Heat Insulation for exhaust

viperjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm installing a Corsa side exhaust and was looking for ideas on heat proofing the car. Has anyone tried a heat blanket or insulation on the exhaust?

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FFIW, I just had my Corsa Track installed and it is cooler than stock. It's summertime, so the sills still do get hot, but not that searing, burn-the-skin-off-your-legs hot. Now I can go for a long drive, and when I get out of the car I can place my hand on the sill and not get burnt.

It seems as though it's a bit cooler inside the car as well since the crossover is now gone. I still have all 4 cats on car too.

I was advised not to wrap the exhaust for moisture reasons, which can cause rust in time.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That thread is a bunch of BS!! I have instaled hundreds of the Roe Racing's insulation blankets over the last three years and NEVER had a problem with them!! It is made of ceramic. Yes if it gets soked with oil or something, then that will burn! GOT IT?:omg:

Jim go ahead and add it!

Wonder why Sean never responded to that thread. With or without the emotion you possess. That simple fact alone has people concerned about his products. I personally have several thousand dollars of his stuff on my car, so I'm not dissing the man or his business. But yes, based on the thread that I posted here, I would never use it on my car. Ceramic or not. And by the way, even rocks burn at the right temperature.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the ceramic blanket material on the exhaust in my side-sills (I sourced it from the manufacture not Roe) and my report is that it is a trade off. It does help. While driving the sills are a little cooler and the interior is a little cooler. The difference is noticeable at first, then after you have it on for a couple of drives you will start wondering if it is doing anything. BUT, the blankets also keep the heat in after you shut the car off. In other words they help keep the side sills hot for a lot longer than without the material wrapped around the exhaust. The end result is the interior cooks for longer. So for example if you take the car out for a spin then park it back in the garage and not drive it for another day or longer the blanket material is all upside. But if you drive to dinner, sit and eat for two hours, then get back in the car to go home, the car will be much hotter than if you did not have the insulation material around the exhaust. I still think an effective way to get positive pressure air to flow through the side sill and around the exhaust would be the ultimate solution (at least while you are moving).

A1998

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That thread is a bunch of BS!! I have instaled hundreds of the Roe Racing's insulation blankets over the last three years and NEVER had a problem with them!! It is made of ceramic. Yes if it gets soked with oil or something, then that will burn! GOT IT?:omg:

Jim go ahead and add it!

Wonder why Sean never responded to that thread

Sean didn't respond because no one ever contacted him about it!! I became somewhat concerned because I installed the blanket also last winter. I thought about calling Tator, then thought, why not ask the man himself. So last night I E-mailed Sean, and this is the response that I got!

Hi Jeff,
I need to get in touch with that owner. To my knowledge, he never contacted us about this.
The blanked is a ceramic refractory insulation.
It in itself is not flammable.
However, contaminants could be.
I saw a Viper light up a stock side sill many years ago at a Viper Days event (stock cats and stock insulation).
So, anything is possible.
I see no immediate need to remove it from your car.
I’ll see if I can get a sample of what was removed from the car and test it / get with the manufacturer.
Regards,
Sean

I couldn't believe no one took the time to inquire until now. Hope this helps.

JBaker / A1998

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jim go ahead and add it!

Wonder why Sean never responded to that thread

Sean didn't respond because no one ever contacted him about it!! I became somewhat concerned because I installed the blanket also last winter. I thought about calling Tator, then thought, why not ask the man himself. So last night I E-mailed Sean, and this is the response that I got!

Hi Jeff,
I need to get in touch with that owner. To my knowledge, he never contacted us about this.
The blanked is a ceramic refractory insulation.
It in itself is not flammable.
However, contaminants could be.
I saw a Viper light up a stock side sill many years ago at a Viper Days event (stock cats and stock insulation).
So, anything is possible.
I see no immediate need to remove it from your car.
I’ll see if I can get a sample of what was removed from the car and test it / get with the manufacturer.
Regards,
Sean

I couldn't believe no one took the time to inquire until now. Hope this helps.

JBaker / A1998

I don't know Sean as well as some, but I occasionally see him pipe in on stuff. Just Like Jon B does. Just like Tator does. Do all of them get phone calls or emails or PM's or ??? to know what's going on at these forums?

And please, if you're going to quote me, don't edit it to your taste. :nono:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456