Headroom

Bildad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to look at a 2014 GTS this weekend and though I'm only 6'0 my hair was almost brushing the roof. I'm tall above the waist so not an uncommon problem for me. I had the seat lowered all the way down and in my driving position. I took my helmet in and with it on I had to have my head cocked to the side as it was hitting the roof. I had the same problem when I tried an Audi R8 and the new Jaguar F Type Coupe. Oddly I fit fine in the Posche and my SL63 which are low cars. Can wear a helmet fine in either. I read the 2013 had spacers in the seats that could be removed but the 2014 GTS already has them removed? Is there any way to get another 2 inches or so of headroom or will I simply have to write the Viper off? Low profile helmet?

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is an unfortunate thing. Dan has the same issue... The older vipers had a lowering kit, but there doesn't seem to be a kit in the works for the 5.

If the vert comes out, then you'd have all the headroom in the world :)

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you try changing the angle of the recline of the seat back, move the pedals a bit and adjust the steering wheel?

OP
OP
B

Bildad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn't see an TA's around, but lots of GTSs. Some dealers have 6 of them. The one I was at had 2.

Yes, I moved the seat as far forward as I could comfortably go to operate the pedals and reclined it, there isn't much room for that. I didn't move the pedals though. Those move? The salesguy didn't say anything to that effect. With it fully upright even without a helmet was a no go.

Bummer about no lowering kit.

Rated R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same problem and posted a thread about it as well. If the car fit me I'd have one right now. Had a Challenger SRT8 and have a Ram 1500 and a Durango R/T now so I'm a bit of a Mopar fan. It really is unfortunate that they designed the car with such small interior specs. If the shoes don't fit then you don't buy 'em...

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes. The pedals move quite a bit. There is a switch that you push one way or the other to move them up or down. Give it a try.

Didn't see an TA's around, but lots of GTSs. Some dealers have 6 of them. The one I was at had 2.

Yes, I moved the seat as far forward as I could comfortably go to operate the pedals and reclined it, there isn't much room for that. I didn't move the pedals though. Those move? The salesguy didn't say anything to that effect. With it fully upright even without a helmet was a no go.

Bummer about no lowering kit.

Viper808

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Im 6'4" and I am fine...not saying it would be with a helmet though...i haven't tried yet...I remember having problems with my 96 GTS
with a helmet where I was touching the roof firmly..

Anyway..I dont think its so much just peoples height as it is how thick their asses are.. that accounts for a potential good for 2" or 3"
or more in addition to their height. Im skinny and have a flat ass so that why it works for me. LOL :lmao:

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL so if you're tall AND have a big butt, you need to wait for the Convertible, let's fax that in to SRT ASAP :)

Or how about a Viper-specific ass flattening excercise regimen :)

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm 6'1 and have same problems in some cars. If you get a Srt I got the ta the seat goes lower than power seat in the gts.

Wow, really? That's intersting. I'm 6'4" 195 fit lbs and sat in 2 GTSs and it's too tight, my head just touched the liner and the helmet was a laughable attempt. I wonder if I can find a local TA to try and see.

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There has to be a way to lower the seats. I fit just OK but could never with a helmet. Maybe someone who is crafty could modify the seat rails or figure out some home kit modification to lower the seat another inch or so.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or come up with a headliner that is thinner, either way ... I've wondered if a local upholstery place could redo the headliner to gain some space, just a big gamble for me, and my fat head. Frankly that's why I have a ton of room in a gen 3/4 vert, there is no liner, so you get max headroom. (pun for 80s people)

Reaction score
The chosen seat heights are for the airbag regulations I believe. The 13' had the limiters because of that very reason, but in 14' they got approval for the reduced height. To lower it anymore may be a further safety concern and need to be re approved.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is frustrating. I'd have bought two occasions at this point if I didn't have this problem. And when you look at the car it seems like it shouldn't be a problem, I was really surprised when I got in and messed with it, bummer for me.

mblgjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm 6' even; 29" inseam; 285#. I am anything but "small". I fit in the car nicely. Definitely snug and I will definitely be motivated to drop some weight off just so I can enjoy the car more. Not worried about living longer; but not being able to properly enjoy the GenV is a major concern; LOL.

That said, I found the base SRT manual seat to be very uncomfortable. I couldn't get the rake angle and fore/aft in a proper location; whereas the GTS power setup I had no problem wiggling it into a nice spot.

Headroom isn't an issue for me. A helmet might touch, but shouldn't be an issue.

I feel like a 1/4" - 1/2" less "lip" where the headliner joins @ top of windshield would have helped outward visibility. I'm always leaning to look under that ledge.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I test drove the Gen 5 twice. I am 6'1" and had the exact same problem. I measured and verified I had 2" less headroom than my GEN2 GTS. I don't know how it compares to a GEN3/4 but it's definitely, without a doubt, less headroom than a GEN2 and 2" less upper windshield visibility. It's doesn't matter what position the seat is in, you have less headroom in the GEN5, which baffles my mind. I don't think I could wear a helmet in it, maybe the TA, but not the GTS. Also, my 5'6" wife rode with me on my second test drive and had back and shoulder aches after 15 minutes and she's only 38 and doesn't have back problems. I also found the seats to be rock hard compared to my GTS and it had the premium Laguna package. I was very disappointed with the seats especially after all the hype about how comfortable the GEN5 was. I literally spent almost 30 min driving a GEN5 with my wife and she said "Let's go back, I'm in pain. I want to relax in the old Viper." I had my heart set on buying a GEN5, I've been a huge Viper fan since I was a kid, and I was ready to trade up to the GEN5, but that last test drive killed it for me. After reading the Car & Driver review a while back, I screamed at the magazine for suggesting the seats were uncomfortable. Now I know what they meant and I now understand why this car won't win over many Porsche owners. I can't get over how little the headroom is and how tank-like the forward visibility is. Maybe the seats in mine were accidentally stuffed with dead squirrels, I don't know, but I've decided to keep my GTS and go a different route for my next car, and I am really sad about that. It's like finding out the girl of your dreams has aids. :(

P.S. No, I'm not going to buy a ****** and slap in different seats, then it won't look right. And it still won't fix the forward visibility problem.

Last edited:

mblgjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Klama your review is the opposite of how I feel in general. Except the point about forward visibility. That part *****. The viper is about the same as driving a 32 Ford with a 2" chop. Always ducking.

Now, the new seats aren't like the G2 that's for sure, but I like them. They are better than the Porsche 991 Carrera I was planted in for 200miles earlier this week. The leather and the seats in that car were horrible. Hard and narrow. The side mirrors are horrible on the Porsche vs the genv. Never could find an accurate view with them whereas I spotted in the Vipers in seconds.

The forward visibility is certainly better on the 991 though. And it has more lateral elbow room left to right. But for me the seats totally sucked and the base interior is super cheap looking vs an SRT.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am 6'2'', in the Viper you sort of get used to "ducking" the entire time you drive it- in reality you just do it and forget after awhile

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am 6'2'', in the Viper you sort of get used to "ducking" the entire time you drive it- in reality you just do it and forget after awhile

I just can't see myself compromising when the old Vipers didn't have these problems. I really want to, believe me, I have cash in hand to buy one. But ducking all the time just to see out the windshield is unacceptable to me if the old versions didn't have that problem. Honestly, it wasn't just one thing that killed it for me. It was a combination of many things. I don't want to bash the car because it's still a great machine, the exhaust note is the best of any stock Viper, the power is there (though I wished for more because it didn't feel that much faster than my GTS), the steering and brakes were phenomenal, and the suspension soaked up all the Michigan roads. But the interior feel, the visibility, the interior rattles (yes, mine had rattles and noises), and the useless launch control took away from the experience. I was looking forward to the launch control feature and was disappointed with a burnout mess or bogged engine. (LC is worth a lot to me) It may have been the crappy tires, but the thing broke loose easier than my GTS. I know it has more torque on the higher end, but the car would sidestep worse than mine when launching or downshifting. I do have PSS tires and a twin disc clutch, so that may help with the near perfect straight line launches I get every time (3.8 sec 0-60's too), but I just don't see the leap in improvements. One member put it nicely, and I didn't understand what he meant until now, when he said the GEN5 should have been the GEN3 or 4. I may still buy one when they come down into the $70k range someday and I can keep both Vipers, but I just can't justify getting rid of mine for it. I know this turned into a rant and I didn't intend to, but I'm just so upset right now that my dream machine didn't live up to my expectations. I literally just drove a GEN5 for the second time two days ago to have my wife convince me to go for it (which she would have if she loved it), and I hate when she's right, but this time I think she is. Maybe SRT will make some improvements, that visibility issue looks correctable if they would just get rid of that useless huge bulge in the headliner and seats can always be changed. Program that launch control to actually work, put better tires on it, give it over 700HP, and for the sake of Pete unlock that PCM, and then I'll trade up to it.

I really, really want to love the GEN5, but after driving a C7, I see the problem SRT has. Let me tell you, I hate Chevy's. I hate GM, I hate the C4, the C5 and the C6. I went to the Chevy dealer to test drive a C7 to see how inferior it was going to be. I was blown away at how well put together that thing is, how comfortable the seats are now, how good the forward visibility is, how it put the power to the ground, how good the steering was (comparable to an F430) everything about it was almost perfect. I wanted to hate the car, I wanted to tell the salesman what a letdown it was, I wanted to piss all over the car and even take a dump in it. I had to walk away with my head down. If you love the Viper and are set to buy one, DON'T drive the C7, don't even sit in it.
That wonderful experience made me even sadder. :-(

Last edited:

mblgjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My friend said the same about the C7; that is light years beyond the C6 in terms of driving feel/fit/finish.

There will always be division amongst car enthusiasts as to what we each think is better and why. For me, having been in a new 911 with PDK and many C6 cars, the GenV is on another planet. It's very mechanical still and I think that's the stumbling block mentally for a few buyers. There seems to be a handful that wants the car to still be "more" than what it IS; meaning they really want a 599 or 612 Ferrari experience/feel. My perception is the Gen V is simply a race car attempting to be a street car. Where as others (C7, 911) are really built more as street cars first that want to grow up and be race cars. The Viper walks on the "other" side of the imaginary line between street and race. Some cars stay on the street side and Viper pushes it just a little over the line to the other side.

So far my particular car doesn't squeak or rattle. My only cabin noise is from the drivers side air discharge vent to the left of the wheel. It whistles better than Andy Griffith sometimes.

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no rattles in my car either. I have to disagree whole heartedly regarding headroom. although I have never owned a Gen II GTS the new gen V has definitely got more head room than the gen III and IV, no question. I needed the 2 inch seat lowering kit in BOTH my 2005 and 2009 Viper. My 2013 GTS is OK for daily driving, I look out the top 1/3 of the windshield and no doubt would like a bit lower seat.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no rattles in my car either. I have to disagree whole heartedly regarding headroom. although I have never owned a Gen II GTS the new gen V has definitely got more head room than the gen III and IV, no question. I needed the 2 inch seat lowering kit in BOTH my 2005 and 2009 Viper. My 2013 GTS is OK for daily driving, I look out the top 1/3 of the windshield and no doubt would like a bit lower seat.

Yea, I can't comment on previous coupes, I've never owned coupe amongst my vipers. First coupe I ever sat in & drove was the gen5. The verts have a ton of headroom, since there's no liner, etc., all I know is the gen5, maybe every coupe for all I know, don't fit my noggin. We need a Mopar FatHead kit. ;-)

mblgjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IF you have a 2013; ensure you remove these stops. I know it's been discussed but I hadn't seen a picture.

VERY easy to get to and remove.

Small crescent/adj wrech will do, they're not tight. I think they're actually 13mm.

They're about 1.25"/34mm tall.

Move seat fully "up" and fully "forward"; tilt seatback fully forward as well. Stand to the rear of the door opening and run your hand under the seat. These are located in the exact middle of the seat track railing on the bottom. Can't see them, but just let your fingers do the walking and you'll feel the little towers.

You must be registered for see images attach

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just removed mine and makes a big difference. I will also add the seats are definitely stiff when new, but as many have posted before, once broken in, they get more comfortable.

but to compare the gen2 seats to now is difficult as they were not performance seats by today's standard. comfortable, sure.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mblgjr....at 285 lbs you probably don't have too much "head" room in the shower either....hehehe

Last edited:

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pushing 6'6" and find the Gen V claustrophobic, albeit better than the Gen III/IV. I found the Audi R8 to be a lot roomier. Porsche is by far the biggest. A 6'10" guy can comfortable drive a Porsche 911. Hell, even a Ferrari 458 is roomy compared to the Viper. I'd love to see them make the Viper larger inside but it would probably alter the dynamics of the car too much.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm pushing 6'6" and find the Gen V claustrophobic, albeit better than the Gen III/IV. I found the Audi R8 to be a lot roomier. Porsche is by far the biggest. A 6'10" guy can comfortable drive a Porsche 911. Hell, even a Ferrari 458 is roomy compared to the Viper. I'd love to see them make the Viper larger inside but it would probably alter the dynamics of the car too much.

I sat in a 458, the same day I tested the GEN5, and it was freakin' huge. Best interior of any car under $300k. Porsche is definitely the roomiest. I don't care so much about room as I do about visibility and basic comfort. I don't need to be cradled, but I don't want to be punished during the drive. And I don't want to look forward to getting out of the car, and in both test drives in the GEN5, I just wanted to get out and drive away in my GEN2 and actually see out the windshield and relieve my backache.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth