Heavy Duty Half Shafts ??

kARLUG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am awaiting delivery of a Roe supercharger for My Gen 1. It already has some mods and gets 447 rwhp on the dyno. I'm expecting another 100 to 140 rwhp with the supercharger. Is it time to go to the heavy duty shafts? I'm at least getting the safety loops but i'm tempted to go all the way. The car isn't used at the drags or track but do some spirited desert driving in Vegas. If a shaft breaks does it present a dangerous situation?

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I broke a couple of half shafts with less than 500 HP. Both times were with street tires. One time was on the street, the other at the track.

If you're doing high speed driving (no hole shots) then you won't have much of a problem with the stock half shafts, but if you plan to nail it from a standing start the risk goes up. Also, you can get stranded if you break one. This may be an issue if you are out in the desert

Breaking a half shaft can be dangerous. The safety loops help in containing a broken shaft. One of mine broke before I had the safety loops and it took out a nice chunk out of the differential housing.

The only drawback in replacing them is the expense, but the safety they provide is worth it.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want to get really serious, look in the classifieds for Albert Box's super rear end upgrade. Redoes the whole differential with choice of gears plus all new super duty half-shafts. Big bucks at $4,500 but will never fail plus he is in Phoenix so close to you.