Heater Blowing Steam

PJDPower

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in Georgia, so I haven't used the heater for awhile on my 1997 GTS. However, it was cold this weekend. When I cranked the heater on it quickly steamed up the windshield. This doesn't happen when I run the blower with no heat on. I am quessing that I may have a cracked heater coil. Does anyone have any idea of what might be causing this?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it was antifreeze or coolant it should smell like such. If no odor it is likely condensate from not driving the car. Sooooooo, drive the snot out of it and dry that baby out!

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own a shop in Atlanta--parts and labor--using a new factory heater core at my cost--668.00 give me a call-- one day, in and out!

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not worry about it. Every vehicle I own when I put the heater setting to windshield, especially if I just got in the car, it will creature fog on the windshield initially.

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my car does this as well; it has done it since I bought the car
I thought I had a heater core leak and I watched the coolant level and it never changed
and like Dave said, it doesn't smell like coolant and doesn't leave any residue on the windshield
it usually comes from water getting down into the blower intake from washing or rain

sekhmet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it usually comes from water getting down into the blower intake from washing or rain

This happens to me.

It would be obvious if it were coolant because there would be a greasy residue left on the windshield, and the smell of course.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh you warm weather guys. :dunno:

Temp change will cause that. Especially if you are just starting, it will blow cold for a bit and actually cause your window to fog up. should go away fairly quickly with continued heat. Nothing is wrong with your car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery