegn1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I was planning to use grade 8 or better bolts which I think should be strong enough. I have not found any specific hardware for racing harnesses on line or local speed shops. I may have to start calling around if no one knows on this forum.

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What kind of belts did you buy. Are they new or a used set? New should have come with the right hardware to mount them in your car.
As said above call Jon B. or Curt Tucker at Team Tech. They know your car best. The right hardware can be found thru one of the larger performance stores online. But better to support the ones that are here to support you.

OP
OP
J

jboegn1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like I finally found the correct size. After removing the driver's seat I found a bolt installed by the factory for the lap portion of the belt. It was a 1x7/16x20 grade 8 bolt. I did not find a hole for the 5th belt. I still need to resolve that portion of the installation.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like I finally found the correct size. After removing the driver's seat I found a bolt installed by the factory for the lap portion of the belt. It was a 1x7/16x20 grade 8 bolt. I did not find a hole for the 5th belt. I still need to resolve that portion of the installation.

You'll have to drill your hole for the 5th and 6th strap if you have 6. What did you use for the shoulder straps? A 7/16 wouldn't work on mine so I had to gring down the bolt to about 3/8". I'm sure they make a proper clip that the bolt holds in place but I haven't bothered to find out. Car's sat for a month with dwindling interest.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Well, I was planning to use grade 8 or better bolts which I think should be strong enough. I have not found any specific hardware for racing harnesses on line or local speed shops. I may have to start calling around if no one knows on this forum.

The calling should have happened BEFORE now!

All SRT10 Vipers are factory-built to accept SIX point harnesses. So you WONT find that front-center hole you seek, as was used in 92-02. SCCA obsoleted 5 points for racing in 2003, effective in 2/05. Dodge was clued-in and planned ahead due to the Comp Coupe.

Do you have snap-in anchors? Bolt-in flat anchors? Do you have an in-date harness?

If you dont know harnesses, especially Viper Harnesses, know your supplier.

If you think the bolts dont matter, or that simply drilling a hole in the floor pan will save your life, or maybe you are doing a car-show-photo-op harness, I guess it does not matter. Velcro would work for that...

If you plan to campaign the car in track events, there is a floor-mount crossbar than can make the (less safe) 5pt work for some sanctioning bodies.....

Last edited:

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine is a 6 point so I didn't have an issue. My shoulder belts are snap in. Is there a special clip. I've got Team Tech and Snake Oyl harnesses. Haven't decided which one goes where yet. I thought I'd have a passenger harness for an instructor.

All SRT10 Vipers are factory-built to accept SIX point harnesses. So you WONT find that front-center hole you seek, as was used in 92-02. SCCA obsoleted 5 points for racing in 2003, effective in 2/05. Dodge was clued-in and planned ahead due to the Comp Coupe.

Do you have snap-in anchors? Bolt-in flat anchors? An in-date harness?

If you dont know harnesses, especially Viper Harnesses, know your supplier.

If you think the bolts dont matter, or that simply drilling a hole in the floor pan will save your life, and you are doing a car-show-photo-op harness, I guess it does not matter. Velcro would work for that...

If you plan to campaign the car in track events, there is a floor-mount crossbar than can make the (less safe) 5pt work for some sanctioning bodies.....

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Mine is a 6 point so I didn't have an issue. My shoulder belts are snap in. Is there a special clip. I've got Team Tech and Snake Oyl harnesses. Haven't decided which one goes where yet. I thought I'd have a passenger harness for an instructor.

Bless you for thinking of your instructor!

The Team-Tech harness, assming it is the padded "Ram-Pac" version, is far-superior to the other brand. The padded harness provides some serious soft-tissue protection that the plain harness does not. And the TT is renewable when it goes out of date.....return for updates at 40% off new.
Im off to VIR in just a few minutes, but can get proper bolts going Tuesday if you need them.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
40% off for a one year out of date. Do they do more than change the patch I hope???? I do have the Ram Pac and I guess that will have to do for now.

Bless you for thinking of your instructor!

The Team-Tech harness, assming it is the padded "Ram-Pac" version, is far-superior to the other brand. The padded harness provides some serious soft-tissue protection that the plain harness does not. And the TT is renewable when it goes out of date.....return for updates at 40% off new.
Im off to VIR in just a few minutes, but can get proper bolts going Tuesday if you need them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960