Have I done a terrible thing...?...tow hitch...

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've just finished putting a tow bar hitch on my Beloved '97 GTS; have I done a terrible thing...? I am expecting to get some hassle for putting a tow hitch on a Viper!!? It mounts to both upper and lower rear frame rails; upper I used the OE coach-bolts on the frame rail ends (bumper support mount) (grade 8 bolts) and lower I drilled the frame and put in tube spacers, through the OE reinforced latch down points

352tow_bar.jpg

352tow_barx.jpg

352reartowhitch.jpg

352rearhitch.jpg

But, when going to the track I need to take track tires and tools to fettle with the car, driving up with tools and a jack stuffed in the passengers footwell, and a wheel/tire on the passengers seat, one in the trunk, helmet etc then no where to store my kit at the track / event is not fun, taking a trailer is going to be the way to go! First, I removed my rear exit exhaust, and welded up brackets and sections to fit up some re-packable mufflers, with side exit; I just love the side exit pipes now...woo-hoo! I haven't cut and fitted the rocker sill/panels yet for the side exit! The hitch is removable, so when not in use it hardly shows.

352rearnohitch.jpg

352rearhitchoff.jpg

It's all made out of heavy gauge steel for strength, but it does add 40 lbs in weight; not good for the track:

352rearweigh-med.jpg

However, it also doubles up for track use, I've made a removable parachute bracket for it too, as when I do my 200 mph runs I'm cracking the front rotors under braking, despite cooling etc, the OE front brakes aren't really up for 200 mph stops! (yikes!) It's going to be far cheaper to re-pack a parachute than replace discs each time, and a good safety measure to have it on there! The answer would be to go for bigger brakes, but I can't afford to do this, and the 18" wheels I'd need to run bigger brakes too!

352rearshootmount.jpg

I'm already planning/starting my next project, which is making a cool Viper trailer...! Stay tuned! :cool:

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At least you live in another country...that is downright embarrassing.

OP
OP
N

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, it's a hitch!!...but, hey...be easy on me...give me a little credit for engineering (it's removable!) and and a lone-viper-female going to the track with tires and tools to show the *** Crap what it's all about over here in the UK!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, it's a hitch!!...but, hey...be easy on me...give me a little credit for engineering (it's removable!) and and a lone-viper-female going to the track with tires and tools to show the *** Crap what it's all about over here in the UK!

That's what I figured it was for. Still, it is sacrilegious. I would almost be willing to fly to UK whenever you needed me to, just to haul your spare wheels if you would remove that hitch.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<< But, when going to the track I need to take track tires and tools to fettle with the car, driving up with tools and a jack stuffed in the passengers footwell, and a wheel/tire on the passengers seat, one in the trunk, helmet etc then no where to store my kit at the track / event is not fun, taking a trailer is going to be the way to go! >>

very understandable.

<< ..and and a lone-viper-female going to the track with tires and tools >>

am i to understand this right? female, goes to the track with tires and tools, and you did this all yourself?

You must be registered for see images

how do you feel about long distance realtionships? :D

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Awesome! I've wanted to do this for some time, and never got around to designing the hitch frame. I know of a number of others that would also love to do this, as we see no reason to waste $5-$15k on a trailer for the car that we don't want nor want to find a place to store, when all I need is a trailer large enough for the track tires, tools, and jack. I wanted to do one through the lower cut-outs (on some Vipers they are cut out, on other then aren't) that could be attached/detatched with just a couple of lynch-pins, so there would be no reason to leave it on any longer than necessary.

I'd laugh at anyone that would criticize you, as most are posers who have never had their car on the track, anyway. :cool:

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very cool, Nadine! A bit more heavy duty than mine, but to tow only 400 lbs it's enough.

186bumper-med.JPG

186Hitchinout-med.JPG

The hitch pin is accessible through the trunk floor. The tongue comes out through a fake slot, so it hides away well.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've just finished putting a tow bar hitch on my Beloved '97 GTS; have I done a terrible thing...? I am expecting to get some hassle for putting a tow hitch on a Viper!!?

Don't worry Nadine, you are in very good company. Here's a trailer idea for you as well. I believe there were only 2 of these ever made.

Steve

813IMG_0611-med.JPG

813IMG_0612-med.JPG

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nadine.

Congratulations. You are in great company. Fr. Viper...Roy Sojberg the founding Father of Viperhood, also had a hitch installed on his RT/10 for hauling stuff to the track. He had a trailer made out of a front/rear Viper facia which looked really trick.

Now your Viper really Hauls...Asp and support.

You are to be congratulated.
Hope to see you in Vegas for VOI.9
Any new tatoos?

