Headers heat shields...Keep on, off, or...

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone keeping shields off ? Thinking of JET HOT for the headers, I simply hate the look of the heat shields and looking for other solutions...Any IDEAS.
Thanks

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
D.C performance makes a set of GREAT aftermarket heat shields for gen 1,2,3, I bought a set for mine and STILL got them extreme jet hot coated.

The heat shields look good and completly cover the headers which is good for me since I got mine extreme coated (which is black in coloring) but it gives alot better heat protection.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW people say to get extreme coated for vipers since they are V10 even tho it may not be too attractive, besides the extreme is designed for S/C apps which I see in your sig that you have so I would defnitly get extreme.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the heat shields off.

You have to wrap exposed wiring and hoses with heat reflective tape, and wrap some parts of the headers with header wrap, otherwise the heat will melt wiring and hoses that are close to the bare headers.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I would suggest coating your headers before you install them inside and out and leaving the heat shield on or buying the ATP racers set, available from DC Performance, West Coast Viper, etc. There are many good coating out there today. I chose "Afterburn" from Embee Coatings. Jet Hot is another popular coating.

If you run without heat shields, you'll likely boil fluids, prematurely wear out other plastic parts, melt wires, etc.

I'm running coated and heat shields and stil need to change my clutch and brake fluids more often than stock.

Good luck.

ARMORGOD

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You have to wrap exposed wiring and hoses with heat reflective tape, and wrap some parts of the headers with header wrap, otherwise the heat will melt wiring and hoses that are close to the bare headers.

Ditto to what Kai said. I don't have any heat shields on my headers and the black flexi-tubing around one of the lines has melted away on about a 10" long section. That line is about 3 inches away from the headers, too (but the heat still cooked the tubing).

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Ditto to what Kai said. I don't have any heat shields on my headers and the black flexi-tubing around one of the lines has melted away on about a 10" long section. That line is about 3 inches away from the headers, too (but the heat still cooked the tubing).

I guess I just don’t get it. Can someone tell me why folks are installing parts that screw up other parts.

OP
OP
D

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
29OUTLAW :I guess I just don’t get it. Can someone tell me why folks are installing parts that screw up other parts.

Drive your viper for about an hour, and you will see how hot it gets under the hood, with the shields still on. The solutions offered here are good for everyone.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
29OUTLAW :I guess I just don’t get it. Can someone tell me why folks are installing parts that screw up other parts.

Drive your viper for about an hour, and you will see how hot it gets under the hood, with the shields still on. The solutions offered here are good for everyone.

My point is that factory engineering is done so for a reason. Folks mess around with factory engineering and then wonder why stuff fails.

OP
OP
D

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Factory engineering is also restricted by over all cost and emission rules. The fact is Vipers run very hot, a simple exhaust replacement can reduce the side sills and interior heat, which is a step in the right direction, a simple air filter upgrade{but not cheap} can add up to 10 hp... After market engineering, done specifically for the Vipers, with no cost restrictions makes a good car even better.. :2tu: