Having Hard Time Selling

viperdoctor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Price may be an issue...I have read messages on this board of people buying the higher MSRP GTS for $69K new. Why would they want to spend another $1K for a used car that lists for less?

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree the issue is price. It is hard to recoup the added expenses ( lux tax, gas guzzler, etc) when buying new from a dealer who goes MSRP or higher. Too many good dealers willing to sell below MSRP for a buyer to choose form. Bottom line is buy smart to begin with so you dont get so upside down you can't sell at a competetive price when the time comes.

Greg
96 RT (K&N carbon fiber airbox, smooth tubes, Borla 3" exhaust, revalved Konis, Eibach springs, adj endlinks, anti-toe brackets)
00 GTS (K&N's)
01 SVT COBRA
03 SRT-10 ( not soon enough )

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Price, Price, Price!

There are new '01's selling for less...AND, a new car ALWAYS offers a much lower finance rate.. I believe 5.9% is the going rate.

You have to be a bit more realistic with the price. We own beautiful, sweet, exotic cars, and if you look at the average Viper owner, they are incredibly intelligent, business savvy individuals. They know the market well, and when you're at that level in price, there is a distinct "value added" of buying new. Anyway you look at it, your car is "pre-owned" and has to be priced as such.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Joe is absolutely right, the issue is price, too high for right now. Now, my advice would be to wait, we are still feeling the worst effects of what I think is a temporary recession, exacerbated by the events of 9/11. Iv'e given this a lot of thought and I spend my entire business life involved with situations that would give one an early warning sense of this stuff. No one should sell right now, the GTS guys should make out real well if they hold on till there are no more GTS'S, the RT10 guys should wait until all the guy's who post on this site that they hate the new style 2003 wake up one day and realize there are no more new rt10s. We will, if not already, see a lot of folks selling because they are in the market for 2003. Now is not the time to sell to maximize value. In fact in my opinion, you should hold if you own GEN II, because as an o;d corvette guy, the analogy is... YOU"VE GOT 1967 STINGRAYS in your garage. Nothing, from a historical standpoint has ever been clearer to me. Footnote.. thank you Bill Pemberton Dec. 1999 for helping me decide GTS over RT10. No more GTS, you had it figured then, anybody that does'nt consult this guy on a buy/sell decision is missing the boat!

Vypr GT2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to agree, unfortunately, asking price is too high. I sold my sapphire with stripes ACR (sticker about $13,000 higher than the RT mentioned above) for $75,000 a few months ago (PRIOR to 9/11)- I wanted to move it quickly, and probably could have/should have held out for a little more. Incredibly little interest from dealers and brokers for the car (and it was brand-new with less than 100 miles!!). Try around $64,900...

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Based on my experience with Vette's, I believe the price of used Vipers will go up AFTER the new model comes out (and has been out a few months or a year). In late '95 / early '96, I had to give away my '94 Vette to sell it. Two years later, after the release of the new car, the Vette (with more miles) would have sold for the same price (I watched the market on them).
The ad on our '94 RT/10 runs out Saturday. Everybody wants to steal it. I'm keeping it for now. Even though the car is old ('94) and used (13,000 miles) it still kicks a$$!
smile.gif

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Sean Roe on 12-13-2001 at 06:59 PM</font>

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It has nothing to do w/ the color in my view. It's 100% price. I've found that when selling your Viper, even though you have a few mods, you won't get hardly anything for them. I imagine that you're asking 70K because of the 3K exhaust, K&N, etc...? Lower the cost & it'll sell!
frown.gif
frown.gif

grayman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree 100%. Lower your price to $65000 and hold firm. You will have more luck. I just picked up a 2000 GTS (inservice in mid 2001), less than 1000 miles, exhaust, intake and $8000 19" HRE wheels/tires for $63K. You may end up holding for a long (near infinite) time if you are firm at $70k.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my 01 gts new for 69.Could have bought a new 01 rt for 65.The mods aren't worth anything,Just a nice touch.Its a 1 year old rt with nothing special about it.I think you could get 60 for it.Maybe 61 if you get lucky. Bruce

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTS Bruce:
I bought my 01 gts new for 69.Could have bought a new 01 rt for 65.The mods aren't worth anything,Just a nice touch.Its a 1 year old rt with nothing special about it.I think you could get 60 for it.Maybe 61 if you get lucky. Bruce

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's kind of what I was thinking too. Most dealers will tell you that they can't give you more than $59,000. They might offer to sell it on consignment as a secondary means of helping you. I'm thinkin $61,000 if your lucky.

Curious as to why your giving her up though? Were you experiencing any problems?