Heffner Supercharger Results - WOW!! (pics)

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got my Viper back from Jason Heffner today and all I can say is WOW!!! What an incredible ride! Anybody that knows Jason and his work know what a perfectionist he is and it shows in his work. The pictures below don't do real justice, but not only does this Viper kick a$$, it's a work of mechanical art. The engineering that went into it is top notch and the results are equally as impressive. All I can say is, Thanks Jason!

The initial dyno results after 100 break-in miles are 677.4 rwhp and 660.0 ft/lbs rwtq! The setup does not require anything but pump gas and does not require any secondary fuel sources. When Jason started this project, I told him I wanted 3 things out of it: 1) A bullet-proof engine, 2) it must be completely streetable, and 3) I wanted at least 650 rwhp. A water-to-air intercooler is in the works that will build off the baseline of 677 HP.

This project included a complete rebuild of my engine at my request. I now have Ross Pistons, a nice lumpy '97 cam, balanced rotating assembly, extensive headwork, roller rockers, high-flow fuel injectors, a complete fuel management system, and oh yeah, the Supercharger. If this car didn't turn heads before (it did) it definitely does now. The incredulous look on people's faces as they see my Viper and then hear that blower is priceless!

I'll let Jason handle any questions about what he did and pricing. All I can say is that I couldn't be any happier. Many of you know the nightmare I went through with my former Venom 650. I now have a better car that meets all my expectations.

I really have to say one more thing about Jason, I've never seen anybody work longer hours (days and weekends) to make his customers happy. Where else can you hang out while he works on your car? (and play Gran Turismo 3 at his shop) I am 100% pleased with the way things turned out and can recommend him to anyone that wants quality work.

Check out those anodized fuel rails!
HeffnerBlower1.JPG

Very clean installation!
HeffnerBlower2.JPG

She's bad!
HeffnerBlower3.JPG

The results:
DynoChart.JPG

zoomie

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Wow! Gary and Jason, great system, outstanding dyno performance numbers, and a beautiful, well-designed system. Way to go, Jason!

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice setup, beautiful workanship, and excellent numbers!

2 question... 1 - Which blower is that? It looks like a Vortech T trim, maybe? 2 - How much boost were you running?

Inquiring minds are dying to know!

Jason - great work on that!

Joseph

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, very nice install and very nice numbers! Get thee to the track (with some slicks) and tell us how it runs!

OP
OP
G

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks fellas!

Treynor reminded me of something I forgot to mention. I'll be taking this beast to the track in a couple of weeks to see what kind of numbers I can put down. I really didn't want to have all this work done just to make big dyno numbers. I'm hoping to back it up with some good 1/4 mile numbers.

Joseph:
You're right, it's the Vortech T Trim blower. It's running about 9 lbs. of boost.

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great numbers and very smooth dyno sheet!! Install looks great and you should be able to put down some good numbers at the track.

Are your heads from your Venom 650? Are you running the stock fuel pump? How long did the project take from start to finish?

I would change out the purple hose with red.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flat out AWESOME!!
hail[1].gif
supergrin.gif

Looks great! I can imagine how it sounds!

Please post some 1/4 times after you get out! I hope you are using some sticky rubber!!

OP
OP
G

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Anthony - 98 GTS:
Great numbers and very smooth dyno sheet!! Install looks great and you should be able to put down some good numbers at the track.

Are your heads from your Venom 650? Are you running the stock fuel pump? How long did the project take from start to finish?

I would change out the purple hose with red.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Anthony!

The heads are from my Venom 650, but they were reworked to give me even better flow numbers. Also, the Venom 650 heads had the stock-size valves and odd-ratio rockers which were all changed out. I'm running a Weldon racing fuel pump to give the extra fuel flow needed to keep up. Actually, the hoses are blue (hmmm, sounds like a poem) and I thought it would like nice to have some contrast under the hood from all that red. When the intercooler gets installed, a lot of the tubes you see will be changed out.

As far as how long it took, there were 3 major vendor problems that Jason had to deal with that stretched this project out about 5 months. Jason's part took less than 4 weeks overall but there were problems with 3 suppliers that stretched out the project. 1) A local machine shop only had to bore out the cylinders .010" but he took 3 months to do it (the "squeaky wheel" concept did not work in this case). 2) The guy who made the fuel rails promised 2 week delivery and ended up taking 2 months. 3) Ross Racing made the pistons the wrong size and their typical turn around time is 6 weeks, but they "fast-tracked" it and got the correct ones back in 2 weeks. All these things added up. Jason has corrected the problems (using a new machine shop, ordered a small inventory of the fuel rails, and corrected Ross's design database). Bottom line is that it was definitely worth the wait!!

By the way, the sound is awesome! I can't tell which sounds better to me, the whistle from the blower, or the deep, throaty, lumpy exhaust that screams HP all over it!

lleone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
&gt; Heffner Supercharged - 677 rwhp 660 rwtq

Nice chart. More HP than torque. Excellent top-end breathing.
I'm jealous.

Congrats on the upgrade and kudos to Heffners!

(Hmm, I am going to be in Severna Park this winter, Heffners isn't too far at all...)

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Max, the small conical filter is not the air inlet for the engine. It is mounted to the supercharger bypass valve to prevent any debris from getting traped into the valve. The blower is a Vortech T trim pushing 8-9 psi of boost. This car could easily make well into the 700 rwhp range with a couple more pounds of boost but trying to keep maximum reliability in mind we decided to go with an intercooler. That will give us the power we want with very little boost so that Gary can look forward to years of trouble free cruising with no race fuel. Thanks guys for all the compliments. If you think the engine looks cool you should see the rest of the car.

DJ Self

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary

677 rwhp is awsome! Can't wait to see what it does at the track.

Good work Jason.

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ross -v- Venolia.

Venolia pistons are a quality item but 20-33% cheaper than Ross.

Further, if you burn a single piston, Venolia will make you a single replacement piston at only 50% over the going rate. More pistons get you back to the going rate.

Ross will only make you 4 more pistons at the going rate. You can't buy just one!. So that means when you buy a set of Ross pistons, you order 1 or 2 spares just in case.

While Ross may have some of the latest technologies, their replacement piston policy is a touchy point with me - especially with blown engines.

Keller

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason
This is a little off subject but what is your take on the stock OEM cast vs. forged piston debate especially concerning forced induction?

Thank you
Josh

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keller, I think the stock Hypereutectic pistons are fine for low levels of boost. Once you go over 5-6 psi the hypereutectics will fail. Some of the reasons are 1 hypereutctic pistons are strong, lightweight, and very brittle, excessive cylinder pressure, hitting the rev limiter, or the slightest bit of detonation will cause them to break. 2 in 2000 and newer cars they used a longer connecting rod which is good for power but forces the top piston ring to be very close to the top of the piston which can lead to pinching of the rings which will lead to oil in the cylinder which will lead to detonation which will lead to engine failure. The stock forged pistons are great. They will easily hold 12 psi on a properly tuned car. Plus cars with factory forged pistons have shorter rods which allows space to move the rings down further. I hope this answers your question.

Keller

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason
Thank you for the knowledgable reply. I believe I will be looking for a 99 gts real soon:) I'm going to supercharge the beast so the forged pistons sound like the way to go.
Thanks again
Josh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi