Header Wrap For 02 ACR or for any Viper

TorontoACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As everyone knows the heat the engines generate are enormous. I have an 02 ACR with Mopar headers on my car with no heat shield. The header heat is melting the black plastic and some plug wires on the passenger side. I am thinking of putting some header wrap to reduce engine compartment heat. Has anyone ever done this and does anyone recommend doing it.

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My new car has header "socks" on them in addition to the ceramic coating to keep heat from the blower down. Seems to work pretty well; I don't have any melted pieces yet.

-FROG- on here has header wrap (looks like the DEI stuff). dave6666 also built a custom heat shield for his car. I've had good experiences with the DEI stuff on my old car; I wrapped the entire exhaust sidepipe in it and it cooled temps down enough so that I could rest my hand on the bare (wrapped) pipe with it running.

james11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just put the heat shields back on. My 02 doesn't mely anything.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yup, put the OEM shields back on or bribe dave with some beer to get him to make you a set

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take a lot more than beer to get my drill and saw back out...

:love: - - -> :2tu: - - -> :omg: - - -> :nono: - - -> :rolaugh:

On topic, I would seriously address your problem before you fry something important or catch your car on fire.

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would recommend ceramicoat before the fiberglass wraps
the wrap will eventually trap moisture on the surface of the steel and corrode and rust the metal
the coating looks 100Xs better as well

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been there. Ceramic on my bellagers didn't do the trick enough for me...so on went the header wrap in January this year. No issues thus far (6k miles)..black wrap looks bad a$$ and the temps are great now. Steams a bit after washing...but duhhh. I'd shoot some pics but just too lazy at this point in the game.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...gotta have some pictures....please! :eater:

Been there. Ceramic on my bellagers didn't do the trick enough for me...so on went the header wrap in January this year. No issues thus far (6k miles)..black wrap looks bad a$$ and the temps are great now. Steams a bit after washing...but duhhh. I'd shoot some pics but just too lazy at this point in the game.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pics attached. Looks better in person but you get the idea. Really little heat issue at this point. I probably would have used my stock heat shield but I tore the @#$$# out of them getting them off. Lesson learned on that one.

Attachments

• Pass1.JPG
    Pass1.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Driver2.jpg
    Driver2.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 77
  • driver 8.jpg
    driver 8.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 67
OP
OP
T

TorontoACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures of the header wrap. I keep having my wires touch the headers and then have to spend more money for another wire. I unfortunately cant put the original heat shield back on due to the fact I have the Mopar headers and exhaust which i like due to the nice burbling thunder sound it makes when slowing down. But the heat is quite a bit. Can I ask how you put the wrap on so well as it looks to be a good job. How long did it take to put them on and again is there anyone out there that has had a very bad experience with the header wrap. How much less is the heat

Pics attached. Looks better in person but you get the idea. Really little heat issue at this point. I probably would have used my stock heat shield but I tore the @#$$# out of them getting them off. Lesson learned on that one.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the shields will fit over the headers, just gotta form it by hand a little.

and that black wrap DOES look good. id just be afraid of trapping moisture and ending up with bigger problems

OP
OP
T

TorontoACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank for the scoop. So I dont need to worry about having Mopar headers. The stock shields will still fit. I actually like the header wrap but I assume it wont be necessary with the heat shields

the shields will fit over the headers, just gotta form it by hand a little.

and that black wrap DOES look good. id just be afraid of trapping moisture and ending up with bigger problems

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We sell some really nice Inconel header covers. These in conjunction with some spark plug wire boots will keep the heat in the exhaust and out of the engine compartment.

Go to the Viper section on our website DC Performance: Proven Performance.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I fit the stock shields over my Belanger headers. Takes some work to form them to the Belangers but doable. Wear protective gloves as the shields will cut through your fingers easily. Leave some room between the shield and primary tubes so that the ceramic coating doesn't chip off the headers. It was either the stock shields or Dave6666's custom shields but the amount of beer required for payment was more expensive than the Iconel shields. :D. So I decided to use my stockers.

OP
OP
T

TorontoACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have any pictures of your engine compartment that i can see

I fit the stock shields over my Belanger headers. Takes some work to form them to the Belangers but doable. Wear protective gloves as the shields will cut through your fingers easily. Leave some room between the shield and primary tubes so that the ceramic coating doesn't chip off the headers. It was either the stock shields or Dave6666's custom shields but the amount of beer required for payment was more expensive than the Iconel shields. :D. So I decided to use my stockers.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can imagine the secret to doing the wrap and having it look good is doing it with the header off of the car and on the workbench. Might take an extra step or two doing a dry install run before you wrap them, but I can't figure doing it any other way and having it turn out that good.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Done with headers off...clamped on the workbench vice. Takes a lot more wrapping that you think so plan accordingly if you go that route.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have any pictures of your engine compartment that i can see

I'll post them up this evening. I just put the shields back on after my radiator cap went bad and coolant got all over the passenger side engine (and headers). Until now, I've been shieldless for 3 years without issue.