Has anyone produced an alternative to the soft top?

DSI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recall some time ago someone on the board was in the process of creating a soft top that can be installed quickly and may be stored without using the entire trunk?

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He sold his car and is working on other things. You would have to go to the A l l e y to read up on them.

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry about this question being a little off topic but, since we are asking where people are. lol... Whatever happen to Sam? The guy with the yellow GTS that was all decked out.

Austin

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1Tony1 was also looking into a quick and lightweight top for the RT. It was on his honey-do list, so it would not surprise me if he creates something.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Curious perhaps its something that I should take a stab at.

What is it you guys want? A hard top that folds in the trunk?

Would it be ok if it consisted of more than 1 piece?

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A soft top, that will get you out of a down pour, good for 60 mph or so, that takes up virtually no space in the trunk...or maybe fits behind the passenger seat...

Like the Jeeps bikini top, or the old flipped Porsche top...Think small, low speeds, can leak a bit, and simple to get on...but still has to look cool...

Simply for the when you occasionally get caught in the rain...

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Curious perhaps its something that I should take a stab at.

What is it you guys want? A hard top that folds in the trunk?

Would it be ok if it consisted of more than 1 piece?

Something a significant other could assemble and put on the car if I were ever to let her drive it. :D

GCHDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am working on an emergency top, but it is more difficult than it sounds. The Liability if it blows off "blows". It is going to have to be light, strong, can with-stand hwy speeds, and store without using the whole trunk. So far I have just fixed on my old Gen I soft-top but been unable to come up with what everyone is looking for. What is an approximate price range would be acceptable?
Chad :cool:
Snake Hydes

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Max was trying to come up with something. I thought I remembered him giving a proto to someone.

Just my opinion.... I don't think anyone will come up with a top that can be used at highway speed. that is any better than the stock top.
It would be nice, but I'll believe it when I see it.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chad,
$500 or less sounds good.. again a jeep bikini top is what i am looking for.
those stupid things are just material.. and they dont blow off too often i dont think...

keep up the good work

Austin,
and Sam is doing just fine..his car is still awesome, I talk with him now and again.
Just busy working like the rest of us...

RT/ED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting side note...we were caught in a downpour yesterday for about 6 miles returning from an airshow. We were travelling at 70 mph and surprisingly, we barely had any water enter the cockpit! 95 RT/10 with fasrack side windows and the rear window removed - no top. Who would have guessed?? :usa:

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been there done that no probs till you have to stop in traffic! I was caught in a flash thunderstorm and got a great washing, had to hide out under a dry cleaners awning.

McGuireV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Max was trying to come up with something. I thought I remembered him giving a proto to someone.

Just my opinion.... I don't think anyone will come up with a top that can be used at highway speed. that is any better than the stock top.
It would be nice, but I'll believe it when I see it.

The thing Max was working on sounded nice -- a collapsible aluminum frame.

I was watching a movie the other day and noticed a guy removing the top from his Ferrari one-handed... I assume it was carbon fiber, but either way, you certainly aren't going to do that with the Viper toupee. (Ok, some of you single guys might have wrists that strong, but I don't want to think about that too closely.)

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about something that stores rolled up in the sport bar, something like a window shade? One would pull it forward and latch it into the existing latch receptacles and fold the side curtains down over the doors. Then run like mad to the trunk and get a tarp, cover the car and wait until the rain stops. Well, an idea anyway!!

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have some drawings I did a several weeks ago... I have an upholstery shop locally who is going to make the prototype.......

My drawings are of an emergency top that can potentiall replace the top, rear windows and side windows (for a Gen I).......

We have a lot of afternoon "showers" but the rest of the day is great..... so I wanted something that I could keep in the trunk without having to lug around the windows.

With this top I can throw it on in an emergency... and drive without any windows or top on days that are otherwise nice.

It will probably only be good up to about 65 MPH..... and I am still working on the cost.

Prototype should be ready in about a month.

Lance

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been on vacation but while I was gone I recieved a Vipermania top to R & D with. Doing this for my wifes car so it will be made where she can easily handle it by herself, fit in the trunk and should be able to handle some fairly high speeds. Today, I eye balled some of the materials I will be using. good luck...to me !!

1Tony1 was also looking into a quick and lightweight top for the RT. It was on his honey-do list, so it would not surprise me if he creates something.

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doing this for my wifes car so it will be made where she can easily handle it by herself, fit in the trunk and should be able to handle some fairly high speeds.

The factory soft top fits in the trunk...We need one that fits in your wife's purse...Or behind the passenger seat, or under the passenger seat...or in my pocket...anywhere but the trunk...

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about something that stores rolled up in the sport bar, something like a window shade?
One would pull it forward and latch it into the existing latch receptacles and fold the side curtains down over the doors.
Well, an idea anyway!!

an awesome idea.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony, good to see ya. How's that RT doing. If you get something figured out I may be your 1st customer. I was in the Kroger the other day and 5 minutes later I hear the guy on the pa say "whoever owns the dodge viper, it is raining and your top is off." Tis true. Nothing like one of those thunderboomers that just pops up out of nowhere.

Good luck.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree and would buy one. I looked at modding the soft top and hard top. What I needed is easier to accomplish with the hard top.

The factory soft top fits in the trunk...We need one that fits in your wife's purse...Or behind the passenger seat, or under the passenger seat...or in my pocket...anywhere but the trunk...