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tom wrote:
Very cool, Nadine! A bit more heavy duty than mine, but to tow only 400 lbs it's enough.
186bumper-med.JPG

The hitch pin is accessible through the trunk floor. The tongue comes out through a fake slot, so it hides away well.
Tom, your setup looks exactly like what I wanted to do. However, I'm lacking a frame of reference of what the right half of the upper picture is of (right half of the picture pair I quote above)? Is it a downward angle on the rear of the car w/o the bumper & rear facia?

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was always wondering how to do this job.
Very good idea !!

I think I will add this to my winter projects.

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anything that saves me having a jerry can on my lap, a wheel between my legs and a trolley jack under my feet when having a pssenger ride sounds good to me :2tu:

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nadine,

I would bet that there are literally dozens of people "in the Closet" yet who would want a trailer hitch for their cars.

Most haven't mentioned it for fear of getting "raked over the coals" for even mentioning it. I asked about it several months ago as I saw a picture of the Gen 3 One lap of America car. It had a hitch to pull a small tire trailer from event to event. I caught alot of flak for it too.

I tried getting some pics of the hitch or even speaking to one of the SRT guys who designed it from Viper Central, and guess what??? No one wants to admit being a part of it. One excuse after another.

Unfortunately for me, I cannot afford a trailer to haul my car and stuff to a track event. I have to drive my car and have a friend drive my quad cab with the tires, jack, tools etc. A hitch would serve a good purpose for that task. I do not advocate throwing the camper on the back and taking a trip any more than I would put the utility trailer on the back to run and get a load of mulch for around the trees.

Getting back to your Project, I think you did an outstanding job in both design and fabrication of the hitch. It looks strong but not too obtrusive, plus its hidden from view when not needed.

Congratulations on coming out of the closet on this. Just remember that you have many "adoring" fans out there.

OP
OP
N

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, here's the side exit mufflers I fitted up, I love driving with side exits; they are repackable (have to pass some noise tests at the tracks) I've burnt out the previous cat-back ones long ago! Not cut and fitted up the rockers yet, and need to shorten the side exits a couple of inches, but here thee go:

352sidepipe.jpg

Thanks for all the comments, good and bad (!) I know it is a terrible thing to have a hitch on a Viper, I think it looks ugly too, but...remember it is removable! It will never be on, when I'm not needing to take tires and kit to the track / competing!

352towhitchout.jpg

The RT10 trailer is cool...I have a roof section from a GTS, and I'm going to make a trailer that will be a complete rear half of a GTS, it will look just like a Viper...cut off at the windshield (!) but all fitted out inside to carry tires and support tools, gas cans etc. I would not be towing some non Viper trailer and be an embarrassment! I think done right, it's going to look very cool; a car and a half! Will certainly be a sight to see...

352oldreartips.jpg

OP
OP
N

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom, thanks for your pics I was interested to see how you did it, looks good.

Yeah, it's a brave thing hitching a Viper, one it takes guts to do, and two some balls to post it here (!)!

I'm not a trailer queen! I don't want to rely on others taking things to the track for me. I Love driving Viper...driving to the track, competing, and driving home...in a Viper, it does it all!

Neil, I wouldn't want to spoil the involvement factor for you, should I kit my Viper trailer out with a passenger seat for you?

KC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm thinking If I put a hitch on mine, pull a small trailor around for a day my CPA will get off my back about writing my viper off on my taxes as a company car.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had a hitch on a Vette once.... towing a bad ass jet ski with it. Got lots of young redneck chicks ( Orlando, Fl) with that set up. Ahhhhh, those where the days.

" Do you want to go jet skiing this weekend on the Butler Chain?"

And down they went. :2tu:

Jet ski. Best pick up tool ever!

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Randy, right side picture is the inside of the rear fascia. The flat ends attach to the ends of the frame rail. (Think of folding the piece of paper that has these two pictures in the middle, and that's about how they match up.) On the right, the rectangular piece in the middle is the receiver and is just under the bottom of the trunk floor when attached. A hitch pin drops vertically through the trunk floor into this.

I bought a mail order trailer and welded railings on three sides, after positioning the tires to see how I wanted to hold them down. I also welded a few chain links to the floor to attach the jack and bolted a toolbox to the floor. All the equipment has it's place, so it comes off and goes on quickly.

Buy a spare tire. Cruising for an hour at 80 is fun unless the tire pops with a few miles left to go, like what happened to me. Find a place to keep jack stands. If you work under the car at the event you want one, but you'll also need something to hold up the tongue of the trailer.

Vipers have yellow turn signals. Trailers don't, so you'll need to purchase the special electrical box that converts the signal. I ran the connector from the right side of the trunk through the ~4" rubber donut in the trunk floor and out the right side bumper slot. When not being used, it all gets stuffed behind the inner trunk wall.

Four tires, tool box and aluminum jack plus trailer are about 400 lbs. You won't notice this weight while driving.

Nadine, it's nice to have a Viper, but you'll get nothing but compliments on also being clever when your trailer is finished.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang